SF, Yosemite & Redwood Nat'l Park... Is this doable?

mchames

Mouseketeer<br><font color=red>Desperate times cal
My knowledge of CA geography is quite pitiful, so please forgive me if this is completely nuts!:confused3

My DH and I have been discussing taking a family vacation out west this summer. It would be me, DH, DD9 and DD7. We are really up in the air about where to go, when to go, and how long to stay. The girls get out of school in late May and return in early August, so we were leaning toward sometime in June/July... just like everybody else:rotfl: .

One of the scenarios we have been considering is flying into San Francisco, spending a few days there, visiting Point Reyes Nat'l Seashore, Redwood Nat'l Park and Yosemite (not necessarilly in that order). Is this doable? We would probably have about 10 days. At this point, we are flexible in number of days and when during the summer we would travel.

How many days would you suggest staying at Yosemite? I've checked availability, and there seems to be very limited accommodations still available, though our dates are pretty flexible. Tenaya Lodge seemed to have the most open availability. Is that a good place to stay?

Any other suggestions on must see places to visit in Northern CA?

Thanks.
Mary

PS- DH laughed uncontrollably when I told him that the DIS had a board dedicated to CA vacations. He then asked if there was anything I couldn't find out on the DIS!!!!:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Of course you can find anything on the DIS :goodvibes

Besides the Tenaya Lodge, you might also try www.redwoodsinyosemite.com. It is a residential area within Yosemite, and there are several cabins you can rent. I've stayed there twice, and recommend it. I would rather camp in the valley, but it's nice staying in a cabin, too. If you can get a hard-walled cabin, you might try Curry Village in the valley or Yosemite Lodge. The tent cabins are decent, but you're practically on top of each other there. If that is not an issue, you might try staying in one of these, though you'd have to go to a communal bathroom & shower (of course, boys & girls are separated).

I'd recommend staying at least two nights in Yosemite, and at that you will still have busy days - things to see: Glacier Point (must-do), Mariposa & the big sequoia trees, and the valley. In the valley you can walk to the base of Bridalveil and Yosemite Falls. If you are a bit more adventurous, hike to the bridge at the base of Vernal Falls, or even to the top of those waterfalls. If you aren't so adventurous, drive up to Glacier Point, and along the road you can park & hike to the top of Sentinel Dome - you're already up high, so you wouldn't have much of an elevation to climb.

Sounds like a great trip you're planning.

Thanks Mary Jo!

I spent a good bit of time yesterday looking at the Redwoods in Yosemite cabins. They're all pretty nice and there seems to still be a good bit of availability left for this summer. Thanks for suggesting those. How spread out are they? Is there an area to rent in that would be more ideal than others?

I looked at Curry Village and the only availability seems to be the "tent cabins". I'm just not sure how that would work for us. I think the cabins might be a better bet for my family.

Any suggestions for Point Reyes or the Redwood Nat'l park? If we're doing Yosemite would it still be worth it to drive up to the Redwoods? Any other suggestion for Northern CA?

Thanks.
Mary

We really enjoyed our stay at Lake Tahoe last summer, the lake is fascinating and we got to see snow as well :banana: But I must say Yosemite is a very very beautiful place and San Fran is our favourite city so we had a wonderful time out West.

Claire ;)

My knowledge of CA geography is quite pitiful, so please forgive me if this is completely nuts!:confused3

My DH and I have been discussing taking a family vacation out west this summer. It would be me, DH, DD9 and DD7. We are really up in the air about where to go, when to go, and how long to stay. The girls get out of school in late May and return in early August, so we were leaning toward sometime in June/July... just like everybody else:rotfl: .

One of the scenarios we have been considering is flying into San Francisco, spending a few days there, visiting Point Reyes Nat'l Seashore, Redwood Nat'l Park and Yosemite (not necessarilly in that order). Is this doable? We would probably have about 10 days. At this point, we are flexible in number of days and when during the summer we would travel.

How many days would you suggest staying at Yosemite? I've checked availability, and there seems to be very limited accommodations still available, though our dates are pretty flexible. Tenaya Lodge seemed to have the most open availability. Is that a good place to stay?

Thanks.
Mary

PS- DH laughed uncontrollably when I told him that the DIS had a board dedicated to CA vacations. He then asked if there was anything I couldn't find out on the DIS!!!!:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

please dont forget Carmel/Monterey and lake tahoe!!!

Just remember that if you book the redwoods or Tenaya Lodge you are not booking a place in the valley floor. This means that you will have to drive into the valley to see the sights. And in the summer (their peak season) this can include traffic (yes traffic for a parking spot, to get to specific locations such as Bridelveil falls as parking is limited), whihc means extra time to getplaces. The Curry Village tent cabins aren't bad. They are rustic but aren't a bad deal. So you share a shower house but no biggie, they are clean and showers plentiful. Plus you are at the base of Glacier Point and therefore in the midst of the valley floor. Yosemite has to be my favorite place in the world, blastimy I know on a Disney board, but it's just so beautiful.

The Redwoods are a few hours south of Yosemite. Check maps to be sure of what you wnat to go and what you want to see. The northern gate to Yosemite from SF is about 5 hours (more if you hit traffic). If you plan to hit mutliple National Parks buy the National Park pass as it's not abad deal as you'll be spending $20 to eanter both Yosmeite and Redwoods, don't knoe the price for Pt. Reyes.

Thanks.
Mary

If you tell me how many days you want to spend, I will give you an intinerary. I do this all the time for friends and family from the East Coast and Europe. Just remember that distances in California are much greater than on the East Coast. Also, if you are traveling in June or July, you are going to need reservations where ever you go because it will be high season in California and lots of tourists will be wanting to the same things you are planning on doing.

If you pm me or post here, I will be happy to help. I am a third generation native Californian and my GK's are fifth generation natives.

:surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter