Seven month Snowbird Sabbatical

szymcl

Mouseketeer
Snowbird Sabbatical

Hello! Here is the start of my retirement experiment. I am in my fifties and work full time. Retirement may be a few years away, but I have listened to some sage advice of friends and family and have gleaned that a successful retirement needs a plan.

After a few crazy busy years of family weddings, baby showers, work projects, illnesses and my own surgery (I donated one of my kidneys to a friend) I am ready to ease on, out, toward, a retirement plan that is hopefully heavy on fitness, friends and fulfillment! I like alliteration…

So, to make a long story short, I am renting an apartment for 7 months (at least) in the Lake Buena Vista area to avoid the 2018-19 winter doldrums. I find at my age, every winter is a little harder recover from. I am a fair weather person, and I tend to hibernate in the winter, and even though I try to stay faithful to the gym, it is just too easy to fall into a bad habit of putting my pajamas on at 6:30 pm December-March! And who wouldn’t want to see this more often?

Cfkj36jE5FoIoZST2ldtYL8avO1deIsLAAonMD4FSCISBN1zQ9w3LFRxXoTzHg1NzDygOKQA2f4Q1l_3mPx32jn2lTcOwfKuCB0gcdMOB13QeSyiXk-kzykf77w6SMbUViWZKW0R

I have a bit of a history with a certain apartment complex in the 34787 zip code, as my daughter lived in Orlando from 2012-2015 working for Walt Disney World. I spent quite a bit of time there so it seems like home to me, and frankly, I just want to get the whole central Florida thing out of my system! This sabbatical experiment will either make me sick of the tourists and the heat or it will set me up for a nice routine of springs and summers in Indiana followed by falls and winters in Florida. So, fingers crossed that my apartment is available when I want it!

When I came up with my plan, I thought I would cut back to a part time schedule for the 7 months, but I have been given approval for working remotely for this period. Since I am involved in several community groups and committees as well, I will be commuting from Florida to Indiana. My plan is to spend the last two weeks of each month in Indiana, as that is when most of my meetings tend to fall. I wonder if you can take a computer into the Animal Kingdom, I have vision of myself processing payroll in Pandora?

Nc42d7SwFxkXBy4Gy1UXY9p7yJo_bjoBlEU5gIIIsmXG8KrUjYoigElFekjjDtIRZY3FCzmIP82rCOxYKCY5bZic2rXoK6lRmb4hMWDMy_JY7rMYA2-bNnJYNfZcxB7RCaATFFh3
Dare I hope there are more Dapper Days with my daughter in my future? (My daughter and me at the Dapper Day, April 30, on our way from Poly to Epcot.)

1. Does anyone else LOVE seeing this finally after hours of driving?

Y2eZmQQmA1i99aQO9fyNUsAvZiUNizLMtVsmtr1e9DyKHKtUv83_8pM1b4YA6n5u0wbQ9hbmMnenJCYaLPfAlljwOOkBH01p_E4E4tjxvxAERNRHX4tzqiHvCVm-Tgx644vBHQlg

I had confirmation from my daughter that she had checked in to Saratoga Springs. She is the daughter who moved to Florida after graduating from college and worked at Disney for 3 years. She got married last year and moved to Maryland, where her husband works. She has had a tough year since the wedding, as her husband was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease after a long bout of “what is wrong with me!” He ended up in the hospital for a month, emergency surgery to remove a lot of his colon and being very seriously ill. He is doing much better but facing more surgery in the future.

Anyway, she flew down, took Magical Express and was now roaming around Disney Springs. We had a room in Congress Park, and even though the Front Desk Cast Member gave her detailed instructions about how to get to the room, she did have a hard time finding it, walking and wheeling luggage!

Best thing about the Saratoga stay was...

Y1Y6hBobMF2WTRltnTSeWAXIK9jXcmEIPNNsGFRkq5zml3SCmUUz27n5zyCMg0cp-ltfkYYHXFpbM6qbNDijcgRYK4-SCfDwEio0Fs4EKzUCrltOMsd2hWoVFfQwn6c75gsoHYx2

SUNRISE YOGA

This was my first time, and we got to watch the sunrise

_9wk4wV1Jn3DZHScj3jYNIMcgMIIXJBc5qVS4kN4dxhpcTTbl4as6TonZNQPcZ_0cwNbSp4YirOlEXqJdiM0xW6_JGeht6dWy_qURLN8To2ksiO0org0Jq1oKwFOb1aDUzdXR0y6

WtzCC_YKqy6VPuC7pubggmYL3foE0gswqRWMTaIZQHP-uYj7VMpI0nbAwDthGJr8FE23v4S4WkdJdAFsMXuvSXAhMvK-K3N87ReWwR16UEo88KwUV82dWDfycoPDLjUhuOUgQ4Iq

iisoJBSq2Aj05PSTEaW6vK7hgO-pmsK18b5co-9voldT8f9inIaJjNsKKtCftqn29VHrrtJLsFIpw6DzjPo69G5uz2nqITRe3gMv9I-sZqgO_xlGy2GJB0aBHPT2VlIWDnDJu-4Z

9ks4mt4eCOp2HdmZJ15g77PzBhr3fo2dYoLg1tqOkW4mJ6Xs_onTer6laf4iGIHeO-R1KzWUdu0W40d8ESXdrQZaMZxURbN4D5X24tV32FWB4CF_WvlyHh1YiAmvgWV39kaz_Jmv

It was a 30 minute session, attended by about 20 people. We had not signed up, just walked up at about 6:45. Mats were provided, along with little towels and water. Very nice!

We also spent some time at Disney Springs, found the top floor of the Coca Cola building and found this flight, cubre libre, white russian, jack and coke and something else with orange mango juice...it’s a fun view from up there!

YnkTHdG-B42-A0lQgYbR3yNeciuWYPb8_LZHAmASrnKUSTKKQWQmN8K4wgZg0Au5RwSOu1c6Z_GU-eB-6-8v3TqduvmS6zJOxh_Hini-y-PvFKxvP0MApFl6gV_ygM8a22z-9WG6

szymcl, 1 minute agoEditReport
    #7+ QuoteReply

I returned to FL about a week ago after returning north to work in my real office for a few weeks. I was able to catch a ride with 2 cousins, one age 94 and the other around my age. It was so fun to catch up with them! We talked the whole way.

The alarm went off in our Macon hotel But, they never stop at the Florida Welcome Center???!!!!

Well, I convinced them there was always a first time!
5Ic5FOwhNo06vJtP5dLWnukyl3GEOFBnskZeZKgw6S1KsuVw7DjIFTD-PYwX1_zO04xphsjmCDj8USM7iUCTPdeSSlKzNMBEQGgF7HG89ZXy7sla2vj_kWLL-MyUp5Nc2PBePwEg

I had another cousin come stay with me a while, so I am have definitely not been lonely.

Decorating is still going on, still within my budget of $1000, thinking I might get some more beds, since I seem to have company often! This is thrift store meets plastic walmart 4 drawer cabinet.

ZinICmrWgY4rnTTKvjimNl4E2MlJS_2ifnsxeYOl0ZDpfxN7CgcGr2YX6qpakgDd_NaLdcumqeL-JkkkRw4jj-KFzX0Y77RCkufZodQ-E_l12OqnnEwg-ziEF62L7od7GsYoeuON

Now I have a date with Dole Whip!
9lGZmrRVY9vr3ePFX1BAFT1xzhtsFNPD4k0Qn2cs-Y7Y8KUokfYjyud8NEVwh2fFkz0Lakl67ja-ex5x2eSQyQ4_dDFjuwZyRdI9PpbZa_oZMZ6QxvJbpMDdxQ6PJsw88iFUNhxm

hcP5V0AmUnqM5YUY_pxavtH0-7hJucNo0_W1mTSz0NG8AsFhOsZ0oEJpXGEw17X3YKV6RRj5IgRG5hg9cYLYoQVA3gmm3Wj9sSP5aHvmcQ1NJ5n2lteTvXhuOhtsvlkl4iPTn4Ld

I have an annual pass (free parking) so after my cousin left and I finished my work for the day, I parked in the Magic Kingdom lot, rode the parking lot trolley and strolled over to Polynesian to soak up the atmosphere, grab a dole whip and walk the grounds to Grand Floridian and back. I thought about running into the Magic Kingdom but it was closing early for the Halloween party, and besides, I don’t have to do it all in one day anymore!

bB8zbdacOFxBMHLS3_064t5BpRSSp1Z2ufxxUf2GTBvYb3WpNB7KKPgsmRtPc62-XZz9aQ5QFdrXKQY43i70bsFBJRuxgZQ41W2GHGbqz7pH09O4MlC4-sZ6D_lxCsbuJsPMAh3E

Snowbird Sabbatical

Hello! Here is the start of my retirement experiment. I am in my fifties and work full time. Retirement may be a few years away, but I have listened to some sage advice of friends and family and have gleaned that a successful retirement needs a plan.

After a few crazy busy years of family weddings, baby showers, work projects, illnesses and my own surgery (I donated one of my kidneys to a friend) I am ready to ease on, out, toward, a retirement plan that is hopefully heavy on fitness, friends and fulfillment! I like alliteration…

So, to make a long story short, I am renting an apartment for 7 months (at least) in the Lake Buena Vista area to avoid the 2018-19 winter doldrums. I find at my age, every winter is a little harder recover from. I am a fair weather person, and I tend to hibernate in the winter, and even though I try to stay faithful to the gym, it is just too easy to fall into a bad habit of putting my pajamas on at 6:30 pm December-March! And who wouldn’t want to see this more often?

Cfkj36jE5FoIoZST2ldtYL8avO1deIsLAAonMD4FSCISBN1zQ9w3LFRxXoTzHg1NzDygOKQA2f4Q1l_3mPx32jn2lTcOwfKuCB0gcdMOB13QeSyiXk-kzykf77w6SMbUViWZKW0R

I have a bit of a history with a certain apartment complex in the 34787 zip code, as my daughter lived in Orlando from 2012-2015 working for Walt Disney World. I spent quite a bit of time there so it seems like home to me, and frankly, I just want to get the whole central Florida thing out of my system! This sabbatical experiment will either make me sick of the tourists and the heat or it will set me up for a nice routine of springs and summers in Indiana followed by falls and winters in Florida. So, fingers crossed that my apartment is available when I want it!

When I came up with my plan, I thought I would cut back to a part time schedule for the 7 months, but I have been given approval for working remotely for this period. Since I am involved in several community groups and committees as well, I will be commuting from Florida to Indiana. My plan is to spend the last two weeks of each month in Indiana, as that is when most of my meetings tend to fall. I wonder if you can take a computer into the Animal Kingdom, I have vision of myself processing payroll in Pandora?

Nc42d7SwFxkXBy4Gy1UXY9p7yJo_bjoBlEU5gIIIsmXG8KrUjYoigElFekjjDtIRZY3FCzmIP82rCOxYKCY5bZic2rXoK6lRmb4hMWDMy_JY7rMYA2-bNnJYNfZcxB7RCaATFFh3
Dare I hope there are more Dapper Days with my daughter in my future? (My daughter and me at the Dapper Day, April 30, on our way from Poly to Epcot.)
Would you mind sharing the name of the apartment complex? We're thinking of renting for a while as we search areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!