Shopping on the Ship!

Girl of the South

DIS Veteran
Trying to stay away from the EATING on the ship threads, thought I'd start this one. What can you shop for on the ship? I think there are some high end shops, right?

But there must be some tourist/drug store things? Been a long time since I sailed with Disney but I seem to remember a decent sized 'tourist' type shop with t-shirts, postcards (hope they still have them), pins, some tiny pretzels shaped like Mickey's head that I really loved, and 'toy' type stuff.

Then there was another shop that had higher end stuff like gold by the inch (?) and a corner with some drug store type items (travel sized) . . . I don't think there were books or magazines but I would have bought them if there were. My biggest 'fear' is not having enough to read.

Anyway, shopping on the ship, anything you can remember?

All 4 ships have a general Disney/DCL souviner store and a higher-end adult jewelery and clothing store. The Dream and Fantasy have a second adult clothing souviner store, and the Fantasy has Tiffany’s jewelry where the art gallery was. There are smaller stands on the pool deck and a small swim supply gift shop on the pool deck, too. Any sundries is incorporated into the adult shop.

Trying to stay away from the EATING on the ship threads, thought I'd start this one. What can you shop for on the ship? I think there are some high end shops, right?

But there must be some tourist/drug store things? Been a long time since I sailed with Disney but I seem to remember a decent sized 'tourist' type shop with t-shirts, postcards (hope they still have them), pins, some tiny pretzels shaped like Mickey's head that I really loved, and 'toy' type stuff.

Then there was another shop that had higher end stuff like gold by the inch (?) and a corner with some drug store type items (travel sized) . . . I don't think there were books or magazines but I would have bought them if there were. My biggest 'fear' is not having enough to read.

Anyway, shopping on the ship, anything you can remember?

Which ship are you sailing on?

Just remember that the shops aren't open when you're in port so if you need something make sure to get it while you're at sea. I don't recall seeing any books or magazines but I have an iPad with lots of e-books so I probably wouldn't note it consciously.

Doesn't look like shopping on the ship will take up much of my time (or money!). I will go into the port cities but have 4 days at sea so just wondered what is available. Do they sell any chocolate bars??? Yes, I know, plenty of food on the ship . . . . I am bringing my iPad too but really prefer 'real' books. I will download a couple of movies. Did anyone see any postcards? I am actually ordering postage stamps from Ireland so I don't have to spend time looking for a post office so will have my cards all sent on Day #3. So rare to get 'real' mail these days - friends seem to really enjoy the foreign stamps. Thanks! At least I won't spend much money in the shops . . .

I wouldn’t be so quick on the “...much of my money” statement. :-). It doesn’t take much to rack up some serious bills in the shops. And since you just use your KTTW card to put it on your account, people can loose track. Enjoy your cruise!

I love the DCL Tervis tumbler we purchased on the last cruise. I always bring some type beverage holder with me and buy another on the ship! I usually fill some type of container with milk or juice that I bring from Cabanas' breakfast back to the cabin refrigerator. So for me, the more containers the better!

Doesn't look like shopping on the ship will take up much of my time (or money!). I will go into the port cities but have 4 days at sea so just wondered what is available. Do they sell any chocolate bars??? Yes, I know, plenty of food on the ship . . . . I am bringing my iPad too but really prefer 'real' books. I will download a couple of movies. Did anyone see any postcards? I am actually ordering postage stamps from Ireland so I don't have to spend time looking for a post office so will have my cards all sent on Day #3. So rare to get 'real' mail these days - friends seem to really enjoy the foreign stamps. Thanks! At least I won't spend much money in the shops . . .

There is a small selection of books and magazines available in the shops. I do not recall specifically seeing postcards however in your cabin there will be a small amount of stationary including two postcards. If you need more than two, perhaps you could get some from your state room post, or guest services.

Yes, there are postcards for sale. There are books (on the Fantasy/Dream) in the shop on the pool deck that sells bathing suits, flip flops, etc. - by the ice cream machine. :-) I have always been disappointed with the merchandise in their stores. All the toy stuff is more expensive than in my local Disney stores. I usually buy an ornament. A couple of cruises ago I bought a Disney Cruise Line backpack - a bit overpriced but I use it a lot.

Where did you order stamps from? They usually have them on the ship(s) but it's nice to have them in advance.

Just remember that the shops aren't open when you're in port so if you need something make sure to get it while you're at sea. I don't recall seeing any books or magazines but I have an iPad with lots of e-books so I probably wouldn't note it consciously.

Good point for new cruisers about the shops being closed while in ports! :flower2:

They do have magazines for sale in one of the shop. Can't recall for sure if there were any books....

Doesn't look like shopping on the ship will take up much of my time (or money!).

See comment below! I "ditto" the comment! :laughing:

I wouldn’t be so quick on the “...much of my money” statement. :-). It doesn’t take much to rack up some serious bills in the shops. And since you just use your KTTW card to put it on your account, people can loose track. Enjoy your cruise!

Sooooo true! If I see a Disney Dooney I just have to have, that's a good little hit to the account right there! And one HAS to have at LEAST 1 DCL tee or DCL Tervis or DCL beach towel, right?? :rolleyes:

I don't know, I don't seem to have any problem finding something to spend my money on in the shops. :earboy2:

Neither does DH. He intentionally underpacks shirts because he always plans to buy a couple of polo shirts and t-shirts on the ship. It's now at the point that he has very few shirts and tops that aren't Disney-related (WDW & DCL) to the point that people make comments about it at work. The ships usually have Nike shirts with the DCL logo on them. I will also admit to buying the odd shirt or two and perfume. I rarely buy souvenirs when we travel except for perfumes that I can't get at home. We always make a plan to hit the shops at least 2-3 times per cruise (usually our cruises are at least 7 days). They do switch out some product daily so we like to check it out, often just before dinner.

Little off topic but there is also a small selection of books at the Cove Café in the lounge area. These aren't for sale and I'm not sure if you can take one back to your room to read or if its expected you stay there with the book. To me, it seemed like a place where passengers could leave a book and take a book but maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime in on that.

I've bought Lilly Pulitzer and Vera Bradley on sale in White Caps. I justified it because it was on "cheap". But shopping can't take up that much time on board.
You don't mention your itinerary, but I have found google maps helpful to look at what is nearby where the ship docks. On of my favorite things I did while in Nova Scotia was going to the grocery store and buying loads of British candy to take home.

I always spend way too much money in the shops. On our Baltic cruise they had a lot of Russian type souvenirs. I had a replica fabrege egg style bracelet that I bought and promptly lost the first time I wore it. Also be aware that some things do sell out and might not be seen again.

Are the shops open when boarding the cruise for the first time? I wanted to get a DCL shirt before my trip but they are sold out in my size on shop disney :worried:

Great to know there might be magazines and books - I'll check up by the pool. There USED to be a library on the Magic. Just a small room in the bowels of the ship with puzzles and paperback books people had left and could borrow. I guess in this day and age people use iPads, etc, but I really like paper books. I'm on an 11 night transatlantic cruise with 4 full sea days in the middle. No excursions planned but I DO love poking around shops at any ports (1 England, 1 Ireland, and 3 in Canada).

I LOVE GROCERY STORES, TOO!!! Always go into any grocery stores even if I can't read the writing on the packages (like in Thailand or China). Of course Coca Cola is very recognizable. I collect coke bottles in different scripts.

Do they sell FOREIGN stamps on the ship? I went to Ireland a 2 years ago and bought stamps in advance because I like the 'pretty' philatelic ones that are harder to find. Heck, post offices are hard to find these days. They can be bought at irishstamps.ie although today the website must be down. US stamps can be bought at usps.com and they have some nice ones - like the new scratch and sniff popsicle stamps!

Thanks for everyone who answered my shopping question. I kinda like shopping. Wonder if Amazon will deliver to the middle of the ocean????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!