SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Quick question that I can't find a clear answer to: can a non-military individual return a rental car at the SoG Alamo/National location? There is no restriction that I see listed on National's website & it will allow me to select that location, but I have also read that military ID is required to even enter the grounds. I don't want to book that location for my rental return & then run into a problem.

Quick question that I can't find a clear answer to: can a non-military individual return a rental car at the SoG Alamo/National location? There is no restriction that I see listed on National's website & it will allow me to select that location, but I have also read that military ID is required to even enter the grounds. I don't want to book that location for my rental return & then run into a problem.

Hmmm, interesting question. I've never rented from Alamo, but have walked past the little desk plenty and it's often closed during non-peak hours of the day (with a little sign directing you to the front counter of the resort, I think). It may be best to call them directly to ask; I found the following number listed for Alamo on the Shades of Green website: 407-885-0367

Hmmm, interesting question. I've never rented from Alamo, but have walked past the little desk plenty and it's often closed during non-peak hours of the day (with a little sign directing you to the front counter of the resort, I think). It may be best to call them directly to ask; I found the following number listed for Alamo on the Shades of Green website: 407-885-0367

Thanks. I actually ended up submitting a question directly to Shades of Green on their website.

I haven't seen this mentioned and we haven't stayed at SOG in almost two years so before 180+10 ADR's and 60 day FP+were added. But, today is 180 days til our arrival and I had linked our reservation in MDE a couple of months ago, but I can only make 180 day ADR's. I called Disney and they said, oh SOG has to give you a Disney Reservation #. What? Anyone else have that issue? The only number on our confirmation email is a confirmation # and it links in MDE fine. I'm a little peeved as we have a couple of places we really want to eat at and they can be hard to get. Plus, I really hate having to log onto my computer every morning and rush out to work. I already couldn't get Homecoming for our first night, sigh.

I haven't seen this mentioned and we haven't stayed at SOG in almost two years so before 180+10 ADR's and 60 day FP+were added. But, today is 180 days til our arrival and I had linked our reservation in MDE a couple of months ago, but I can only make 180 day ADR's. I called Disney and they said, oh SOG has to give you a Disney Reservation #. What? Anyone else have that issue? The only number on our confirmation email is a confirmation # and it links in MDE fine. I'm a little peeved as we have a couple of places we really want to eat at and they can be hard to get. Plus, I really hate having to log onto my computer every morning and rush out to work. I already couldn't get Homecoming for our first night, sigh.

It is my understanding from relatives who stay at SOG, that you do get FP+ at 60 days but you do not get 180+10 for ADRs. Both the Swan and Dolphin are both the same way.

It is my understanding from relatives who stay at SOG, that you do get FP+ at 60 days but you do not get 180+10 for ADRs. Both the Swan and Dolphin are both the same way.

It used to be just 180, but there are posts here stating you do get 180+10 now. We've stayed there 7 times and until about two years ago, no 180+10 ADR's and no 60 day FP+.

I just stayed there in April and I did dining reservations at 180 (I didn't watch for the +10) just fine online, and I was linked in MDE prior to making them with no other number but what SOG gave on the confirmation email. Surprised the internet help desk couldn't be of more assistance, but wondering if that particular person maybe hadn't dealt with many SOG and MDE issues. There isn't any separate Disney reservation number I'm aware of.
*Edit, now that I went to read on a separate area exactly what is meant by +10, in this case then yes I did do 180+10. I was able to book at 180 plus the length of my trip (trip was 9 nights, 10 days).

Last edited:

I just stayed there in April and I did dining reservations at 180 (I didn't watch for the +10) just fine online, and I was linked in MDE prior to making them with no other number but what SOG gave on the confirmation email. Surprised the internet help desk couldn't be of more assistance, but wondering if that particular person maybe hadn't dealt with many SOG and MDE issues. There isn't any separate Disney reservation number I'm aware of.
*Edit, now that I went to read on a separate area exactly what is meant by +10, in this case then yes I did do 180+10. I was able to book at 180 plus the length of my trip (trip was 9 nights, 10 days).

I sent an email to Disney hoping that will get directed correctly. As it is, most of what we want, won't be an issue at 180, but we want to go to 'Ohana again after not going the last couple of trips and I know I won't be able to get a decent time if I wait til 180. Even though my SOG reservation shows on the MDE, for some reason, all the calendar shows is grayed out after my 180 day. So, I'll be back up tomorrow am, but I'm booking Via Napoli which I know I'll be able to get. My bigger concern is 60 day FP+ so they have 120 days to fix the issue lol.

I got an answer to my email today and it was to just to call the help desk, which I did and waited on hold for 15 minutes. I don't know what she did, but it worked. I only had two more ADR's to make. One was LTT for lunch which is always easy to get since we do between 1-130. The other was our last night for 'ohana. I ended up booking 8:50 pm as that was the only time available after 5 pm. I'll keep checking for cancellations, but at least I have it. The only thing I didn't get that I wanted was Homecomin for our first night (although I checked other nights and it was either 450 pm or not available). I'll keep checking that too. So, I was able to book Spirit of Aloha and Via Napoli too. Nothing I've booked is new to us except Maria and Enzo's for the first night.

I asked this question in the memory maker thread, but I thought I would also ask here because it involves a military discount.

In March of 2020 DW, DD, my sister, BIL, niece and nephew, and my parents will be staying at SOG and spending a week at Disney. My father is retired military and we are pretty familiar with SOG. But, for the first time, my wife and I want to do the memory maker. I know that there is a military discount that my dad can get, but, can that then be linked to my MDE account and then I connect with everyone else in the group so that we can all get the pictures? My parents are only quasi-computer literate and it would be a lot easier for me to manage this for our group. Does guest relations just issue the card and then you use that to link to MDE and whoever enters it gets it, or is it automatically linked to a profile when it is issued? Thanks for any help.

This might be a dumb question but we have not been to Disney in several years. We are booked at SOG for March 2020. We have our room reserved but did not buy any tickets yet as we are waiting for next years ticket specials to come out. I am assuming that we are unable to input any plans/dining until our tickets are purchased??

This might be a dumb question but we have not been to Disney in several years. We are booked at SOG for March 2020. We have our room reserved but did not buy any tickets yet as we are waiting for next years ticket specials to come out. I am assuming that we are unable to input any plans/dining until our tickets are purchased??
Dining you can reserve at 180 days from the date you'll be there, and as far as plans, if you mean FastPass+ then that's available at 60 days out. Those you will have to wait for purchased (and attached to My Disney Experience) tickets. You can input your SOG reservation number into MDE, but it's VERY possible that MDE will drop your reservation multiple times. It doesn't mean you're not still booked there, just that you'll have to re-input your res # for it to show up in MDE. Biggest time to make sure you do this is right before FP+ booking day. Search through this thread and you'll find lots of tips and instances of this.
Enjoy your trip!!

Has anyone used Minnie Vans while at Shades? I was looking to book airport transfer back to MCO from Shades and was told Minnie Vans does not pick up there. But I am reading otherwise on the militarydisneytips website. I ended up renting from alamo with 2 car seats, but I would much prefer taking a Minnie Van even if it costs a little more.

ETA: Called and asked- Minnie Vans can pick up from Shades for transport around Disney property but they cannot bring you to and from MCO because of permits.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the credit card used to book a room at SOG needs to be in the name of the service member, or does the reservation only need to be in their name? My younger son is active duty deployed overseas and will be returning to the US in September. We want to book a trip while he is on leave for the end of September but I would like to be able to pay the deposit with my credit card now so we can still get a room. It will be myself, and both of my sons in the room.

Does anyone know if the credit card used to book a room at SOG needs to be in the name of the service member, or does the reservation only need to be in their name? My younger son is active duty deployed overseas and will be returning to the US in September. We want to book a trip while he is on leave for the end of September but I would like to be able to pay the deposit with my credit card now so we can still get a room. It will be myself, and both of my sons in the room.

The name on the card does not have to match the serviceman’s name. I just reserved 3 rooms for next year with my credit card, but my daughter’s name.

FYI. My husband was in the military, so we can stay at Shades in September with his DD214. We were looking for the last week of September and couldn’t make our dates work because two days were sold out in the middle of the week. Hope you can make your dates work!

Thank you Teacher31. I saw that it looks like the 25th and 26th are booked. That was our backup week. We are planning to arrive on the 28th so I went ahead and booked a room. We’re really excited to try SOG.
The name on the card does not have to match the serviceman’s name. I just reserved 3 rooms for next year with my credit card, but my daughter’s name.

FYI. My husband was in the military, so we can stay at Shades in September with his DD214. We were looking for the last week of September and couldn’t make our dates work because two days were sold out in the middle of the week. Hope you can make your dates work!

Has anyone used grocery delivery at SOG? What company and how does it work? As a backup where is the nearest grocery store? Can I fit a full gallon of milk in the mini fridge?

It's a grocery delivery service, from what I found online. I have never used it, but I looked at prices. I don't know if bell services would accept perishable items? I'm planning on using Amazon Prime, we are just getting non-perishables delivered plus sun screen etc..

Airforce Wife can you comment to how your grocery delivery worked out?

Has anyone used grocery delivery at SOG? What company and how does it work? As a backup where is the nearest grocery store? Can I fit a full gallon of milk in the mini fridge?
We have used Amazon Prime Now several times at SOG flawlessly. Another option is Garden Grocer I hear good things but have not personally used them. There is a WalMart close by if you need to go. The mini fridge will hold a half gallon of milk.
Hope this helps some!

We have used Amazon Prime Now several times at SOG flawlessly. Another option is Garden Grocer I hear good things but have not personally used them. There is a WalMart close by if you need to go. The mini fridge will hold a half gallon of milk.
Hope this helps some!
Thank you very much

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter