Sewer hose questions

mainecamper

Earning My Ears
We have never camped where there is sewer available on site and I am wondering if we need something special? Does it need to be a certain length and does it need to attach to the source? All we've ever had to have is a hose to empty the tanks! Any help would be welcome! Nance:rolleyes:

with the sewer hose you only need one long enough to reach the sewer drain .Most come in 10 ft lengths and are found in any camping/RV section. The only adapter would be one thats fits the hole.that attaches to your hose. You could just place the hose in the sewer hole too. We have done both. The sewer is located usually on the same side of your trailer's sewer hook up.
I hope this helps.

what type of camper so you have? Pop up, Trailer ?? as mentioned hoses come in 10 foot length usually although 20 foot is available, some have 2 10 foot hoses just in case you need the extra length. while your hose is connected keep the blank tank valve closed and only empty when full or leaving, some leave the grey tank valve open, although it would be good to keep it closed some time before emptying the black tank that way the grey water will aid in rinsing the hose out.

RV Water Systems

You may want to buy an elbow attachment for the end of your hose so it fits right into the sewer dump hole without crimping your drainage hose.

Another item I'm glad I bought was a clear dog-leg shaped attachment that you put at your hose connection port on your camper. This clear section will also have a anti-backflow valve you can attach to it to clean your tanks out with. You attach the little anti-flowback valve to it. Then attach a garden hose to the faucet at one end & the valve at the the other (on the anti-flowback valve) & turn on the water. It will flush out your tanks & make cleaning them a breaze!

I strongly suggest you buy these things at a Wal Mart type store as they are MUCH cheaper than the camper supply stores. I now buy all my supplies I can there. The price difference is phenominal! Especially on your chemicals & RV antifreeze. Granted some things you cannot get there, but if you get to a Super store you will find all sorts of necessary do-dads & most of what you need. If I can get them in Montana I think you'd be able to get them anywhere! ;) Oh...& I don't work at a Wal Mart LOL! Just in case you were wondering.

Happy Camping!

:wave:

I have a popup camper and I just use a regular hose (similar to a garden hose) that attaches to my blue tote. I won't be using the blue tote, but using a site with sewage. Can I just take the hose and put it in the drain sink that is next to the sewage hole? Or does it have to go into the sewage hole with a special connector?

You have to drain it into the sewer hole. You can pick up an adapter at your local Wal Mart for about $5. You probably all ready have the elbow at the end of the hose. What you need is the piece that the elbow plugs into & that in turn plugs into the sewer hole. It's larger on the top (about 4 inches in diameter) & has a narrower 3 to 4 inch length of pipe on the bottom. If the site has one of those heavy metal caps you can do without the attachment since the heavy metal cap will hold it in place. But FW has plastic caps & they aren't heavy enough to hold it in place. Even if you just have gray water to drain, it must go into the sewer hole. It's against the law in most states to dump it directly on the ground or into a storm drain.

Happy camping!

I know in the past, we just let the hose drain into the drain sink that was in/next to the sewage hole at FW.
Shoot, now I have to go & buy an adapter for my "garden" hose so to speak to drain into the sewage hole.

You do not need anything special. You can put your garden hose in the sink that the sewer pipe comes through. Both the sink drain and the sewer drain go into the sewer. You will just want to be sure you hose stays in the sink. I kind of coil the end around in the sink to hold it in place. Disney is the only place I have seen this kind of setup. It works very well. The sewer drain pipe actually comes right through a S.S. sink on a concrete pad at ground level. I think the main purpose for it is to catch any spill from a black water hose while connecting or disconnecting to the main sewer pipe. The sink drain has a j trap to block sewer gas so you don't have a problem with gas. You can dump waste water right into the sink and it will drain into the sewer. If you were hooking up a black water hose then you would want a special seal for the hose.

Oops...I read it to fast thinking you would be using a regular sewage drainage hose. You need the adaptor for the big hose...not a garden hose. Sorry bout that!

YEA!!! That's what I have done in the past, kinda coiled it around the drain sink.
Good, I'm glad to know that I won't have to buy anything special! :)
I appreciate all your help! Thanks everyone! :Pinkbounc

Your small hose going to the drain sink should be OK because the drain sink has it's own trap.

However, keep in mind, that Florida law requires an airtight adapter whenever hooking to the main sewer connection. Basically it's a large rubber ring that's cone shaped and fits around the outside of your 3" Sewer hose and then fits inside the sewer connection to form a tight seal. It is illegal in Florida to simply put your 3" sewer hose directly into the sewer connection drain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter