Shoes to give a toddler a little extra height?

BearJuiceBear

Earning My Ears
Hi!

I'm set to go to WDW in a couple weeks and my son (almost 4yo) is just shy of 40" with shoes on. Has anyone found shoes that are taller than others? SO many rides open up to him when he is 40" and he's dying to get on them. I'm hoping we can find shoes to give him that extra little bit so he can go on!

Thanks,
Grace

Just so you know, my grandd had to take her shoes off at several of the bigger rides, like splash and space moutain. She was wearing sandles with a little tiny bit of extra on the bottom of the shoe. She was just at the height so they made her take off the shoe! She missed a few of the rides. But I was o.k. with that since, for her safety, the rides have height limits. She did not qualify so next time she will.

Kelly

The height restrictions are pretty strict.40" at home is NOT 40" at Disney all the time. Cm's also KNOW to look at the childs shoes to see if they are wearing "taller" shoes.If the cms can fit a piece of paper between the stick and the child, it is a no go. I would not resort to any drastic measures ,and if he makes it he makes it.Prepare him in advance.

I too recommend deleting the post and running far far away. This is one of those hot topics around here because the height requirements are there for the safety of the children. Also like the pp said I have heard stories of kids with obvious height giving shoes be made to take them off because again it is for their safety.

This is unsafe.

If it were safe for your kid then there would not be a height restriction.

Now I suppose if you lap sit your child on the airplane or don't wear seat belts in the car or don't wash your hands before eating or don't hold the handrail going down the stairs, then I can't say you won't do as the OP is asking.

Disney hints: http://www/cockam.com/disney.htm

Just so you know, my grandd had to take her shoes off at several of the bigger rides, like splash and space moutain. She was wearing sandles with a little tiny bit of extra on the bottom of the shoe. She was just at the height so they made her take off the shoe! She missed a few of the rides. But I was o.k. with that since, for her safety, the rides have height limits. She did not qualify so next time she will.

Kelly

I just wanted to tell you I think your purple tagline is hilarious :rotfl::lmao:

This is unsafe.

Now I suppose if you lap sit your child on the airplane or don't wear seat belts in the car or don't wash your hands before eating or don't hold the handrail going down the stairs, then I can't say you won't do as the OP is asking.

Really? Not holding the railing going down the stairs is the same as fudging your child's height. And as for lap babies on airplanes, the difference there is that it is allowed by the agency that makes the safety rules so it is not the same as breaking a safety rule. Like you said if it was safe their wouldn't be a rule, same applies the other way too.

I asked this question after reading through a couple trip reports and some members mentioned getting taller shoes for their kids. I thought, what a great idea. So I came onto the family board and asked. Thank you to the posters who cordially explained why this might not be a good idea. To the others, I wish you could have seen that I am a new poster with only 16 posts and like everyone else came here to try to plan a great vacation. There's really no need to make me feel like a jerk or for you to act holier than thou. Really, a reminder could have sufficed.

Kelly

Thank you, Kelly for your advice. I really appreciate it. While it didn't answer my original question, it certainly provides a different perspective that I can appreciate and with that information I will probably cease my search for taller shoes.

This is unsafe.

A bit extreme in comparisons, but you want to get your point across. Just FYI my son sits in a car seat on the airplane, we wear seat belts at all times, we wash hands. As for holding the handrail, that's up to him. He's aware of his body and can judge whether or not he needs the handrail or not. Every family has a different standard of what is safe. If I thought the 1/4" he needs to make the height restriction would fling him off of rides I would not have asked.

How can a 3 year old be dying to ride the big rides, unless you've encouraged it?

I would read your own tag line. Seriously, every child is different. We are NOT parents push children unwillingly on rides. Some children are more adventurous than others. My son for whatever reason loves the thril of rides. He is also is shy and doesn't like to be the center of attention. Are there kids who are outgoing? Sure! My son just isn't one of them. Are there 3 year olds that cry when they are told they can't go on certain rides? Yes, and my son is one of those. We've never been to WDW so I don't know how he'll react, but we are AP holders to Disneyland and when we go to California Adventure we have to map out a path so we avoid seeing certain rides otherwise he gets very frustrated that he can't go on them. So PLEASE stop with the assumptions.

Welcome to the boards! Sorry if I sounded harsh towards you.

These boards have a lot of good info, but lately they have a lot of fighting. There are topics, such as this one, that go round and round all the time with people fighting about them, but it seems lately someone has something bad to say in every post.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be flip about it. In fact, in my own opinion I can't see how 1/32 of an inch can make a giant safety difference but, I know how strongly people can feel about this topic.
Here's some hugs to make up.
:hug::grouphug::flower3:

Oh and I have daredevil child too so I know how they are. My DS was riding the 40" rides at age 2 and before anyone freaks out he WAS tall enough. We grow them big in my family.

How can a 3 year old be dying to ride the big rides, unless you've encouraged it?

I just had to respond to this because when we were there last year our 4.5 yr old was over 40" but she was very upset she couldn't go on the bigger rides. She's a daredevil and wants to ride every single thing. So, it does not take the parents encouraging a child for them to ride something too big for them. We are going back again soon and she still won't be able to ride them so I am also anticipating some argument from her. Our 3.5 son is just shy of 40" and he is also a daredevil and while I am anticipating him not being big enough and me not saying 1 word to him of encouragement I KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that when he sees his sister going on them with one of us he is going to want to do it. So, again he is a 3 yr old who will be DYING to ride the bigger rides with no encouragement from us.

daredevil or not, and I've had a couple. I wouldn't encourage the thought of riding unless I was beyond positive that they would be able to ride. Especially when they are young enough to be distracted.

I agree, a bit of an inch isn't going to kill anyone.

daredevil or not, and I've had a couple. I wouldn't encourage the thought of riding unless I was beyond positive that they would be able to ride. Especially when they are young enough to be distracted.

I agree, a bit of an inch isn't going to kill anyone.

My point is that some kids don't need any encouragement - they see the big ride and they want to do it without one word from anyone. I could walk by a big ride not even looking at it and my 4 yr old is jumping up and down wanting to go on it.

Honestly, I'd prepare him for the possibility that he wouldn't be able to ride them.

When my DD was about 40 inches, she was 40" in sock feet at home. And with chunky-heeled sandals (as opposed to Crocs), she barely, barely, barely managed to hit the side of her head against some of the bars. On the lower ones, she was about a quarter of an inch over the bottom of the bar. She was never turned away, and never asked to take her shoes off, but she was checked at every single ride, multiple times, sometimes with one CM watching her feet and one CM watching her head. I would not anticipate that a 40"-in-shoes kid would make it on the rides most of the time, even with thicker-soled shoes. 40 Disney inches is not the same as 40" at home.

That said, I also let her ride in a high-back booster when she was 6yo and not quite 40 pounds, rather than importing a rear-facing Swedish carseat that would accommodate her height, so safety is clearly not my paramount concern. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter