Sharing and Hope..

Mackey Mouse

Me read the Navigator? I don't
I want to make sure that in my request for this board that it is for everyone who is dealing with illness of a loved one or themselves. Ours is cancer, but there are many out there who deal every day with the affects of MS, Leukemia, Lou Gehrig's disease, etc. etc..

Please, if you need some hugs or just want to talk, I want this board to be that place where we can share and help each other get through each day.

I am very glad you started this thread Marsha - I am the person on the cruise who asked you about the book you were reading. I hope your DH is doing ok this weekend - such a difficult situation.

I had polio at age 10 and fortunately did not suffer from any paralysis. After our 3rd child, I began to develop a curve in my spine and it has continued to worsen over the years. I was 5'4" tall and I am now 4'11" tall, I was evaluated twice - once in Toronto and once in Rochester NY - I opted not to have the surgery where the rod is inserted in the spine as the quality of my life was fine except for the chronic pain from the curvature. The problem is that now the curve is progressing further and I was wondering if anyone has this problem. I do not have osteoporosis but it appears to most people that I do. I really don't know if this is the right thread for this but I guess I felt like venting tonight. Thanks - good thoughts to all of you.

Mahsha and annrae- :grouphug: to both of you.

I was just looking at the listing of the various boards and quite honestly, I didn't know this one existed. I'm lucky at this point in my life that I don't have any serious health issues. However, I have/had family members who have/had issues (cancer, suicide, diabetes, heart disease to name a few) so I know a little about what you are going through.

ann, my FIL (78 yrs old) is suffering from scoliosis of the spine. He is in constant pain but he does manage to get around. By the time he went to a neurosurgeon for help, it was really too late to do anything about it. I think if he could have some type of surgery to help ease the pain, he would do it in a heartbeat. I'm not trying to scare you or talk you into anything you don't want to do but I would weigh all your options before getting too much worse. A good friend of my family was telling me about her daughter the other day and her scoliosis problem. She elected to have the surgery and apparently is doing quite well. SHe gained several inches and has said her pain was very minimal. She may just be lucky, I don't know as I don't know much about the surgery itself. Good luck to you in whatever you decide. :hug:

"Mahsha" - from ann's post, I gather your DH has cancer. :hug: to you as well. Cancer is such an ugly beast! Sending you :wizard: to give you strength and prayers for your DH.

Well,i think most people know me..I've a 15+ year survivor of AIDS..Iam very healthy,but have had a couple of serious issues,like AIDS related Cardiomyopathy,which led to congestive heart failure in 2000 and stroke i 2002. Like I said,I'm pretty healthy,it's the mental stress that can be tough

Our family is dealing with my DM's breast cancer and our DDIL's MS. I am so grateful that DIS started this forum. Its a place to go. :thumbsup2

Hugs to all here and I want you to feel comfortable starting your own thread about whatever you are going through in your life at this time..

I read all Jenny's threads on the CB, political, medical, you name it..Hugs to Jenny.... I know there is a breast cancer one on the CB, but if you would like to start one here, please feel free...or an MS one, please do so... hugs to you too, need_a_Disney_fix

escape said:
Mahsha and annrae- :grouphug: to both of you.

I was just looking at the listing of the various boards and quite honestly, I didn't know this one existed. I'm lucky at this point in my life that I don't have any serious health issues. However, I have/had family members who have/had issues (cancer, suicide, diabetes, heart disease to name a few) so I know a little about what you are going through.

ann, my FIL (78 yrs old) is suffering from scoliosis of the spine. He is in constant pain but he does manage to get around. By the time he went to a neurosurgeon for help, it was really too late to do anything about it. I think if he could have some type of surgery to help ease the pain, he would do it in a heartbeat. I'm not trying to scare you or talk you into anything you don't want to do but I would weigh all your options before getting too much worse. A good friend of my family was telling me about her daughter the other day and her scoliosis problem. She elected to have the surgery and apparently is doing quite well. SHe gained several inches and has said her pain was very minimal. She may just be lucky, I don't know as I don't know much about the surgery itself. Good luck to you in whatever you decide. :hug:

"Mahsha" - from ann's post, I gather your DH has cancer. :hug: to you as well. Cancer is such an ugly beast! Sending you :wizard: to give you strength and prayers for your DH.
Thank you so much for responding to my thread. I have a feeling it may be a little too late for me also but I do plan a follow-up so I can get a few answers about my condition . Having had polio, my primary Dr. feels it is post polio syndrome and there isn't anything that can be done about that. I tried Tai Chi for exercise and that was a major disaster!! I think I pulled muscles I wasn't even aware were in my body but ended up in physical therapy for two weeks.

I hope your FIL is doing better. Thanks again.

Hey Annrae....

Is there nothing that they can do for you??? that bothered me that you said it may be too late... You know when I met you on the cruise, we sort of met, I would have never known you were having any issues, you were so upbeat and friendly. I think that is part of it, keeping the positive attitude and staying focused on living life to the fullest.... Please keep in touch here and know we are here for you if you need to vent..

PS...Saw the movie, Running with Scissors, pretty bizarre....the book was weird so how else could they do it..

Mackey Mouse said:
Hey Annrae....

Is there nothing that they can do for you??? that bothered me that you said it may be too late... You know when I met you on the cruise, we sort of met, I would have never known you were having any issues, you were so upbeat and friendly. I think that is part of it, keeping the positive attitude and staying focused on living life to the fullest.... Please keep in touch here and know we are here for you if you need to vent..

PS...Saw the movie, Running with Scissors, pretty bizarre....the book was weird so how else could they do it..
Hi Marsha: How very nice of you to think of me when you have so much on your mind! I really need to make an appointment with an Orthopeadic man and be re-evaluated. As I mentioned previously, I was told it is post-polio syndrome but the Dr. who diagnosed this thought the curve would stop. I don't know if you noticed it when you saw me but it is quite "eye catching." I try to wear clothes that hang a bit loose in the back and it is difficult to find dresses. The chronic pain I have is similar to having a toothache but it is in my back and not my mouth. I have become so used to it that if it subsides a little I just cannot believe how great I feel.

Thank you so very much for thinking of me. As I've said before, I am very sorry I did not get to know you somewhat on the cruise.

I have to tell you the truth.... I did not notice it at all....and believe me I am one of these people who notices everything...I am glad you are going to make another appt with your ortho guy, I would follow up on it and be active in your treatment...I know it must be awful to have constant pain....I sometimes get low back pain, but not constant..it is where I carry my stress....so it is bothering me right now..

Anyhow do take care and please keep posting.......we can all get each other through the hard times..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!