Should buses be modified to take >2 scooters?

For god's sake, someone related being crawled on by strangers children while parked! This should be shocking, but its nowhere close to the worst. It's so common that we've stopped seeing it.

Yeah, that's happened to me more than once. Some kid (parents nowhere in sight) tried to climb up and stand on my injured foot to watch IllumiNations.

Waiting for Rope Drop at the MK, a woman was holding her preschooler so the kid's feet were dangling at my head level. The kid was swinging her legs and kicking me, none too softly, right in the noggin. I politely pointed out to the mother what was happening, and that the crowd was so heavy I couldn't move my ECV even an inch, and she just shrugged and resumed talking to the woman on her other side. I had to crouch down until the crowd started moving.

Yeah, that's happened to me more than once. Some kid (parents nowhere in sight) tried to climb up and stand on my injured foot to watch IllumiNations.

Waiting for Rope Drop at the MK, a woman was holding her preschooler so the kid's feet were dangling at my head level. The kid was swinging her legs and kicking me, none too softly, right in the noggin. I politely pointed out to the mother what was happening, and that the crowd was so heavy I couldn't move my ECV even an inch, and she just shrugged and resumed talking to the woman on her other side. I had to crouch down until the crowd started moving.

I don't understand parenting like this. How is kicking someone in the head OK? Frankly, I don't think half of the parents now should actually be parents. In no way do they teach their children right from wrong. The sad thing is that down the road the child will suffer. You were nicer then I would have been. If someone, child or no, was kicking me in the head and I asked them to stop and it kept going on, everyone in the area would know and security would be called. These parents have this mentality that their children can do anything because they are children. Kids do things like that because they are children and do not know better, hence the reason for parents to teach them.

I don't understand parenting like this. How is kicking someone in the head OK? Frankly, I don't think half of the parents now should actually be parents. In no way do they teach their children right from wrong. The sad thing is that down the road the child will suffer. You were nicer then I would have been. If someone, child or no, was kicking me in the head and I asked them to stop and it kept going on, everyone in the area would know and security would be called. These parents have this mentality that their children can do anything because they are children. Kids do things like that because they are children and do not know better, hence the reason for parents to teach them.
Its not just kids. We were waiting for Happily Ever After with my son in his "safe space" of a jogging stroller. We had an adult push past us and straddle the front wheel of the stroller. With my child still in it. I admit, I did let my child pull himself up on the man. It's not like he had much of a choice since his rear was about an inch from his face.

I like how MK dose the all stars at the end of the night everyone get in the same line the pull wheelchair ECV out fair enough before boarding ( pretty much they had one full bus load of people that can load on a bus ) this works so well no one cut the line and everyone e wait the same time
I have found this not to be true. I have had my kids get on a bus when I have been told to wait for the next one. As adults they go through the line with their kids and my husband goes with me. They can be after me in line but will still get on the bus while I am left behind. I absolutely hate the way they do it at MK. I am not comfortable with people pressing in on me and trying to pass me because I am using a wheelchair. they always seem to pass on my left which is where my controller is located. This causes my chair to spin when they hit me. and then they get mad because they get hit. Not my idea of a pleasant end to my night.

I have found this not to be true. I have had my kids get on a bus when I have been told to wait for the next one. As adults they go through the line with their kids and my husband goes with me. They can be after me in line but will still get on the bus while I am left behind. I absolutely hate the way they do it at MK. I am not comfortable with people pressing in on me and trying to pass me because I am using a wheelchair. they always seem to pass on my left which is where my controller is located. This causes my chair to spin when they hit me. and then they get mad because they get hit. Not my idea of a pleasant end to my night.
I find this odd I have been with people both on wheelchair ( not manel so the ones with joy sticks) and ECV no one has every try to pass them ( or me when I was alone). And we did not have to wait any longer for the bus yes we waited for between 5 and 7 buses but everyone else did too. When the lines are this long they use two bus stops so one line of buses equals one full bus I have been very close to where you turn when your now at the front of the line and the CM will pull us out and say your close enough you might get on and will board us most of the time they are right sometimes they are not but at the end of the night buses come about every 3 minutes some time there is already a bus waiting right behind the bus being loaddd. I am with you I do not like the crowded area of the bus stop but sometimes I am just done for the day.

I am sure you already do this but my friend with the wheelchair will hold his had so that it guards his joy stick in crowded area. It is a little hard for him since he has CP but it works and people do not bump it and he only moves when he wants too. Now people getting tangled in his feet now that is a different story.

I find this odd I have been with people both on wheelchair ( not manel so the ones with joy sticks) and ECV no one has every try to pass them ( or me when I was alone). And we did not have to wait any longer for the bus yes we waited for between 5 and 7 buses but everyone else did too. When the lines are this long they use two bus stops so one line of buses equals one full bus I have been very close to where you turn when your now at the front of the line and the CM will pull us out and say your close enough you might get on and will board us most of the time they are right sometimes they are not but at the end of the night buses come about every 3 minutes some time there is already a bus waiting right behind the bus being loaddd. I am with you I do not like the crowded area of the bus stop but sometimes I am just done for the day.

I am sure you already do this but my friend with the wheelchair will hold his had so that it guards his joy stick in crowded area. It is a little hard for him since he has CP but it works and people do not bump it and he only moves when he wants too. Now people getting tangled in his feet now that is a different story.
I've had many people try to pass me. At least one tried to step between my body and the tiller of my scooter. I'm not a small person and there wasn't room. The person was trying to "catch up" with the family. My husband was behind me, block people from going around that way, so this person tried to walk through me. They didn't make it. But it definitely happens.

I've had many people try to pass me. At least one tried to step between my body and the tiller of my scooter. I'm not a small person and there wasn't room. The person was trying to "catch up" with the family. My husband was behind me, block people from going around that way, so this person tried to walk through me. They didn't make it. But it definitely happens.
Yah people trying to get up with people they know ahead of them in line drives me crazy. I was in the FP line for buz when someone did this too my friend in a ECV and I Somehow my friend moved her ECV and the person was on the ground she got up and started yelling at my friend the person in front of us he was around 6 foot 3 if not taller stood over the guest and told her not to cut in line and that she was not getting around him she started to say her friends where up ahead he just said well they should have waited for you. I find the bus stops have less people trying to get up with people in front of them and when they do it is when people pretty fair back that they can sometimes just go under the railing

Last edited:

had the same happen to me in MK. Asked him to stop kicking me and was ignored until I told the guy if his kid kicked me again my power chair would be hitting his person. No I was not nice about it.

I don’t know why it is different for you. Maybe I am over looked because of my size as I am very short. Plus I do not grip the joystick but operate it with my hand flat and the joystick between my ring and middle fingers with my left hand. This is to avoid carpel tunnel. My hands are my voice and my eyes serve as my ears.

had the same happen to me in MK. Asked him to stop kicking me and was ignored until I told the guy if his kid kicked me again my power chair would be hitting his person. No I was not nice about it.

I don’t know why it is different for you. Maybe I am over looked because of my size as I am very short. Plus I do not grip the joystick but operate it with my hand flat and the joystick between my ring and middle fingers with my left hand. This is to avoid carpel tunnel. My hands are my voice and my eyes serve as my ears.
My friend is also short and use his justice the same way ( do not know what two finger he uses but for the most part it is between two finger like you said) with his CP he does not have great use of his hand and he has a hard time going straight when he changes how his hand hold the joy stick but he finds less people bump it whe he shone what shield it again people are rude at Disney and just becuse you use a. Wheelchair does not mean it does not happen to use walker I a just 5 foot 110 pounds and someone walked into me so he’s trying to get up with other i front of him he nocked memover them nicely stepped on me while yelling for me to get out of the way. Al I was saying is that at the end of the night MK all stars buss do the line a fair as they can. There have been times it was too crowded for me and I simply sat off to the side and waited for the line to die down it sucks having to be with in sight of the bus being tired over stmileted close to it having a meltdown and having to wait that much longer to get ona bus to go back to your room I get it but I still feel they do it the fairest of all

Yep, me too

I like how MK dose the all stars at the end of the night everyone get in the same line the pull wheelchair ECV out fair enough before boarding ( pretty much they had one full bus load of people that can load on a bus ) this works so well no one cut the line and everyone e wait the same time
Well, I’m not sure all the bus drivers like it.

We were in the line for the bus one evening at MK, me and my personal ECV got into the regular line because a CM told me to. A bus had already come, been loaded to standing room only and pulled off. I was the only ECV user in line at the stop. The next bus pulled in, backed up and opened the middle door to drop the ramp. The driver pointed at me and said “please bring the ECV over here and pointed at the Handicapped gate where the disabled symbol is painted on the ground. The CM yelled at him (over the noise of the ramp lowering and beeping) “No, we’re not doing that, she’s not next in line”. The bus driver yelled at the CM “This is my bus, nobody tells me how to load it”, then motioned me forward with a “come on, come on”.

It was kinda hard to work my way through the crowd and metal bars to in order find an opening to get through with the ECV at that point, but I did it. Not just because I needed a spot on the bus, but also because the CM was still arguing and everyone was watching. I just wanted the spectacle to be over.

As the driver was strapping down the ECV he was still having an agitated conversation with himself to the effect of, “this is my bus, I’ve been driving a bus all my life, telling me how to load a bus ...”. I hadn’t yet said a word and I think he could tell I was upset. He told me I hadn’t done anything wrong, but they don’t like trying to load the buses at Magic Kingdom when the wheelchairs weren’t already waiting at their designated spot.

As our bus pulled off, another bus was pulling up to the bus stop.

We were in the line for the bus one evening at MK, me and my personal ECV got into the regular line because a CM told me to. A bus had already come, been loaded to standing room only and pulled off. I was the only ECV user in line at the stop. The next bus pulled in, backed up and opened the middle door to drop the ramp. The driver pointed at me and said “please bring the ECV over here and pointed at the Handicapped gate where the disabled symbol is painted on the ground. The CM yelled at him (over the noise of the ramp lowering and beeping) “No, we’re not doing that, she’s not next in line”. The bus driver yelled at the CM “This is my bus, nobody tells me how to load it”, then motioned me forward with a “come on, come on”.

It was kinda hard to work my way through the crowd and metal bars to in order find an opening to get through with the ECV at that point, but I did it. Not just because I needed a spot on the bus, but also because the CM was still arguing and everyone was watching. I just wanted the spectacle to be over.

As the driver was strapping down the ECV he was still having an agitated conversation with himself to the effect of, “this is my bus, I’ve been driving a bus all my life, telling me how to load a bus ...”. I hadn’t yet said a word and I think he could tell I was upset. He told me I hadn’t done anything wrong, but they don’t like trying to load the buses at Magic Kingdom when the wheelchairs weren’t already waiting at their designated spot.

Never mind I am over this people in wheelchairs ECC have to so bad they should never wait for any bus. People only walk though push people inwheelchsor ECV the time someone push past me so hard that I fell the few time people in ECV hit me when I was standing next too a wall. I never said everyone liked it ( I do 100% like it as it can be way too crowded for me to handle so I wait off to the side. I find this to be the fairest way where there are much less why do they go fist we waited 2, 3 busses becuse people see wheelchair ECV people waiting in line until it is there tome to load. If I was there I would have said no to the drive if I was not close enough to load on that bus and for him to not take me before others ( my friend did this going to the park when we just pulled up and there was a very long line going to the park one morning.

I’m kinda torn on this.

On one hand, yes, because the wait for another bus can be unreasonably long and if you have a dining reservation or Fast Pass time coming up at another Park/Hotel, you run the risk of missing it (and if you miss your dining reservation, you have to pay $10/person.)

Another thing with missing the bus if two other people with Scooters/Wheelchairs got on before you is if it’s going to rain. The bus stations (Especially the one at MGM Studios) don’t adequately cover the scooter loading area or they have a VERY INCONVENIENT LEAK over where the scooters and wheelchairs go over to board the bus. And the VERY FIRST THING that’s in a scooter or powerchair manual is DO NOT expose your powerchair/scooter to any water under ANY circumstances.” The reason for this is that the electronics in the tiller/joystick can be damaged if exposed to water and cause the unit to not work properly and would need potential repair/service by a certified technician.

On the other hand, no, the scooter will take up at least 3 seats. (plus an additional seat if the person can/does transfer out of it.) and the people in their parties get priority boarding privileges and some traveling parties can be huge. (One time, I saw a party of 20 accompanying 1 guy in a scooter and they alone took up half of the seats on the bus. (Plus the guy in the scooter got out and took up an additional seat.) and if you board the bus after the scooter party, seats can be at a premium (and if you have tired young kids/or can’t stand on a moving bus, it can be frustrating.) and when the so-called “Sardine Bus” is at capacity, you’ll have to wait an additional 20 minutes.

We had an issue at MK we rented a EVC (got there early to make sure we got one for my mother). We stay to the right side near the sales area but up close to the gate that was being closed from employess since it was not open yet. Perfectly fine just my moms evc my husband son and me waiting in the masses. When more people decided to squeeze themselves between the evc and closer to the front of the line. (the sapce was not there to fit ppl but to make sure my mom didnt hit anyone on accedent due to being on a hill.

Once the rope dropped peoplejust RAN. So I tried my best to guard my mother so she could move I was just saying "excuse me" Because if I was not in front she could not move without hitting anyone due to people cutting her off. This one lady turned to me i said "sorry just dont want anyone to lose toes" and shes said "well thats your problem!" I was really taken back.. The overall evc experiance was horrible for my family. Just so hard to get around groups of people.

We had an issue at MK we rented a EVC (got there early to make sure we got one for my mother). We stay to the right side near the sales area but up close to the gate that was being closed from employess since it was not open yet. Perfectly fine just my moms evc my husband son and me waiting in the masses. When more people decided to squeeze themselves between the evc and closer to the front of the line. (the sapce was not there to fit ppl but to make sure my mom didnt hit anyone on accedent due to being on a hill.

Once the rope dropped peoplejust RAN. So I tried my best to guard my mother so she could move I was just saying "excuse me" Because if I was not in front she could not move without hitting anyone due to people cutting her off. This one lady turned to me i said "sorry just dont want anyone to lose toes" and shes said "well thats your problem!" I was really taken back.. The overall evc experiance was horrible for my family. Just so hard to get around groups of people.

Just as bad as those parents with the gigantic jogging strollers that they use as battering rams to plow into everyone just so they can get to whatever ride they’re going to.

More than once I have had people lean on the back of my wheelchair at Disney during Wishes and Illuminations. Once a woman who was changing her baby’s diaper on a bench outside of Test Track at Epcot set her diaper bag on top of the front basket on my ECV while I was sitting there parked, waiting for my party.

I would have backed up, turned a bit and pretended to take off with the bag, LOL!

He might not have liked it, but it was the correct policy that the CM was trying to enforce at the time. The bus driver was lucky no one got hurt as you had to get through the crowd.

I’m kinda torn on this.

On the other hand, no, the scooter will take up at least 3 seats. (plus an additional seat if the person can/does transfer out of it.) and the people in their parties get priority boarding privileges and some traveling parties can be huge. (One time, I saw a party of 20 accompanying 1 guy in a scooter and they alone took up half of the seats on the bus. (Plus the guy in the scooter got out and took up an additional seat.) and if you board the bus after the scooter party, seats can be at a premium (and if you have tired young kids/or can’t stand on a moving bus, it can be frustrating.) and when the so-called “Sardine Bus” is at capacity, you’ll have to wait an additional 20 minutes.
No person should be bringing 20 others with them unless it is a group with only 2 adults and 18 young children, a very unlikely scenario. Technically only the ECV user and 5 others is the limit. At our highest we have a total of nine (9) but will split and each group have a parent or both parents and their children. Our last trip we were 5; husband, myself, my daughter and her 2 boys. Daughter went to go through the line and the driver asked if we were together and then told my daughter and the boys to join us.
Only once have I gone with a group of 10 and we all entered together. Two of us in power chairs so it was ok

Did you say anything to the bus driver? Were they there before everyone else got there?

I guess I am just really surprised that no one said anything to anyone about it. There could have been a very good explanation for it. Like they called that bus for the large party, and picking up additional people was a bonus.

Also, I really wish people would stop commenting on the fact that someone riding a scooter gets up and takes a bus seat. They are suppose to.
No person should be bringing 20 others with them unless it is a group with only 2 adults and 18 young children, a very unlikely scenario. Technically only the ECV user and 5 others is the limit. At our highest we have a total of nine (9) but will split and each group have a parent or both parents and their children. Our last trip we were 5; husband, myself, my daughter and her 2 boys. Daughter went to go through the line and the driver asked if we were together and then told my daughter and the boys to join us.
Only once have I gone with a group of 10 and we all entered together. Two of us in power chairs so it was ok
Some drivers will allow a larger party to board with the scooter. I'm sure it is difficult to tell a party to go to the back of the line. And since the driver has no idea where they would have been line if they had gotten in line when they walked up, the only solution is to send them to the back or board everyone. Either way, the driver risks offending someone.

Scooters and people will always be an ongoing battle with each other - lol.
All are right part of the time, and all are wrong part of the time. That's because there will always be inconsiderate people on both sides as that is human nature. We will not change the human race.
For the most part when I get irritated - and yes, I 'do' get irritated often at how insensitive and rude people can be - I just let it go and move on. I don't have time while there to waste thinking on bad behavior.
I'm just glad I don't have to 'be' that person, or live with them. They can't be happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!