Sewing Machine for Beginners

Kestryl

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have a sewing machine they would recommend for beginners? I’ve used a few before (namely my Mom’s Singer from the 70s- yes, it still works!), so I’m not completely brand new.

I mostly want to start out with hemming pants and curtains and making decorative pillow covers- just basic items. Also for small fixes and rips, which I’ve hand-sewed in the past. Eventually I want to be able to make t-shirt quilts and maybe try my hand at actual clothing, but of course I need to start somewhere!

I have a Brother that is really easy to use for me. I've done a few projects but I still consider myself on the beginner end of the scale. It's got a lot of built in stitch choices and button holes are really easy.
Mine is a little older, but it looks like the current equivalent is the
CE7070PRW

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/CE7070PRW

First, congratulations on starting this wonderful hobby:)
I always hated sewing in home ec class while in high school, and decided in my 30's to give making a quilt a try.
I made the mistake of buying an old mechanical machine from a yard sale. It did an awful job and my first quilt is the proof of that.
Then I bought a new mechanical machine at Joanne's. It was a step up from my yard sale one:) I made all sorts of items with it.
Then I really got into quilting and garment making and moved up to my Elna sewing machine. It has all the bells and whistles that I need. It is not an embroidery machine, because I'm not interested in embroidery. Most of my sewing friends have bought fancy machines with embroidery components.
I have traveled, over a span of years, through the first bad machine up to what I have now. I love this machine and it will be the only one I ever buy again.
Just telling you all this to show that most evolve from basic to as expensive as we can afford and to what we are really interested in.
I guess I would suggest a basic machine, and go from there. You might find that you don't like to sew that much, and you won't be out thousands of dollars that way. I also suggest you go to a sewing machine shop where the owner can show you all the machines, demonstrate them, and answer all your questions. They also do maintenance on them and are there for you if you have any problems or need advice. Ask me how I know LOL.
Hope this helps, and happy sewing.

Thank you both for the recommendations! I’m excited to start this new hobby.

I went to a shop that sells sewing machines, but the cheapest they carried was still over $1000. Yikes. Apparently they specialize in machines with embroidery- which is super cool, but I really just want to make straight lines for now! So my search continues. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!