Service question; server burnout

rentayenta

DIS Veteran
Just wondering what impact, if any, free dining has on the level of service at WDW? Just found out it's available for Disney Visa holders over our early August dates. I am super glad we have our ADRs already.

For those that have been to WDW during free dining; have you noticed a difference in the quality of service compared to non-free dining times?

I’ve never done the dining plan (free or otherwise) but I do always chuckle at the visible relief the server almost always has when I answer “no” to the are you on the dining plan question. I don’t know that it translates into any different service, however.

I’ve never done the dining plan (free or otherwise) but I do always chuckle at the visible relief the server almost always has when I answer “no” to the are you on the dining plan question. I don’t know that it translates into any different service, however.

Thats good to hear as far as service. Do they ask at the start of the meal if you are on the dining plan?

We were there during FD many times but never partook ourselves. Service has always been top notch.

Excellent! :woohoo:

I think it comes from so many people not knowing how it works.

I've traveled with and without the plan.

Like you, I see some relief when I answer no. But I see that same relief when I say yes, but then let them know that I know how it works.

I seem to receive the same service whether I have the plan or not.

We've always been asked at each TS meal if using dining credits. While I'm sure they get annoyed having to explain it so many times each day, they also know that even though the meal is "free", when everyone orders the expensive steak on the menu, their tip just went sky high!

I was going to say something just like this! The dining plan seems like to much food to us and limiting in you are always rushing to a reservation to make sure you use all the meals. Whenever we say no dining plan the server seems to breath again.

I feel like every time I've eaten at a TS I'm asked if I'm planning on using dining credits (or something like that).

That makes sense.

Yes, sometimes at the podium, sometimes at the table, sometimes both. They also typically ask about allergies and increasingly also ask if you’ll be using any discounts (passholder etc.).

Ok, cool. We will have discounts.

We are DVC so cannot do free dining but have been during free dining times as well as normal times. Absolutely no difference in service during free dining in our experience.

:woohoo: Good news!

My sister worked as a server CM and she said she liked serving tables on the dining plan. Regardless it didn't change the level of service she gave. Also, as an ex-server here at home, typically servers prefer busy times to not busy times because their income is largely based on tips. So if it's busier because of free dining, my guess would be that the servers would be happy about that!

Disney's restaurants pretty much run at full capacity all the time, so I'm not sure how free dining would lead to server burnout because they are having full sections even when there is no free dining offered.

For those that have been to WDW during free dining; have you noticed a difference in the quality of service compared to non-free dining times?

We've seen FD take it's toll on ADR availability and quality of service because it seems to strain the system. Everyone is trying to get their money's worth, so they book a lot more TS/ADRs. Even some (but not all) of the restaurants that you could normally walk up to will be booked ahead of time. And there can be a lot slower lines for QS and snacks and people ask for all their options at each stop. In the past, we've been there as FD starts or ends and you can definitely see a change (we used to try and avoid FD time periods as a result, but it keeps growing to cover more of the year). But it';s been a couple of years for us, and FD room availability is less and less (spread out over a wider time period) as the crowds have shifted, and most of the earlier effects (more tables crammed in TS restaurants; more limited menus) are now permanent regardless of time of year.

If anything, the servers are generally more relaxed and happy when they find out they don't have to explain the DDP to you or answer a lot of questions, some of us here have noticed that OOP service is often be cheerier and/or better than for the DDP customer at the next table.

Last edited:
We've seen FD take it's toll on ADR availability and quality of service because it seems to strain the system. Everyone is trying to get their money's worth, so they book a lot more TS/ADRs. Even some (but not all) of the restaurants that you could normally walk up to will be booked ahead of time. And there can be a lot slower lines for QS and snacks and people ask for all their options at each stop. In the past, we've been there as FD starts or ends and you can definitely see a change (we used to try and avoid FD time periods as a result, but it keeps growing to cover more of the year). But it';s been a couple of years for us, and FD room availability is less and less (spread out over a wider time period) as the crowds have shifted, and most of the earlier effects (more tables crammed in TS restaurants; more limited menus) are now permanent regardless of time of year.

If anything, the servers are generally more relaxed and happy when they find out they don't have to explain the DDP to you or answer a lot of questions, some of us here have noticed that OOP service is often be cheerier and/or better than for the DDP customer at the next table.

We are there at the start of free dining; I can see how sheer volume would be a factor. I worked in food/bar service for a very long; its a viable thought. It'll be interesting. They must make a fortune! Thanks!

We never notice a difference in service. We always order liquor or wine though so the server really has no reason to think we are cheap. Now that alcohol is on the dp we will see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!