Shoe question...

simwalrus64

Earning My Ears
Ok I know this sounds like a silly question, but I'm sure someone else out there has dealt with this before! I leave for Disney tomorrow (woohoo!!) and just started having foot pain yesterday (boohoo). Considering I'm terrible at changing shoes, I've had the same walking sneakers for the past 4 years and supported insoles inside them for about 1 year. I'm worried that with all the walking I'll be doing in the next few days at the parks, my foot will be in pain from wearing these old shoes/inserts. I know the rule of thumb is never wear new sneakers to Disney, but I also feel like wearing these old ones isn't helping either. If I got new shoe insoles today would I probably regret it (in terms of foot pain) after doing all the park walking, since they won't be broken in yet? Should I just tough it out and hope my old sneakers hold up?

TIA for any advice/to anyone who doesn't think I'm totally crazy for asking this, haha :earboy2:

I had bought some new sneakers for Disney, had never worn them before the trip and had zero issues. Actually best shoe's I've ever worn, had no pain at the end of the day (13-15miles a day) and they even track my steps. I think its truly a crap shoot whether it will be a problem with new shoes. Here is a link to the ones i grabbed and will be using them again specifically on my next trip.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-ua-hovr-sonic-connected-running-shoes/pid3000005-402

I think the problem w new shoes is they can be stiff and rub in new spots that your feet aren’t used to. Insoles shouldn’t have the rubbing problem. I’d get new insoles and bring some band aides just in case you get some sore spots.

Maybe bring another pair of shoes to switch off too.

New balance sneakers are super supportive! Even new ones feel great. Give them a shot! They are my favorite.

just returned. went with plantar fascitis. i tried EVERYTHING. aleve. motrin. new insoles. several pairs of shoes. creams of lidocaine, aspercreme. patches of salonspas. nothing worked or helped except for sitting every so often, rubbing my feet myself, and resting them. so every chance i got to sit i would . I limped most of the time. prior to the trip i tried everything to get rid of it before leaving but nothing did. It was very upsetting. I only recommend sitting as often as possible. uber if you need it, minnie van if it helps bring you to the front of mk, etc. That's it. I was determined though to not let this chronic pain ruin my trip. I think my family got a bit frustrated though how slow i was walking and limping but i refused a wheelchair (I knew if I did, my dh would take lots of pics and remind of that every chance he got!)....

Also "superfeet" are great insoles. Pricey, but supportive. Recommended by physical therapists when orthotics are not prescribed by doctors.

I think my family got a bit frustrated though how slow i was walking and limping but i refused a wheelchair (I knew if I did, my dh would take lots of pics and remind of that every chance he got!)....

That is a shame! I am sorry that you had to deal with such pain because your family would tease you about finding relief. I would have rented an ECV myself and left them too far behind to take photos . . .:car:

haha!! omg no way! I would just feel like an old lady and would feel super self conscious. I hobbled. eh. limped. was not going to have those pics forever!!!

I know OP must be there by now--I'd be interested to hear how it went! I'll throw in my two cents for anyone else reading this though. In my experience, new shoes shouldn't be too much of a problem if you already know what shoes are good for your feet (and get the same brand and make--this isn't time for fancy new shoe experiments!), bring lots of bandaids, and they are not the only shoes you wear while at the parks. Even just switching them out for flip flops every once in awhile should help. I'm into Sanuks, which are made with yoga mat material. I just ran the W&D half with essentially brand new shoes, which was unavoidable for me but definitely not advisable! I was fine--I soaked my feet after and switched them out with really cushy sandals for the parks later that day.

I bought a pair of lightweight Sketchers gel insole shoes a month before we left. I wore them everywhere to break them in. They felt alright and I thought they would be ok for getting around Disney.

I was wrong. During my 4 days there, the only time my feet didn’t hurt was when I took them off. I would have been better off in my work boots.

Very curious as to what you all are seeking in a flip flop while traveling. I happen to love them and I'd like to get different perspectives on the pro's and con's. Looking forward to hearing from you all!

I know OP must be there by now--I'd be interested to hear how it went! I'll throw in my two cents for anyone else reading this though. In my experience, new shoes shouldn't be too much of a problem if you already know what shoes are good for your feet (and get the same brand and make--this isn't time for fancy new shoe experiments!), bring lots of bandaids, and they are not the only shoes you wear while at the parks. Even just switching them out for flip flops every once in awhile should help. I'm into Sanuks, which are made with yoga mat material. I just ran the W&D half with essentially brand new shoes, which was unavoidable for me but definitely not advisable! I was fine--I soaked my feet after and switched them out with really cushy sandals for the parks later that day.

So true. I buy Skechers go walks and I can wear a brand new pair no issue because its the same exact shoe as my worn out ones just new.

Very curious as to what you all are seeking in a flip flop while traveling. I happen to love them and I'd like to get different perspectives on the pro's and con's. Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Flip flops are for the pool in my opinion.
Whether you consciously realize it or not you have to "work" to keep them on your feet.
At least get a supportive sandal that has straps around the heel.

Clark’s Brinkley Jazz flipflops. Love them! So comfortable. I alternate each day between running shoes and these flip flops. My feet always feel great!

Cupload_2019-1-12_15-9-51.jpeg

Flip flops are for the pool in my opinion.
Whether you consciously realize it or not you have to "work" to keep them on your feet.
At least get a supportive sandal that has straps around the heel.
Hey there, First off, thanks for the reply. I kinda agree with a portion of what of what you said. Even though I love flip flops, I have a strong distaste for the more flimsier versions because as you pointed out, they tend to make your feet work harder. The right flip flop, in my opinion, can be worn almost anywhere :) You can't beat that feeling of freedom and ease of sliding your feet in!

Hey there, First off, thanks for the reply. I kinda agree with a portion of what of what you said. Even though I love flip flops, I have a strong distaste for the more flimsier versions because as you pointed out, they tend to make your feet work harder. The right flip flop, in my opinion, can be worn almost anywhere :) You can't beat that feeling of freedom and ease of sliding your feet in!

My foot doctor told me it doesn't matter what flip flop you wear if its a flip flop your feet work harder.
A sandal with a heel strap is better for your feet and therefore your entire body especially when wearing them for 12+ hours.
Sneakers are the best in his professional opinion and in my opinion in practice.
You do you though. If it works then work it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!