Settle a disagreement about TOT

That back row center seat is the best spot in the elevator. You really get a feeling of free falling from that spot. I do not use the handles so whoever sits next to me can have them. I find the ride is so much easier on the body if you relax and let your body move with the ride. My boyfriend used to brace himself and grip the handles and always talked about how much the ride bothered his back. Once he learned to relax and let his body move with the ride, it no longer caused any discomfort for him.

To my knowledge, there has never been a lap bar for that ride. I've only ever experienced the seatbelts (been riding since about 1996 I think).

There were definitely lap bars for many years, I preferred it that way. Googling tells me they changed over to seatbelts somewhere around '02-'04. Only the back middle seat has always had a seatbelt.

The air time is the best part of the ride lol. I haven't ever looked for handles, nor will I be using them (now that I know they are there). TOT is pretty much my favourite ride.

There were definitely lap bars for many years, I preferred it that way. Googling tells me they changed over to seatbelts somewhere around '02-'04. Only the back middle seat has always had a seatbelt.

Oh, makes sense why I haven't ever seen it then. I never rode this until it opened in California and it never had a lapbar there.

Interesting. I know that I rode Tower of Terror in the 90s, but I really do not remember it using lap bars for the restraint. Based on what I looked up, I'm sure I rode it when it had them, but I can't remember that detail.

I distinctly remember riding it as our first ride during EMH on our first day of our first WDW trip in October 1997. My sister and I were 12 and flew up until we hit the lap bar resting against our 6' tall father's legs. LOVED THAT PART! I'd been terrified to ride and completely fell in love with it. It was a family tradition to try and make it our first ride of the trip on many subsequent trips and when my husband and I traveled to WDW for his first time for our wedding in 2015 I made sure it was his first WDW ride too. We even booked a private ride on it as part of our wedding with all of our guests.

Note if you have something hanging around your neck like a camera, fan or other bulky item .... it might smack you in the face so I would take it off.

I’ve had light things float (lanyard) and heavy things float (rundisney medal from 2013 TOT 10 miler), but nothing has ever come even close to hitting my face. It goes up in front of me, it goes gently down.

I’ve had light things float (lanyard) and heavy things float (rundisney medal from 2013 TOT 10 miler), but nothing has ever come even close to hitting my face. It goes up in front of me, it goes gently down.

I did say might. It hasn't impacted you. It has impacted my family.

I didn't make it up and I have had it happen and I've seen it happen to others, so why take the chance?

I think each ride is different in terms of how many drops and how far you drop so the weightlessness can vary. How you sit; lean back or forward or possibly even your height could impact where things on your neck go when they float up. I've seen backpacks lift up and they aren't light. Folks do what they want, just making a suggestion based on personal experience and observation.

Funny that I don't remember the lap bar but the photo is very clear. Last December our friend was wearing a Mickey Santa Claus hat and was sitting in front of me. Every time we dropped the point of her hat went straight up. Sadly, the photos do not reflect that. It obviously takes it just at a pause.

I hold on to the handles and whoever may be unlucky enough to be seated beside me - whether I know them or not. It's an involuntary reaction. I just start grabbing things!

I hold on to the handles and whoever may be unlucky enough to be seated beside me - whether I know them or not. It's an involuntary reaction. I just start grabbing things!

This happened to me on my trip last September. The guy next to me grabbed the handle between our seats, plus the hem of my shorts, and had a death grip on them the whole ride! I thought he was going to rip the leg of my shorts he was holding on so tight! :)

Note if you have something hanging around your neck like a camera, fan or other bulky item .... it might smack you in the face so I would take it off.

I took a popcorn bucket on once and the lid came off and popcorn went flying! I felt so bad at the time, but it is funny now.

Last trip I once rode TOT while wearing my Fozzie-backpack at my front - on the ride-photo you could not see my head as Fozzie bounced in front of it... 😂

I love putting my arms up to get airtime! The back row is the best, you don't have to worry about blocking anyone. One time there was a woman in front of me, I was in the second row, she put her glasses in her shirt (one side) and they were floating in front of her! When it ended, they were on the other side of the car. I asked her if she could see them floating, she said no, her eyes were closed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter