Share site week of Thanksgiving

pmama

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! Definitely not new to Disney or the disboards but new to Fort Wilderness. I see up to ten people are allowed on a site. Is there a website or somewhere where tent campers can join up with pop up campers to share a site? Looking for tent campers who have already booked and want to save by sharing the cost. We’d like to rent pop up to be delivered.

This is definitely a reasonable request considering the cost of a site these days! (What used to cost only about $35 with AAA (tent site) just a few short years ago now costs around $100) To answer your question, unfortunately there is currently no place on the Camping Disboard where this need is met. Personally, I think this would make a very useful "Sticky".

Hello everyone! Definitely not new to Disney or the disboards but new to Fort Wilderness. I see up to ten people are allowed on a site. Is there a website or somewhere where tent campers can join up with pop up campers to share a site? Looking for tent campers who have already booked and want to save by sharing the cost. We’d like to rent pop up to be delivered.

This is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time! There are a few 110 electrical plugs at each tent site in addition to the 30 and 50 amp plugs, so no reason there couldn't be site sharing. It would be easier in the 2000 loop, where sites are larger, but could work out on 1500 too.

We always invite our grown kids, and their families, to tent on our site. If it weren't for that, I would definitely be open to sharing with tenters. We have a full hook up site reserved in November, but we have a pop up and it's not the week of thanksgiving.

This particular item has come up in the past on a few occasions, but it is rare. About once every few years someone will inquire about it. As prices continue to increase it may very well become more commonplace, but I think I've only seen this come up about 3 times since I've been on the forum. One of those times it got ugly as the lady involved was WAY out in left field.

I think it is a good offer to try. Maybe someone will be interested and help you both out.

One of those times it got ugly as the lady involved was WAY out in left field.

This would be my only fear. Some written ground rules would have to be agreed up, but I imagine there would still manage to be issues at times. Lots of crazies out there.

Many years ago, in the 90's, we went camping with friends that we knew. Not at Disney, just a regular campground. These people were not campers and we stupidly tried to introduce them to camping. They were obnoxious, played loud music out of their car the whole time, threw trash on the ground and a number of other intolerable things. We ended up leaving the second day and were no longer friends.

This particular item has come up in the past on a few occasions, but it is rare. About once every few years someone will inquire about it. As prices continue to increase it may very well become more commonplace, but I think I've only seen this come up about 3 times since I've been on the forum. One of those times it got ugly as the lady involved was WAY out in left field.

I think it is a good offer to try. Maybe someone will be interested and help you both out.

Yeah, that lady (who wanted to put a tent on the site that someone else had reserved) said she could not tolerate perfumes or scents of any kind in her host group and she was bringing her dogs who "needed their space" (yes in a tent). That was a fun thread but that was the old days (maybe 2010?).

Given the concept now of AirBnb coupled with higher campsite prices, this topic is bound to come up more often in the future. The issue is that only one person is on Disney's books as the "customer of record" (even if cost sharing occurs behind the scenes) and that person is responsible ultimately for the actions/behavior of everyone listed on their reservation (everything has to be listed on the reservation and above board).

While the OP who asked this question may be exemplary and not a problem for anyone who "hosts" them, not every Disney guest is reasonable and rational. My DD has been a Cast Member at WDW this spring in Custodial through the Disney College Program and the things guests do who stay at her Deluxe hotel make me wonder sometimes if those people are sane.

It's a risk on the side of both parties. :confused3 Personally I am not comfortable with it as a host. But that's just me.

Bama Ed

PS - and pop-ups per se (I know what one is because I've owned one for over a decade) are not rented and set up at the Fort. Travel Trailers are; Recreational Vehicles are (Class A); Hybrids are; but the last popup rental company that rented pure pop-ups stopped their business a couple years ago :crazy:. There is a related thread on the Camping Board Page 1 about what can go on a Tent site but for the record, what those options are don't qualify as pop-ups.

PPS - and if anyone wants to wait two months, you can reserve a Tent site for Thanksgiving 2019 on your own.

Last edited:
It’s hard to share with family members.....I can’t imagine strangers. If you end up doing it, I would be interested in how it went. I will say.....Holiday season is expensive, so camping.....even absorbing the cost all on your own is a very economical way of getting the perks of onsite staying without breaking the bank. Providing your food is another way of cutting costs.
We will be there with our camper for four days after thanksgiving.....starting Saturday. It’s our family tradition.

It's a risk on the side of both parties. :confused3 Personally I am not comfortable with it as a host. But that's just me.

This made me think of something that can definitely be an issue. Most of our trips to the Fort involve 3 adults who each pay for their own food and purchases. Each of us registers our our card with our individual magic band at the desk. Even so, charges are often confused between cards. More than once, everything has ended up on my card, since I'm always the one who does the reserving. Because we are family, we sort it out when we get home.

We have went back to the front desk to straighten it out more than once, and always ends up a mess again. We have had the same thing happen at Pop. Dealing with strangers, I think MB charging would have to be completely disabled by the host, or they may end up paying for everything since they would likely not even know it was happening until check out day.

Yeah, that lady (who wanted to put a tent on the site that someone else had reserved) said she could not tolerate perfumes or scents of any kind in her host group and she was bringing her dogs who "needed their space" (yes in a tent). That was a fun thread but that was the old days (maybe 2010?).

This is kind of a compilation of 3 different threads.

Dogs need their space thread. (also no drinking, smoking, and must be in bed by 9:30)

Odd request with no drinking, smoking, pets.

Don't have time right now to search for the "unscented" thread, but will see if I can find it later. Reading these (and the charges mix up I mentioned) definitely make me have second thoughts about what I originally thought was a great idea.

Last edited:
Thanks for finding those, FF.

The second link was the main one I remembered (has it really been 9 years?). I had searched for it with it no luck. I remembered "horse" was in her user name but didn't come across it.

I recall seeing these requests about once a year (maybe less) but I've seen a couple and we never see the loop closed after the trip to find out how it went. That "unscented/no scent" request is out there somewhere because I didn't dream it up. :crazy:

Again, it's just a roll of the dice for all involved (if you are willing to take that amount of additional risk on your Disney vacation).

Bama Ed

Last edited:
That "unscented/no scent" request is out there somewhere because I didn't dream it up. :crazy:

I totally believe you! :) I have a feeling it was a woman named PennyBee or something like that. I saw it in my search, but she had edited all her posts so not sure what they had originally said. I will link to it in a few.

EDIT: This may have been the "unscented" thread. I notice she asked mods to remove her threads on 3 different boards.

It's pretty funny reading the "no drinking, smoking, pets" topic and they are discussing $70/night being the busy season rate.

If the OP gets someone to share, please update us here on how it goes.

j

This is kind of a compilation of 3 different threads.

Dogs need their space thread. (also no drinking, smoking, and must be in bed by 9:30)

Odd request with no drinking, smoking, pets.

Don't have time right now to search for the "unscented" thread, but will see if I can find it later. Reading these (and the charges mix up I mentioned) definitely make me have second thoughts about what I originally thought was a great idea.

Wow bringing back Memories. These old threads are going to make me miss Tender Donkey. Vote for Robo. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter