Service dogs

MeganMango

Mouseketeer
I have a service dog in training. If I bring him on my next (solo) trip, what can I expect?

I've seen the Disney link for service animals but still need clarifying.

Can service dogs ride some rides? If so which ones? Track rides like Ariel and The Haunted Mansion? Can they do character meet/greets with you? I've heard some rides have kennels for your dog while you ride, is this true?

Will I feel limited with my service dog? I would LOVE to hear from other peoples experience. Post pictures too?

Note: my disability is less physical and more for anxiety and PTSD. So I'm fine walking and don't have physical limitations.

not used a service dog personally, but I Have seen people using them..
i know for certain, they have a portable kennel on Grizzly River Run.. and Radiator Springs Racers.

Service Animals
Trained service animals are welcome in most locations throughout the Disneyland Resort. Guests who use service animals must retain control of their animals at all times and should keep them on a leash or harness while visiting.
We value all our Guests with disabilities, and we welcome service animals at most locations throughout our theme parks, Downtown Disney District and Resort hotels. At the Disneyland Resort, a service animal is defined as any dog or miniature horse trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability.

Guests who use service animals must retain control of their animals at all times and should keep them on a leash or harness while visiting.

Cast Members are not permitted to take control of service animals. Guests with service animals should follow the same attraction entrance guidelines as Guests who use wheelchairs.

Due to the nature of some attractions, service animals may not be permitted to ride. At these locations, please ask a Cast Member about available options, including Rider Switch with a member of your party or a portable kennel.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/service-animals/

My Mobility/medical alert service dog has been coming to Disney with me for almost two years now. I waited till she was about a year or so through her training to take her. Disney is a lot for a dog if they are not ready for it.
They can go on any ride that doesn't have a height requirement; toy story, haunted mansion, pirates. and any ride they can't go on they provide a crate or you can do a ride swap like with a child. They can do character meet and greets and many characters get very animated and excited to see them.
Be prepared for people to be amazed to see a dog in disney.

That's great to know. My son just got a physical disability service dog and we hope to go to MNSSHP in 2018. I had no idea that dogs could ride any rides at all.

I have a service dog in training. If I bring him on my next (solo) trip, what can I expect?

I've seen the Disney link for service animals but still need clarifying.

Can service dogs ride some rides? If so which ones? Track rides like Ariel and The Haunted Mansion? Can they do character meet/greets with you? I've heard some rides have kennels for your dog while you ride, is this true?

Will I feel limited with my service dog? I would LOVE to hear from other peoples experience. Post pictures too?

Note: my disability is less physical and more for anxiety and PTSD. So I'm fine walking and don't have physical limitations.

FYI, service dogs in training do not always have the same access as fully trained service dogs.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

See Q6.

FYI, service dogs in training do not always have the same access as fully trained service dogs.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

See Q6.

In the state of California, the California civil code allows service dogs in training the same public access rights for the purpose of training as that of a service dog (under 54.2(b) of the section of code linked below).

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ivision=1.&title=&part=2.5.&chapter=&article=

Oh, is the OP going to Disneyland? I guess I just assumed WDW, as the info in the signature made me think she went to Florida, not California.

Someone above had mentioned Disneyland and service dog access there, so I wanted to point out that California at least has state level laws protecting service dog in training public access.

I know of a group that trains service dog in the Orlando ( about once area and they go to Disney to train about once every 6-8 weeks. Not sure about the details I just know they go to train at Disney when the dogs are fairly far along in training.

One, he buggiest one of all, use mushers seeker or booties on the paws, CA and FL are very very hot and the dog will be walking 10 or 12 hours and miles a day on those paws.

Two a dog in training like the ones people say go from schools, probably spend just a few hours, just that, you will be spending many hours and you will not want to take the dog out like they will because they are there for training purpose, you are there for a vacation, so if your dog is still in training I would say don't do it, wait. If he just fininhed training wait at least 6 months.

Three, have bottled water and a bowl for dog to drink. Let dog have breaks and potty breaks every 1 1/2 hours.

Four, don't be afraid to use the kennels are the rides. Lots of people here have all these weird reasons not to use them, I have had nothing but good experience with them, except maybe it takes a lot longer to get on the ride, but my service animal has no problem going in a kennel, has no problem and actually likes the break. And they are safe and handled very professionally. The kennels are hidden from people at the rides like screaming, or soaring, tell CM you want to use kennel they will show you were to go, put dog in kennel, go on ride, pick dog up. CM will watch over dog. I have used at DL and at WDW and have no problem.

Relax, have fun and make sure dog has time to relax, they are on vacation also.

I think this is a non-issue, but while I know for a fact that Disney World allows SDiT's, you might check the state laws regarding hotels if you're going to stay in one. Although I believe Florida State law covers SDiT's anywhere a SD can go, so it's probably fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter