Shoe wearin' in the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch!! Thinking of bare feet on that hot pavement. :scared: I do go barefoot at home a lot, though I'd never consider doing it away from home. :flower:

Is there a policy?

Ok, just wanted to be sure.

I'm sure all those flip flops will protect people from these dropping hazards.

I could see going barefoot if that's your preference out of doors, but in shops, restaurants, food courts, ride vehicles? I don't know where you live, but in every place I've ever been, shoes are required. Not sure what you think WDW is, but it's full of indoor/shoes shirts must be worn places.

I've seen those foot sticker commercials that cover and protect the bottoms of your feet and actually wondered if they qualified as a shoe...and then in my favorite coffee shop (which is, admittedly where some weird stuff WILL happen) a guy came and argued with the owner. That owner decided they weren't. I wonder if WDW has a policy on this. They'd be excellent for a waterpark for people who don't like going barefoot.

I'm not sure which is worse, fresh goop or days-old goop. :scratchin Fresh goop is probably stickier. :crazy2:

I'd probably rather step in old, dry goop than fresh, wet goop.

I will say, that for as clean as they keep WDW, it's got nothing on Tokyo Disneyland. While waiting for the parade, a kid spilled a small drink on the pavement, and a CM was there within seconds to clean it, to scrub the ground, and it was like it never happened. The thing I find most interesting is that in Japan, the people will not sit on the ground. They have either special mats to sit on (no shoes on the mat) or a park map will do in a pinch. I'm thinking this is the cleanest ground I've ever seen to begin with, much cleaner than the ground in Orlando or Anaheim, and I sit on that pavement all the time.

I'd probably rather step in old, dry goop than fresh, wet goop.

I will say, that for as clean as they keep WDW, it's got nothing on Tokyo Disneyland. While waiting for the parade, a kid spilled a small drink on the pavement, and a CM was there within seconds to clean it, to scrub the ground, and it was like it never happened. The thing I find most interesting is that in Japan, the people will not sit on the ground. They have either special mats to sit on (no shoes on the mat) or a park map will do in a pinch. I'm thinking this is the cleanest ground I've ever seen to begin with, much cleaner than the ground in Orlando or Anaheim, and I sit on that pavement all the time.

We Americans are slobs. We have no qualms sitting on dirty ground. :crazy2: :D

Oh, man, tell me about it. Just visit another country for proof. A Public restroom at a subway station in Japan is cleaner than most any area in the US. You could eat lunch in there! The subways too, no garbage, litter, mysterious puddles, grafiti - just cushioned seats and window shades. Pristine. Ratchet that up to the Disney level, and it is astonishing! I wouldn't go barefoot at WDW, but at least at TDR I feel like I could with almost no worries, ha ha!

Foot sticker??

footstickers-660x399.jpg

I sat on the ground waiting for the Star Wars evening thing at DHS last time. It was HOT (at night), and sticky. But, I wasn't standing, so I was dealing with it..

Sitting on the dirty ground at WDW from an early age helps build up our immune system.
Why do you think so many Japanese people wear those surgical masks while out in public?
Everything is so clean there they aren't exposed to germs so they have a weakened immune system.

Sitting on the dirty ground at WDW from an early age helps build up our immune system.
Why do you think so many Japanese people wear those surgical masks while out in public?
Everything is so clean there they aren't exposed to germs so they have a weakened immune system.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Hey, you interested in buying a bridge?

I could see going barefoot if that's your preference out of doors, but in shops, restaurants, food courts, ride vehicles? I don't know where you live, but in every place I've ever been, shoes are required. Not sure what you think WDW is, but it's full of indoor/shoes shirts must be worn places.

Totally agree and unless you don't plan on riding anything like that, shoes will be required on modes of transportation. And getting far, far, far away from GOOP comments, it's a safety issue. Doors close on feet all the time (trust me, I know) and there are foot "protection" pads all over the place. And shoes are required for every eating establishment in the US so you would be quite hungry unless you brought your own food for all day. Shops also require footwear so for the OP, the only way to go all day without footwear is if you never go indoors except at your home. That's not going to happen at Disney World.

Totally agree and unless you don't plan on riding anything like that, shoes will be required on modes of transportation. And getting far, far, far away from GOOP comments, it's a safety issue. Doors close on feet all the time (trust me, I know) and there are foot "protection" pads all over the place. And shoes are required for every eating establishment in the US so you would be quite hungry unless you brought your own food for all day. Shops also require footwear so for the OP, the only way to go all day without footwear is if you never go indoors except at your home. That's not going to happen at Disney World.

So as someone who goes barefoot habitually and who has studied this, there are no laws that prevent one from going in an establishment barefoot. Yes, an establishment can limit that right, but there are no laws (cite something and prove me wrong). Moreover, why is it less sanitary for you to carry the germs into a restaurant on your shoes vs my soles? There is no difference. Finally, if you're getting your feet cut off in doors, you need to pay better attention.

PS- what kind of goop is on the ground at WDW that is so unsafe to step on? No pets allowed.

Noone has even mentioned the grossest part of this....the bathrooms!!!! EWWWWWWWW

No way!! Was thinking also of the water parks restrooms - yuck! Shoes will also be on my feet, and my families, in public. Athlete's foot, anyone?? :crazy2: At home, love going barefoot.

I go barefoot at home all the time and have since I was a kid. No way would I go barefoot at WDW. Besides the temps of the dark asphalt, the bathroom floors are not clean (regardless of how they appear) and food places all require footwear. I would think most rides do too. I don't even wear sandals at WDW because I want my toes protected. Foot stickers are great for the beach, to protect from the heat of the sand in particular, but not to wear in place of shoes.

So as someone who goes barefoot habitually and who has studied this, there are no laws that prevent one from going in an establishment barefoot. Yes, an establishment can limit that right, but there are no laws (cite something and prove me wrong). Moreover, why is it less sanitary for you to carry the germs into a restaurant on your shoes vs my soles? There is no difference. Finally, if you're getting your feet cut off in doors, you need to pay better attention.

PS- what kind of goop is on the ground at WDW that is so unsafe to step on? No pets allowed.

It's not to prevent you from transferring stuff from the pavement to the indoors. It's to prevent you from spreading YOUR germs, and having other barefoot patrons pick up those germs because they are not wearing shoes either. It's unsanitary in a public space. I'm always barefoot in my home, but outside... Ew. Not to mention, it's just not polite or respectful.

It's not to prevent you from transferring stuff from the pavement to the indoors. It's to prevent you from spreading YOUR germs, and having other barefoot patrons pick up those germs because they are not wearing shoes either. It's unsanitary in a public space. I'm always barefoot in my home, but outside... Ew. Not to mention, it's just not polite or respectful.
I'm not sure you understand how germs work.

No way!! Was thinking also of the water parks restrooms - yuck! Shoes will also be on my feet, and my families, in public. Athlete's foot, anyone?? :crazy2: At home, love going barefoot.
Athlete's foot is a direct result of closing up fungus in a dark, moist place. Your shoes are literally incubating it. Nasty.

I'm not sure you understand how germs work.

Yes, I know they don't travel through your skin, but once they get one your skin, you can transfer it to open areas of your body where it can enter the body. Masses of people touching the same surface spreads germs. You can avoid getting sick by careful washing, etc, but it's better to just wear some shoes (I hope you will not be washing your feet in the sink in the parks). Your feet are going to be sweating and leaving sweat prints on the floor, and probably not smell that great either. They're going to be covered in dirt, and god knows what else. It's just plain gross, and rude. No one wants to see your stinky, ugly, dirty feet. I can't believe someone has to explain this. I am not concerned with etiquette for the most past, but geez, we have to have some standards, or we might as well be cave men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter