Shanghai Disneyland -When to purchase my park tickets.

tnbrowne2004

Earning My Ears
Hi- We're going to be visiting Shanghai Disney before we go on a cruise. I have already made reservations at Toy Story Hotel but haven't purchased park tickets. When I check in can I purchase them then, or do I need to call them now and add tickets to my reservation? Also, has anyone gone to the Shanghai cruise port and know around how long it takes to get there from Disney?

Let me tell you what NOT to do, based on personal experience. :) We booked our hotel months before our trip, and then purchased park tickets through the official app. What we didn't realize is that even though the hotel stay and the tickets both showed up in the app, they were not linked, so we didn't qualify for the separate hotel guest entrance to Shanghai Disneyland, and the extra set of fastpasses (and trust me - you want both). Luckily they were able to sort this out for us when we got there, but not without a lot of confusion.

I have heard that hotel guests can purchase tickets when they arrive at the hotel and are guaranteed park entry (i.e. no worry about the park reaching capacity first; they'll let you in.) In hindsight, that's what we should have done. I think calling to add tickets to your reservation would also work.

Let me tell you what NOT to do, based on personal experience. :) We booked our hotel months before our trip, and then purchased park tickets through the official app. What we didn't realize is that even though the hotel stay and the tickets both showed up in the app, they were not linked, so we didn't qualify for the separate hotel guest entrance to Shanghai Disneyland, and the extra set of fastpasses (and trust me - you want both). Luckily they were able to sort this out for us when we got there, but not without a lot of confusion.

I have heard that hotel guests can purchase tickets when they arrive at the hotel and are guaranteed park entry (i.e. no worry about the park reaching capacity first; they'll let you in.) In hindsight, that's what we should have done. I think calling to add tickets to your reservation would also work.

Thank you so much for the information. I think will call them and see if I can add it on. I definitely do want that extra set of fast passes as we only have 1 day in the park and need to get everything in.

This is really good information---thanks

Was there a reason you weren't allowed to use the hotel guest entry? I was under the impression that staying on property is what allowed you to gain early entry, not where you purchased your tickets... I've read multiple reports of people being denied the extra fastpasses if they didn't book their tickets through the hotel, but never being denied early entry.

I'd love to hear more about your experience as we plan on grabbing the 1/2 year pass when we arrive. The whole point of us booking Toy Story was to avoid the main gates and get in 15 minutes early...

Was there a reason you weren't allowed to use the hotel guest entry? I was under the impression that staying on property is what allowed you to gain early entry, not where you purchased your tickets... I've read multiple reports of people being denied the extra fastpasses if they didn't book their tickets through the hotel, but never being denied early entry.

I'd love to hear more about your experience as we plan on grabbing the 1/2 year pass when we arrive. The whole point of us booking Toy Story was to avoid the main gates and get in 15 minutes early...

If we hadn't been able to sort things out when we got to the hotel, we would have had to go to the main gate on our park day in order to have our tickets printed for us there. They don't print tickets at the hotel guest gate, only at the main gate, and there's no way to get in early there - you're at the mercy of the official opening time and how far back in the crowd you are!

The hotel staff were eventually (with a supervisor's help) able to refund the park tickets we bought and issue us new park tickets that were printed right at the hotel, thus allowing us entry through the hotel guest gate. However - we arrived at the Toy Story Hotel on July 8th, it is now September 4th, and we still don't have our refund. When we were there in person, they said it would take 30 days to process, and they've replied to recent email inquiries saying to be patient and that it's coming... but... nothing yet. We're OK with waiting, as long as we do eventually get the refund! But I think this speaks volumes regarding the guest experience at Shanghai Disney. It is not even close to the go-to-any-length-to-satisfy-the-guest mentality you find at the US parks.

I don't think you can buy park tickets further than 30 days out, so I'm hoping to buy them from the Concierge when we get there. Hopefully this will all work out for us :scared:

I don't think you can buy park tickets further than 30 days out, so I'm hoping to buy them from the Concierge when we get there. Hopefully this will all work out for us :scared:
I did call them on Monday and asked if I could add on park tickets to my reservation and they told me just to purchase them when we checked in. So we shall see. We'll be there next Thursday with the park day on Friday, since we have to maximize our time I was thinking about purchasing the Premier Access pass which will get us fast passes to all the rides that offer one, however it is quite pricey so still on the fence about that.

I did call them on Monday and asked if I could add on park tickets to my reservation and they told me just to purchase them when we checked in. So we shall see. We'll be there next Thursday with the park day on Friday, since we have to maximize our time I was thinking about purchasing the Premier Access pass which will get us fast passes to all the rides that offer one, however it is quite pricey so still on the fence about that.

We just came back from visiting all 3 Asia Disney parks. We stayed at the Toy Story Hotel (made reservations months ahead) and purchased our park tickets when we checked into the hotel. They have a Concierge desk and it seemed like everyone was buying their tickets there. They gave us a FP per Disney day and asked what time we wanted it. We had 2 park days and choose Soarin' and Tron for each of the days. They then added them onto my Disney account and I was able to access them on the App. We took the shuttle from the hotel and entered thru the Hotel Guest gates. We lined up for the first shuttle of the morning between the times of 6:15 - 6:30am (there were already a line forming) and got to the gates at 7 am. Encountered some pushing at the security lines but was expecting this so we just stood our ground. We got in around 7:20am and could book our other FP on the App as soon as we were thru the gates. We didn't expect to like Shanghai Disney due to reading about some of the pushing, shoving, etc but were pleasantly suprised. The cast members were friendly and helpful, especially at the Toy Story Hotel. Some of the other tourists are another story. LOL

We just came back from visiting all 3 Asia Disney parks. We stayed at the Toy Story Hotel (made reservations months ahead) and purchased our park tickets when we checked into the hotel. They have a Concierge desk and it seemed like everyone was buying their tickets there. They gave us a FP per Disney day and asked what time we wanted it. We had 2 park days and choose Soarin' and Tron for each of the days. They then added them onto my Disney account and I was able to access them on the App. We took the shuttle from the hotel and entered thru the Hotel Guest gates. We lined up for the first shuttle of the morning between the times of 6:15 - 6:30am (there were already a line forming) and got to the gates at 7 am. Encountered some pushing at the security lines but was expecting this so we just stood our ground. We got in around 7:20am and could book our other FP on the App as soon as we were thru the gates. We didn't expect to like Shanghai Disney due to reading about some of the pushing, shoving, etc but were pleasantly suprised. The cast members were friendly and helpful, especially at the Toy Story Hotel. Some of the other tourists are another story. LOL

We got to the Toy Story Hotel and after we checked in we went to the concierge desk right next to check in and purchased our park tickets, really easy and they even made us take pictures of our tickets (which I probably would have done anyways). Really easy, my stress was for nothing. On Friday the 14th, we had such great luck in the park, there was a running event going on that weekend so the park didn't open for non hotel guest until 11:00 AM, we got in before 10:00 or maybe a little after, I can't remember. We had the whole park to ourselves, it was so awesome, we went on every ride we wanted to and didn't even need to use the fast passes, all before noon.We went to Disneytown for lunch and some drinks and when we came back that is when we saw the crowds, but at this point it was probably after 2:00. I had decided to get Premier Access passes which were a complete waste since we went on everything so early, i just kind of spazzed out and got them because I was paranoid it would be out of control crowded, so I definitely wasted money on that. Overall Shanghai Disney was great, Pirates was just unbelievable, so different than Disneyland and Disney World's version. It's fun to ride the familiar rides but hear it in Mandarin (Peter Pan, Pooh). I also did not see any kind of bad behavior there, from other reviews I thought there would be crowd pushing, spitting etc. it was pleasant. We did go on a cruise out of shanghai after and that was more of a madhouse than Disney!

I’ve been considering the half year Seasonal pass for my trip. I’m only planning 2 days at the parks but the discounts on food and merch would make up for the difference (especially since I’d get the weekday pass). They also have discounts on hotels, which I was hoping to use, but now I’m concerned this could cause more problems. So a couple questions:
1) Will purchasing a seasonal ticket negate my ability to use the hotel entrance and extra FPs?
2) can I get it at the hotel and forgo the hotel discount?

I’ve been considering the half year Seasonal pass for my trip. I’m only planning 2 days at the parks but the discounts on food and merch would make up for the difference (especially since I’d get the weekday pass). They also have discounts on hotels, which I was hoping to use, but now I’m concerned this could cause more problems. So a couple questions:
1) Will purchasing a seasonal ticket negate my ability to use the hotel entrance and extra FPs?
2) can I get it at the hotel and forgo the hotel discount?

We are not going till later this month, but what others have shared and emailing the resort, my understanding is, a seasonal ticket will still allow you to use the hotel entrance. But you will not get extra fast passes as you did not purchase park tickets through the hotel concierge or with your booking.

Others have noted you can get the hotel discount if you call in and buy both the 1/2 year pass and book hotel together by phone. However you will need to pickup and activate your pass before being allowed to check in.

The 1/2 year pass can only be picked up at the main gates and not through the hotel.

We are not going till later this month, but what others have shared and emailing the resort, my understanding is, a seasonal ticket will still allow you to use the hotel entrance. But you will not get extra fast passes as you did not purchase park tickets through the hotel concierge or with your booking.

Others have noted you can get the hotel discount if you call in and buy both the 1/2 year pass and book hotel together by phone. However you will need to pickup and activate your pass before being allowed to check in.

The 1/2 year pass can only be picked up at the main gates and not through the hotel.
Ok, I’ll have to think about it. Right now it’s looking like I’ll get there around noon but don’t plan to go into the park that day. So maybe arrive-leave luggage at hotel-go over to main gate and pick up pass, then walk back over and then officially check in. Can you easily leave the luggage without checking in yet? (I plan to stay at Shanghai Disney hotel not Toy Story, just because the style suits me more)

Edit: I re-ran the math and while it would save money to get the seasonal, it isn't enough for me to deal with the headaches. So, I will just use the tips here and get 2-day tickets when I get the room.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what time the concierge at the Toy Story Hotel closes? We’re going in November and only have one park day. Our flight doesn’t arrive in Shanghai until 7:30 pm on a Sunday. Not sure how long customs and the ride from the airport will take (we’be booked a car service), but don’t think we’ll get to the hotel much before 9:00 pm.

Better to buy tickets so we know we have them (we’re planning on getting the premier access once there), but miss out on the Disneytown entrance or wait until we get there and possibly have to buy the morning of our park day if the concierge is closed by the time we get to the hotel?

Also, the USD exchange rate is pretty good today, so tickets for four are only about $230.

So many decisions!

Does anyone know what time the concierge at the Toy Story Hotel closes? We’re going in November and only have one park day. Our flight doesn’t arrive in Shanghai until 7:30 pm on a Sunday. Not sure how long customs and the ride from the airport will take (we’be booked a car service), but don’t think we’ll get to the hotel much before 9:00 pm.

Better to buy tickets so we know we have them (we’re planning on getting the premier access once there), but miss out on the Disneytown entrance or wait until we get there and possibly have to buy the morning of our park day if the concierge is closed by the time we get to the hotel?

Also, the USD exchange rate is pretty good today, so tickets for four are only about $230.

So many decisions!
We didn't get to the hotel until 9:30-9:45 and the concierge was still open and we purchased our park tickets.

So many decisions!

We are going November this year and sounds like our arrival is similar to yours; arriving on Sunday evening and going to the park Monday. How were the crowds in November? How long was arrival at the airport to arrival at Disney hotel?

We are going November this year and sounds like our arrival is similar to yours; arriving on Sunday evening and going to the park Monday. How were the crowds in November? How long was arrival at the airport to arrival at Disney hotel?

We were there on November 12th. Crowds for us were pretty low, it helped that it was a cloudy, light rain kind of day. I think it kept locals away that day.

I think it was about 30 minutes from the airport to the Toy Story Hotel? We used Mr. Orange car service and were pleased.
Honestly, I was so tired from the trip, I don’t really remember how long it took! Ha! That said, we had no problems getting our tickets when we got to the hotel. We also got to pick the extra fast pass. We did buy the fast passes when we got into the park as well. Even though the park wasn’t all that crowded, it was nice to do things with pretty much no wait in the fast pass line and not have to run to Soarin or Pirates.

We were there on November 12th. Crowds for us were pretty low, it helped that it was a cloudy, light rain kind of day. I think it kept locals away that day.

I think it was about 30 minutes from the airport to the Toy Story Hotel? We used Mr. Orange car service and were pleased.
Honestly, I was so tired from the trip, I don’t really remember how long it took! Ha! That said, we had no problems getting our tickets when we got to the hotel. We also got to pick the extra fast pass. We did buy the fast passes when we got into the park as well. Even though the park wasn’t all that crowded, it was nice to do things with pretty much no wait in the fast pass line and not have to run to Soarin or Pirates.

30 minutes sounds about right, I was tired as well and it was pouring rain outside so I was just happy to have door to door service in a car. Buying tickets at the hotel is best. One thing to keep in mind is if you want the paper ticket souvenir on it. Fortunately, I was staying 3 nights so after I used the first 2 day ticket I bought at the hotel, I just decided to buy the 3rd day ticket on the app and pick it up at the park (really wanted the paper ticket souvenir).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter