Should I go!?

BigB0882

Mouseketeer
I think I know what most responses will be on this board but I am curious what you all think, anyway.

My husband and I just got back from an AMAZING Disney vacation over Christmas. We came back and immediately began looking for when we could return. We are thinking Mardi Gras 2019 since it will not be very close to Presidents Day in 2019 and we are off a few days since we are in education and work in Louisiana.

However, my husband is going back in a couple of weeks for a conference and ANOTHER conference has been offered to him at Disney in June of this year. Since I am a teacher I am off all summer and have the opportunity to go along.

The pros, of course, are that the room is paid for and he will receive a per diem for food so a lot of his food will be covered and his plane ticket is also covered. The costs will be anything he spends in food over his per diem (easy to do at Disney), my plane ticket and both of our park tickets (but he will get a special conference rate since he wont be able to go into the park until the afternoon).

I am thinking it is a no-brainer. When will we ever get to go to Disney for so cheap? However, this is late June. I can just imagine it being 95 degrees every day and absolutely miserable. I would rather go during the busiest time of year like we just did than deal with heat.

I don't want to spend all that money on me and end up not wanting to even step foot in the parks until it is dark. My tickets will be full day tickets since I am not part of the conference. I don't mind going back to the room mid-day for a nap so I guess that is an option. I could always just go as early as possible and when the heat is too much go back to the room until my husband is done and we can go back together when it is (hopefully) cooler.

Should I bite the bullet and commit? I hate to pass up a Disney trip and I want to be decided soon so I can make sure to get our fastpasses at the 60 day mark and begin working on dining reservations.

You were right all the way back at "I am thinking it is as no-brainer." You're right...it sounds like a much less expensive trip, given the circumstances. There are ways to deal with the heat. SO MANY rides are indoors and there are attractions like Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor, Philharmagic, Muppets, etc that are sit down in the coolness kinds of attractions. I won't lie, it can be very hot/ humid in June. But...it's hot and humid in Louisiana, right? I've been there...it can be. Might as well be in WDW. I vote 'go'! :wave::wave2::wave:

Definitely go!! It is hot but doable if you take breaks and don't try to do too much. I doubt it will be any hotter than Louisiana so you will be fine. We go to the parks at rope drop and leave by 11-12 or after lunch if eating in the park. Then go back to the resort for the afternoon, have dinner and go to a park in the evening after it cools off. Another option is to enjoy the pool and resort during the day and only go to the parks at night after it cools off a bit.

Not sure how many days you'll be doing between the trip in June and the Mardi Gras trip, but you might want to look at getting an AP just for you. That could net you some savings in tickets, resort discount for 2019 and you could get the TiW to save on food too.

go, Go, GO!!! We had something similar-friends offer us their timeshare for free in December. We had a ball and pressure was off since our costs were down so we looked at it as a bonus trip. Summer is hot, but there are ways to beat the heat. You can rope drop, leave at lunch time, nap, swim, read a book, whatever until DH is done for the day. Hit the parks in the evenings when it is starting to cool down (it will still be really warm). Have fun!!!

I was able to get my husband tickets through my conference at the discounted rate. They allowed spouses and children to get these tickets.

Might be worth checking to see if you could get the discounted after 4PM tickets.

While I am at the conference, DH hangs out at the pool. Then we go out at night. Late June is HOT, but we really enjoy touring once the sun goes down.

Another yes to go in June.

First, you could have nicer weather. We started the year on the cold side in Orlando; so, maybe, it will be cooler all year.

Second, if you have the early extra magic morning hour then use them every day. You will get more done in that hour than you can imagine. Do rope drop if you can't do early mornings.

You can alternate air conditioning shows with rides if you need to cool off some. Stay hydrated; that will help, too.

Third, take a break in the heat of the day. Then, go back at night with hubby.

Fourth, if you want to be with hubby on some main attractions you may have to wait until evening to get your fastpasses together. That means you will be stand by when you go alone into the parks during the day.

If the budget allows, go ahead and pick up APs for you and your husband on your next trip. Then enjoy them again at Mardi Gras 19

I understand what you mean, as I can't handle the heat/humidity either. We went mid-May one year, and the sun was already intense, with temps in the mid-90s all week. Only thing that saved me was the full humidity of summer hadn't set in yet. I can't even imagine being there at that time - yikes! Plus I'm quite fair-skinned, and burn easily. I was even one of those people who got the dreaded heat-rash at the bottoms of my legs after being in AK. And this was in May! All that being said....if you do go, to only venture out in the mornings and evenings. Or in the rain, as the clouds at that time provide great cover from the heat of the sun.

Look at it this way. If your cost is low, then you can have expectations that match. Don’t push yourself to do commando touring in the heat. Even if you just do a little bit each day and hang out in the pool more than you otherwise would, it will still be a lot of fun. Just being at WDW adjusts my attitude in a positive way. I’ve done golf trips there where parks were a very low priority, and Spring Training trips where parks were a very, very low priority. And I will soon do a culinary trip where parks won’t even be a factor. Just being there is fun.

A number thoughts... first, what a pleasant conundrum to face. Second, you are right about the reactions you will get from DisBoard! I will add my vote: Go!

I will also second the suggestion to investigate getting an annual pass. At least for you. It sounds like your husband will have access to low cost tickets. And with one annual pass you will have access to a number of discounts.

As far as the heat goes, yes it will be hot and humid. As you are from Louisiana I would propose that you will be better able to deal with the heat better than most, especially us northerners. Since you will be making a number of trips, make each visit low key. No need to rush around and do everything in one trip. If it fits your vacation style, consider getting up early, be there before rope drop, do your favorite attractions, and take a break as soon as the crowds or the heat build up. You can get a lot done in those first few hours. And then enjoy a nap during the heat of the day. That's my kind of vacation.

Wishing you a happy year of Disney!

Typically I would never go during the summer, but given the circumstances, I'd have to say do it. However, I'm from Louisiana myself and during our last trip in late September, I still found myself overheating easy and sweating like crazy even at 8pm... But we would go all day and not take near as many breaks as we should have so I would definitely say take advantage of EMH, get there for rope drop, stay til about 11am, go back to the hotel for lunch and a cool down or even tour the other hotels (DM and I did this on our last trip and really enjoyed it) then head back into the park around 4pm. On a park with EMH, sometimes it'll be open until midnight which gives plenty of time to see just about everything if you plan it right.

But I'm not going to lie to you, it's gonna be hot...

I think it just depends on how badly the heat normally impacts you.

It's easy to say yes because it's so affordable, but it really doesn't matter how much you spend if the weather will make you miserable.

I for one could not do it, but I am a very fair skinned girl from Vancouver - middle of the road temperature is my happy place and I know it. I went in October 2016 and THAT was quite a bit too warm for me on some days. I did not enjoy sweating in costume at MNSSHP. June in Florida would be torture for me so no amount of discount would be a good deal for me. But only you know your personal preference/tolerance. If you'd be ok in the temperatures later on in the day I'd think it would be totally worth it.

I decided to go for it! I am going to get the Annual Pass I think, since we are planning to go for 6 park days and when we go back we will do another 6 or so. My husband my do the AP as well because he has a conference in a week, then this one in the summer plus our planned trip during Mardi Gras. The problem is the AP wouldn't help him for both the trip next week AND Mardi Gras 19 since that is more than a year. So we will need to do the math on whether it is worth it for him to have it for the summer conference plus Mardi Gras.

My plan is to take it easy, go early and come back to rest and get out of the sun then go back in the evening. If I have an AP then I will feel even more relaxed as I won't feel like I am wasting a ticket so much knowing that I have tickets for an entire year in case another surprise opportunity presents itself.

ETA: Wouldn't it be best to go ahead and purchase regular tickets so we can do our fastpasses at Day 60 and wait to upgrade until we are on site? I want to do the upgrade very last minute so we can try and go back very early summer 2019. If we buy APs when we purchase our tickets then they would expire before then.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter