SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Parking question. We are localish. I'm driving over with kiddos tomorrow to get APs and potentially see the resort decorations. Not going to have the APs activated (I think...these are Christmas presents so trying to be stealthy). I planned on parking at SoG, going to the ticket counter, then heading to the monorail resorts to see decorations. No park time. Would I be able to do this? I thought I saw last time I was there an hourly parking fee. Is this the best plan?

I would think that should be okay, since you're visiting the ticket office. The rates for parking are here: https://www.shadesofgreen.org/accommodations/parking You would have to walk to the Poly/back since you wouldn't be allowed on the buses without a resort ID; the only potential issue I can think of is the new-ish security check for people walking on the path (it's been a year since we were there and while we were always ready to show our resort IDs, they never asked; I think that's since changed, but I'm not 100%). But perhaps if they give you some sort of parking receipt, you'd be able to show that?

We booked our stay for next year last night. We're doing a b2b cruise on Harmony of the Seas out of PC and then heading to SOG and WDW for 5 nights before coming back home a few days before Thanksgiving. This will be our 8th time staying at SOG.

I have tried calling several times and have emailed SOG twice with no response. After 20 minutes of being on hold I give up. Here is my question:

I am active duty, will be staying at SOG and my parents (who are not military) will be staying with me all 4 days. We are arriving in 2 seperate cars as they are driving from Texas and I am flying and will be taking Uber from the airport. I know I have to show my reservation and my military ID to get through the date but how will be parents get through the gate if I am not on their car the first time? I know after we check in they will be given a guest slip.

Lisa

When they get to the gate they will tell the guard they have a reservation and also give your name.

Lisa Cameron, I've arrived the last two years separate from my dad (the sponsor)--though on the same day--and it's been no problem. As WiWe said, they just need to give your name at the gate.

Lisa Cameron, I've arrived the last two years separate from my dad (the sponsor)--though on the same day--and it's been no problem. As WiWe said, they just need to give your name at the gate.
The email confirmation letter says I need to show the confirmation to the Magic Kingdom Toll Plaza. So they would show they same thing even though they don’t have ID to match?
I don’t remember doing this last year...

The email confirmation letter says I need to show the confirmation to the Magic Kingdom Toll Plaza. So they would show they same thing even though they don’t have ID to match?I don’t remember doing this last year...

You don't have to worry about that anymore as traffic has been rerouted (as of about 3 months ago) and you'll just follow the signs to MK resorts and you no longer go through the MK parking gates.

FYI for anyone staying this Thursday night, Dec 13th, that didn't get an email, Shades is doing some sort of testing of their emergency power system from midnight to 2am Friday morning and they will have to shut off all the main power. I got an email about this but I almost didn't see it because it was in my junk folder. If anyone has to have power for medical reasons they need to contact them asap. Otherwise, don't forget a battery operated light so you can find the bathroom if needed during that time period.

What is the earliest SOG has let guests check in? I know subject to availability. My flight gets in early on a Friday AM and we want to go to magic kingdom but not excited about finally getting into our room at 10-11pm. I would consider evening booking the night before (even though we won’t be there) but no availability. Thoughts?

What is the earliest SOG has let guests check in? I know subject to availability. My flight gets in early on a Friday AM and we want to go to magic kingdom but not excited about finally getting into our room at 10-11pm. I would consider evening booking the night before (even though we won’t be there) but no availability. Thoughts?

In November, we came over from another resort around 8 a.m. and were able to check in and complete all the paperwork before heading over to MK. Our rooms weren't ready until around noon--they texted us to let us know and we just had to stop at the front desk and pick up the room keys when we got back. So, I think you can check in whenever you'd like but, like the Disney resorts, your room may not be ready till later. We were able to park and check luggage and head on over to MK.

In November, we came over from another resort around 8 a.m. and were able to check in and complete all the paperwork before heading over to MK. Our rooms weren't ready until around noon--they texted us to let us know and we just had to stop at the front desk and pick up the room keys when we got back. So, I think you can check in whenever you'd like but, like the Disney resorts, your room may not be ready till later. We were able to park and check luggage and head on over to MK.
Great, thanks!

We'll be staying at Shades of Green in January and are planning to purchase APs from the ticket office there. Can someone verify that we'll receive AP certificates and that the tickets won't yet be activated. We don't want to use them yet. Thanks!

We'll be staying at Shades of Green in January and are planning to purchase APs from the ticket office there. Can someone verify that we'll receive AP certificates and that the tickets won't yet be activated. We don't want to use them yet. Thanks!
Yes you will get either a certificate or ticket media that is not activated. We upgraded an unused Salute ticket (needed original receipt) to an AP for my DH. They actually just used the ticket media (plastic card) and wrote on it that it was an AP certificate. We took it to a park and had guest services activate it.

Yes you will get either a certificate or ticket media that is not activated. We upgraded an unused Salute ticket (needed original receipt) to an AP for my DH. They actually just used the ticket media (plastic card) and wrote on it that it was an AP certificate. We took it to a park and had guest services activate it.

Thank you!

I have a question for those who have stayed recently, as it's been a few years since we were last at SOG and at the time this was not an issue for us.

We are planning a family trip for next December and my DW and I will have a 7 month old at the time, our first. We have no idea if she will still be nursing or on formula at that time and, honestly, we have no way of knowing that until much closer to. But, on a thread in the family section of the board, I noticed someone mention that when they took their child that was around 7 months old, they had a problem with the freezer in their room at an "on site" Disney resort. Basically, the freezer didn't actually get cold enough to freeze their ice packs so they couldn't keep milk cold for their baby for more than a couple of hours, necessitating several trips back to the room. It was apparently a problem with the model of fridge because even replacement units didn't help. My question is, do the freezers at SOG get cold enough that an ice pack will actually stay frozen through and keep cold for long enough that we could realistically be out from around 8-2, assuming our baby is up for that herself, or are we going to run into the same problem? First time parents here and we are just concerned already because of all of the other logistics that we know go into traveling with a child from reading and seeing family do so, and then we see something like that and it starts our imaginations up. We know this trip will be wildly different than any before, and we're fine with that, but at the same time if we're spending half the day going back and forth to the hotel just to feed and swap ice packs we might wait a little longer to go. Thanks for any help, and if anyone has any similar experiences staying recently with a baby about that age we'd love to know how it went.

I have a question for those who have stayed recently, as it's been a few years since we were last at SOG and at the time this was not an issue for us.

We are planning a family trip for next December and my DW and I will have a 7 month old at the time, our first. We have no idea if she will still be nursing or on formula at that time and, honestly, we have no way of knowing that until much closer to. But, on a thread in the family section of the board, I noticed someone mention that when they took their child that was around 7 months old, they had a problem with the freezer in their room at an "on site" Disney resort. Basically, the freezer didn't actually get cold enough to freeze their ice packs so they couldn't keep milk cold for their baby for more than a couple of hours, necessitating several trips back to the room. It was apparently a problem with the model of fridge because even replacement units didn't help. My question is, do the freezers at SOG get cold enough that an ice pack will actually stay frozen through and keep cold for long enough that we could realistically be out from around 8-2, assuming our baby is up for that herself, or are we going to run into the same problem? First time parents here and we are just concerned already because of all of the other logistics that we know go into traveling with a child from reading and seeing family do so, and then we see something like that and it starts our imaginations up. We know this trip will be wildly different than any before, and we're fine with that, but at the same time if we're spending half the day going back and forth to the hotel just to feed and swap ice packs we might wait a little longer to go. Thanks for any help, and if anyone has any similar experiences staying recently with a baby about that age we'd love to know how it went.

I can't speak to Shades specifically but I've never really had luck with those smaller for freezers freezing anything. Are you concerned with keeping breast milk cold or formula? I wouldn't be concerned about formula. For formal you could just bring a bottle of water and separate powdered formula and mix it as needed or you could buy the ready made formula for the week.

I can't speak to Shades specifically but I've never really had luck with those smaller for freezers freezing anything. Are you concerned with keeping breast milk cold or formula? I wouldn't be concerned about formula. For formal you could just bring a bottle of water and separate powdered formula and mix it as needed or you could buy the ready made formula for the week.
Breast milk, assuming she's still on it. Hooray variables!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!