Should a homebody/introvert apply for DCP?

floatingzoo

Earning My Ears
Hello! I am currently a freshman in college and am highly considering applying for the fall 2020 term of the disney college program. However, I am rather introverted (I'm not necessarily shy, I just don't enjoy socializing in large groups/quantities) and very much a homebody. I am currently taking online classes because of my location (I didn't want to move away for college, and there weren't any schools close enough to take classes in person.) I've been wanting to do the DCP since hearing about it in middle school. I've been dreaming about it since then, and only recently realized, "Hey! I could actually do this now!"

Being an introvert, and knowing that I'd be at work all day with so many people, I worry about never getting any time to be alone with so many suite mates. I am very close to my family, and being far away from them is the largest thing I worry about. The longest I've ever been away was two weeks, and I couldn't wait to get back home by the end of it.

I was wondering if I could get your advice on this, and perhaps here about your experiences in the program? Thank you so much!

Last edited:
I don't have experience with DCP but I'm sure some other families will come along and share theirs. My son is HS senior now and he's interested to go to DCP at some point over the next few years. He's a bit introvert/homebody as well but has worked at a Boy Scout camp the past 2 summers staying there for almost 7 straight weeks last year, and I must say it was great for him. He came back with more confidence and learned alot in that time away.

My advice would be to consider:
  • Will not trying DCP be something you might always regret not doing? And probably continue thinking about the 'what if' and 'I shoulda' thru life? Trust me, it's no fun to realize you should've taken advantage of an interesting opportunity once it's too late.
  • How uncomfortable might you be at DCP? In reality, worst case scenario you can still leave tho. I think it helps to know in the back of your mind that it's not like you're a hostage, if you really can't stand it you can return home. Obviously that's not to be taken lightly but you absolutely can if you find you need to.
Last summer my son was on the fence about going back all summer to work the camp for a second summer. He couldn't really articulate what was giving him doubts. He did like it the year before. I told him time goes fast. If it feels like it's something you'll regret not doing, then go. If for whatever reason you can't deal with it, come home. Yes you did commit to a contract but in the end you need to take care of yourself so if it feels that horrible, they'll understand. He went and loved it, and even though he could leave for 24 hours each weekend he only came home once in 7 weeks. The other 'leave' days he stayed and hung out there. It was a great experience for him. Being outside his comfort zone ended up being very comfortable after all.

I wish you luck and happiness in whatever you decide :earsboy:

Introvert/mega homebody here! I did the DCP in Fall 2016 and I'm coming back for Spring Advantage 2020!

Personally, I loved my Program and I can't wait to come back. I live in New York City, so I was accustomed to finding "alone" moments while I was out and about-- listening to my music on the subway, being on my laptop in a coffee shop, etc. helped me feel like I had introvert downtime when I wasn't necessarily alone. Also, believe it or not, most people rarely see their housemates during the day! You will all be working different schedules during Disney's 24/7 operation period. I lived with 5 other girls and the only time I really saw any of them was if my roommate who worked a similar schedule was coming home around the same time, which was usually ~1:00 AM for us. While I made a lot of friends at my work location, we ended up having different days off most of the time, which gave me a really great excuse to visit the Parks by myself! Once I started visiting the Parks solo, I really couldn't stop-- it was so refreshing doing what I wanted to do! Disney Springs is also a wonderful place to be as an introvert-- lots of quiet places to relax if you go during the morning/afternoon on weekdays.

I'm only a little concerned because you're worried about getting homesick. I didn't think homesickness was going to be a huge problem because I had been to sleepaway camp and lived away at college for a year, so I could have named two separate times before even applying where I had been away from my family for at least a month. I got to the Program in August and by November, I was begging people at my location to pick up two shifts from me so that I could fly out to visit my family for a few days. That's always a possibility if you save money for airfare! You'll be able to schedule a few days off (one for each month of your Program) that you can use to visit home if you really need to.

Attractions is a great role to look into if you're an introvert!

Hello! I am currently a freshman in college and am highly considering applying for the fall 2020 term of the disney college program. However, I am rather introverted (I'm not necessarily shy, I just don't enjoy socializing in large groups/quantities) and very much a homebody. I am currently taking online classes because of my location (I didn't want to move away for college, and there weren't any schools close enough to take classes in person.) I've been wanting to do the DCP since hearing about it in middle school. I've been dreaming about it since then, and only recently realized, "Hey! I could actually do this now!"

Being an introvert, and knowing that I'd be at work all day with so many people, I worry about never getting any time to be alone with so many suite mates. I am very close to my family, and being far away from them is the largest thing I worry about. The longest I've ever been away was two weeks, and I couldn't wait to get back home by the end of it.

I was wondering if I could get your advice on this, and perhaps here about your experiences in the program? Thank you so much!

I was a huge introvert until I started working customer service, now ten years later I’m still on that same path in management and I owe it all to front line service and becoming comfortable in social situations.

It depends - do you want to become less of an introvert and more social? A front line position, especially at Disney, will pull you out of your shell quickly and help your social skills immensely, which you’ll probably be thankful for in the future.

My DD has completed two programs and she has some mild social anxiety, more of an introvert, I can tell you what I’ve seen as a parent is huge growth and confidence. It’s amazing! She’s not really a homebody, does like her alone time, but did fine being further away. However I’m the Disney fan and I was fortunate enough to visit almost every month.
I would caution about homesickness during the holidays if bein home for thanksgiving or Christmas is really a big deal for you as you’ll be working, not be able to go home, if your program covers those dates. So if you want to try a program I’d recommend spring vs a fall program. There’s a number of dcp who decide they are too homesick to make it through Christmas and quit leaving the others to scramble to cover extra shifts and hours.
It’s an amazing experience and I hope you get to experience it!

You should totally go for it! While I have an outgoing personality, I am very much an introvert in that I need some alone time to recharge! I am applying for Fall 2020 (I have my phone interview next week! Yay!) and what I am looking forward to the most are my solo trips into the parks! You can also try and link up with a roommate ahead of time who shares similar introverted traits so you both understand each others desire to have alone time! If you do end up missing your family too much, you can always leave early! But it does sound like something you have wanted for a while ,and you might end up regretting at least not trying it out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!