Setting up Camp in the dark

Discussion in 'Camping at Disney World' started by nickcapp, Jan 7, 2018.

1. nickcapp

nickcapp Mouseketeer

Hello all.

I am taking a 4 night tent camping trip by my lonesome while the rest of the extended family is staying over at Saratoga Springs from 1/17-1/21. My flight arrives at 6:00 PM so by the time I get over to the Fort it will be well after sun set.

I'll have the car headlights and a flashlight etc. I have no doubt that it will be enough to get my tent set up, but will it disturb the other campers? Is there any protocol or unwritten rule here? I want to be a good neighbor.

Thanks for any advice!

Nick

2. TheRustyScupper

TheRustyScupper "Grant Us Peace" (Dona Nobis Pacem)

1) Should not be a problem.
    2) If someone makes a comment, simply ask them to help you out, and save time for headlights.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

I would get a headlamp and avoid using the headlights since it may screw up your night vision. It should be more enough light.

Though I'm pretty sure you should be setup way before any "quiet hours" (if they are ever enforced) and how much setup do you have?

We also use various led lanterns that tend not to blind people around us. We used to use a propane lantern which was way too much light.

5. tiggerdad

tiggerdad I don't always get distracted but whe...SQUIRREL!

I second the LED headlamp.

The kind of hours your talking about should not be an issue to the other campers. I remember on one November trip our first nights stay was messed up when our neighbors showed up at 1AM!? Not sure how that happened but they were less than attempting to be quiet, talking loudly and tossing metal tent poles around.

As long as you're not "that guy" you should be fine.

6. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

Ah yes the clamor of metal tent poles. We had a group setup late after we had gone to bed, start a big fire, the beer then came out (actually illegal in PA state parks) followed by waves of loud laughter. Next morning I was ready to do something that would make a little noise (after "quit hours" were over which was 8:00 AM) but no they had already left for the day. :(

We camp a lot at Ohiopyle State park which is next to a section of river rapids. Lots of people come to run the rapids with tour groups and they start very early.

Not sure how this group was going to make the 6 hour (?) trip on only 3 hours of sleep. ;)

7. nickcapp

nickcapp Mouseketeer

Thanks! I think I am being overly concerned but just wanted to make sure. I will pack the headlamp and keep the head lights to a minimum. This is a minimalist trip for me. I'll just be pitching a 2-man dome tent that should be up and staked in 10 minutes; sleeping bag and air mattress.

I never want to be "that guy." Thanks again.

8. team bradfield

team bradfield happy campers

i figure it cant be any louder than the MK fireworks, you should be fine

FortForever likes this.
  9. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

Wait I think I got it. Maybe they never went to sleep or stopped drinking. And therefor not hungover. :thumbsup2

PaHunter and tiggerdad like this.
  10. FtW Mike

FtW Mike DIS Veteran

Have you considered doing a few practice runs setting the tent up. I might want to have a set routine that works well for me so I know what to do in the dark. Might also want to practice doing it in a low light environment to add a touch of realism once I have my routine down

dclpluto likes this.
  11. mickeyfan0805

mickeyfan0805 DIS Veteran

I'm another that recommends a headlamp. They are invaluable for setting up in the dark. I used mine extensively for post-sunset set-ups on our trip last fall. Not excessively priced, avoids that shadows/blinding brightness of headlights, and a lot less disturbing to neighbors.

12. Bigscout79

Bigscout79 Earning My Ears DVC Gold

Headlamps, flashlights and don't discount the good old lantern. 1. they're not typically blindingly bright 2. they light the area without shining in your eyes 3. campers expect them.

13. PaHunter

PaHunter Photographer in need of training.....

Hungover.