Shoes to give a toddler a little extra height?

This thread is making me think I have a VERY tall 2 year old! At Chaeli's 2 year check up she was 35 inches tall.

We had the exact same problem on our last trip. And in defense of the OP, we were astonished at how greatly the 40" varied from ride to ride. On some, he easily passed the "stick." On others, not close. On others (and these were the worst) he passed the first "test" and then failed the second - try explaining that to an almost-4-year-old with a tall older brother.

Folks have to make their own decisions, and CMs certainly have to do their job. We were polite when he got turned away, and happy for him when he did not. But here's my word of advice:

Do NOT put him in Crocs!

I agree that some kids are just more daredevil than others. We took our kids to WDW for the first time when they were 4 & 3. My DD was at the 40 inch mark & after walking around MK all day and passing splash mountain over & over again she kept saying THAT was the ride she wanted to go on. Now I am not really a big thrill ride person and my DH is even less of a thrill ride person...so after a full day of her really wanting to ride this I decided that I would take her on it. We loaded in (front seat too)& I was in a complete panic...hello we are dropping 5 stories w/o a safety bar across us...so I put my leg over top of her & wrapped my arm around her & grabbed the bar in preperation of the drop...and wouldn't you know it she immediately flung her arms up in the air! So to some that kind of stuff just comes natural!!!! In our picture she was very clearly having more fun than I was...LOL

I'm pretty sure my middle girl will never get to ride anything :rotfl2: She turns 4 tomorrow.. I just measured her and she's 37" tall exactly. Poor thing.

I'm pretty sure my middle girl will never get to ride anything :rotfl2: She turns 4 tomorrow.. I just measured her and she's 37" tall exactly. Poor thing.

I am with you on that...My soon to be 6 yr old is BARELY 40" in bare feet and just over it in shoes.We leave for Disney December 12th..

Well, who cares if they are way too small or just a little too small? If you are too small you are too small. This thread is proof that there are people who will try anything to get what they want regardless of the potential harm and/or lying about it.

If you notice my posts at the beginning of this thread I talk about it being unsafe to try to give extra height AT ALL, even a small amount. I would never do anything to try to get around the safety measures put in place and risk my child. My point is that if a child is WAY to small one could not even find a way to justify that it might be safe at all. Also you do have to admit that it would be much more dangerous to be a foot short vs 1/32 of an inch short.

Unfortunately you will have some people who think they know more about a ride's safety features than those who designed it.:sad2:

And perhaps you should read my previous posts at the beginning of this thread where I clearly tell the OP that this is unsafe even for a small amount of height before you starting assuming things about me, see my previous post for my explaination of what I meant when I was saying way too short.

If you notice my posts at the beginning of this thread I talk about it being unsafe to try to give extra height AT ALL, even a small amount. I would never do anything to try to get around the safety measures put in place and risk my child. My point is that if a child is WAY to small one could not even find a way to justify that it might be safe at all. Also you do have to admit that it would be much more dangerous to be a foot short vs 1/32 of an inch short.

And perhaps you should read my previous posts at the beginning of this thread where I clearly tell the OP that this is unsafe even for a small amount of height before you starting assuming things about me, see my previous post for my explaination of what I meant when I was saying way too short.

I was not referring to you specifically. I was stating that time after time you will read threads on here about how to cheat to make your kid taller. I guess I am a rule follower. I will not stuff my kids shoes with paper, buy heelies for the height, tease their hair up like Dolly Parton, buy platform sneakers etc. just to get them on a ride. While I do agree that the sticks are not consistent especially when a CM measures your child at the beginning of the ride, you wait an hour, and then they measure your child again just before they board the ride and magically your child is way too short for it. Test Track is the worst offender. It happened to me and my sister's kids. If they couldn't ride it then fine. Just don't give us the go ahead and then turn us away after waiting on line. That is just wrong. I also don't buy that their measuring sticks are accurate. One of our children was tall enough when measured at the doctor's office on bare feet. With (regular) sneakers on they weren't even close at WDW. That is frustrating.

I was not referring to you specifically. I was stating that time after time you will read threads on here about how to cheat to make your kid taller. I guess I am a rule follower. I will not stuff my kids shoes with paper, buy heelies for the height, tease their hair up like Dolly Parton, buy platform sneakers etc. just to get them on a ride. While I do agree that the sticks are not consistent especially when a CM measures your child at the beginning of the ride, you wait an hour, and then they measure your child again just before they board the ride and magically your child is way too short for it. Test Track is the worst offender. It happened to me and my sister's kids. If they couldn't ride it then fine. Just don't give us the go ahead and then turn us away after waiting on line. That is just wrong. I also don't buy that their measuring sticks are accurate. One of our children was tall enough when measured at the doctor's office on bare feet. With (regular) sneakers on they weren't even close at WDW. That is frustrating.

I assumed I was included in that because you were quoting the person who was talking to me. I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said here.

Am I the only worry wart? I am scared of my kids riding roller coasters, I don't want anything to happen to them. Of course I am sure once they do and I realize they are ok I will be ok but it still scares me. I think I have an irrational fear of them falling out, i know it is stupid. My oldest dd is measuring at 40'' right now I wonder what she will measure at Disney next month

Another worry wart here. :goodvibes I have the opposite problem of many posters - my son is very tall for his age. At almost 3 he is already over 40 inches. I don't feel ready to let him ride for at least another year though. Thankfully since he's little he doesn't know what he's missing and is happy with the Barnstormer. :thumbsup2

Well I think that's rotton that some rides the pole isn't correctly measured so sometimes you get on and sometimes you don't!!! That's a croc...we had that happen at a theme park by us. My step-daughter was able to get on this insane ride and then later on they said she was too short!

Does anyone challenge the mismeasured stick? I'm not trying to be a wench or anything but I paid good money for our tickets. If my daughter is 41" without shoes on and the stick is mismeasured at 42"....that's just wrong...

Well I think that's rotton that some rides the pole isn't correctly measured so sometimes you get on and sometimes you don't!!! That's a croc...we had that happen at a theme park by us. My step-daughter was able to get on this insane ride and then later on they said she was too short!

Does anyone challenge the mismeasured stick? I'm not trying to be a wench or anything but I paid good money for our tickets. If my daughter is 41" without shoes on and the stick is mismeasured at 42"....that's just wrong...

You can try, but if you get loud and argumentative security will be called. You can question it, but in the end they have the final say no matter what you paid to get in.There are alot of reasons a kid can pass then not.It is frustrating, it has happened to me too.I did question it once on Splash and they did remeasure her.But she still did not pass.Yes I was upset.But if they say "no" I have learned to let it go.There is nothing to be gained at throwing a fit, and not worth setting an example like that for my daughter.Life is full of disappointments.

You can try, but if you get loud and argumentative security will be called. You can question it, but in the end they have the final say no matter what you paid to get in.There are alot of reasons a kid can pass then not.It is frustrating, it has happened to me too.I did question it once on Splash and they did remeasure her.But she still did not pass.Yes I was upset.But if they say "no" I have learned to let it go.There is nothing to be gained at throwing a fit, and not worth setting an example like that for my daughter.Life is full of disappointments.

Well I'm not planning on pitching a fit but if she's 41" without shoes and the sign says 40" and the pole is 42", that's just rotton...:sad2:

My toddler is about 37.5 with no shoes. We're planning for her to be able to ride the 38 inch rides and as long as she can get on those, we'll be happy!

Another mom here who doesnt want her 2 1/2 year old going on any of the big rides yet! Lucky for me, she is a shorty at only 33 inches, so I dont have to worry about that for a while! But at this age, they dont know about the bigger rides unless you tell them. I would tell them before we left that they werent tall enough to ride the rides, and if when we got there you wanted to try and they were tall enough, it would be a great surprise for them! Just dont get their hopes up.

I just measured my DS3 (4 in 2mo) at DS6mo check up. He was 40.5" with socks and 41.25" in normal sneakers. I told him he'd "probably" make it on all the 40" rides to try to avoid any melt downs on our trip next month. But, I think I'll still be peeved if they mismeasure him on the rides.

The best advice I can give for this situation is to teach your children how to stand while being measured. Practice at home. Have them stand up nice and tall, head nice and high, make sure they're not standing on their tip toes, and finally, teach them to take a big breath in as you measure them. And finally, for everyone upset about the measuring sticks being off, they are verified daily to be the correct height.

The best advice I can give for this situation is to teach your children how to stand while being measured. Practice at home. Have them stand up nice and tall, head nice and high, make sure they're not standing on their tip toes, and finally, teach them to take a big breath in as you measure them. And finally, for everyone upset about the measuring sticks being off, they are verified daily to be the correct height.

So (not being snarky here) what would the explaination be for being allowed in at the line entrance and turned away at the ride?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter