Service Dog Preparation

ladyjubilee

Mouseketeer
So, we are considering taking the dog when we do go next year. I keep waivering as I just don't know if the cons out weigh the pros. I worry about her feet, the noise and, if things start getting to "normal", the crowds. I know I've been stepped on, so I'd worry she'd get stepped on (she's not small, but I still worry.) I think MK would be fine, as would EP. AK concerns me-its a whole lot of park! DHS I'm not sure about. The trainer assures me she is ready, but because the parks near us are closed, we haven't been able to practice.

How have people with service dogs managed? Do people give the dog space? (I would never have expected people would step over the stroller or push it "out of the way", but its happened.) I thought of having her with us MK and EP days, then boarding the AK days. Has anyone tried this? How did it work?

At ROTR, is there a kennel? Where is the kennel in relation to the ride.

Can't really answer too much about WDW with a service dog. Although, I did ride the safari once with a guy who had a German shepherd service dog. The dog would occasionally look up at an animal, but mostly slept through the ride.

I have a friend who has a service dog to help with her MS. She and her husband love taking Hunter (her service dog) to Disneyland to practice his training. And he gets so much attention from the cast members. She says it is hard, but he has really shined there and helped her a lot there over the years.

Hi Ladyjubilee (and everyone else -- I haven't posted in a long minute!)
I've been to the parks with my service dog twice and can share a bit of info and answer other questions you may think of. (My service dog is not the tiny one in the photo!)

Regarding the dogs' feet, it's really important for the dog to wear shoes. The asphalt is super hot, there is a always a chance for a foot to be stepped on or rolled over by a stroller or ECV etc, and the walking is extensive. It will make the dog more comfortable and be vital protection from things such as those I mentioned. If you don't have shoes for your dogs, one company I love is Neopaws -- one reason is that they are orthopedic shoes that stay on really well and they have a very thick rubber sole so that even Florida asphalt heat can't get through!

My SD did great in AK, but as you may be aware there are some wild type animals on display and you need to know that she'll be okay with seeing those animals without reactivity. Not usually a problem with an SD, but something to consider.

I have not been after 2018 so I do not have experience with ROTR unfortunately. But most rides with a height minimum, (including Galaxy's Edge rides from what I've heard) have a crate near boarding so that you can ride knowing she is safe with a cast member (they stay next to the crate and keep them company) until the ride is over.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any other questions, just ask, and I'll do my best to help you out!

Have fun!

I raise puppies for a service dog organization and I am in and out of Disney all of the time with them. I'm local so it's easy and my pups love the parks more than I do, I think!

For paws, depending on the time of year will be what you need to do to protect them. The hottest weeks of the year I would definitely suggest boots (I use Ruffwear) of some kind. The hot days, but not super hot days can be a toss up between using the boots (if your dog is comfortable with them) or using a paw wax. I use Musher's Secret and my dogs prefer to not be in boots.

We also are never really in the parks during the hotter times of the day so this helps with keeping your dog healthy. I'd suggest a break either back to the hotel or schedule a late lunch at a table service venue. A restaurant will guarantee you at least an hour or so out of the sun and heat. There are also a few rides left that will give you a long period of time indoors (Carousel of Progress, Frozen show, etc). I use them all the time for nice breaks throughout the day.

When it comes to being "stepped on" or jostled by others, we always walk with the dog in between people as an added buffer. If you have a group of people, even better. Surround the dog while walking. This has the added benefit of stopping the "drive-by" petting that happens way more than I would like!

Almost every thrill ride has a kennel situated in an area that is usually away from the ride. A Cast Member will stay with your dog while you ride. There is a list on Disney's website under Service Dogs that lists which rides dogs can go on, which ones they suggest using with caution, and which ones are perfectly safe.

Animal Kingdom is perfectly fine with a Service Dog. Yes, there is a lot of walking, but that's the same in any park. The Safari will have you riding in the wheelchair Jeep. Cast Members will use a leash tether to make sure that the dogs don't jump out. My dogs usually sleep during the safari, but every now and then something will catch their interest. The animals are also very interested in your dog. The gorillas loved seeing my last puppy and would come say hello. It was adorable.

Please feel free to reach out to me for advice and tips. I have lots!

we have a friend that has a service dog and have gone several times with them, so here are some things to be aware of:
  • On hot days, make sure you protect their feet
  • You should avoid moving walkways, Peter Pan will have a crate available
  • There will be crates at all rides with height requirements; however, it is up to you to determine if you feel safe with leaving the service animal in a crate or would prefer to use rider swap.
  • On really hot days, she has a cooling vest for him that works on a similar concept as a swamp cooler
  • It is a lot of waling, so much like you should be prepared for that, prepare the service animal as well by training
  • every service dog seems to end up having a favorite ride, so don't be surprised if you end up having to ride a particular ride multiple times just because they want to go. For our friend's dog, it is Haunted Mansion, sadly he is pretty much at the point of retiring and since Disneyland is our home park, there is very much a real possibility he won't get to do it again, although if at all possible she will take him one last time so he can ride it and yes, he loves it that much, you should see him when it is down for any reason. I know it sounds odd, but really it is something to be aware of.
  • Similarly, they may have attractions they really don't care for, if at all possible ask if you can do a rider swap if this occurs, less stress for them is always better. For our friends service animal, it is Pirates, but our friend doesn't care much for it either due to their issues, but would occasionally ride it if everyone else wanted to, so not a big deal.
  • As for not getting stepped on, from what I understand, she can count on one hand the number of times he has been stepped on and that includes going to Disneyland near weekly.
  • Some service dogs have issues with some of the louder shows and fireworks, something like Mutt Muffs may be beneficial. Some dogs don't mind and some take issues with the vibration from music from some of the live performances.
  • As for Animal Kingdom, there are several unique things to be aware of (much of which applies to all zoos):
    • You should check with guest relations to see if there are any "sensitive areas" that you shouldn't go or linger in. This can be when they are introducing animals to a new habitat, they just had babies, etc.
    • If any animal is getting stressed out by your service dog or your service dog is getting stressed out, you should immediately remove them from that area. This can get tricky to determine, as sometimes the animals are just curious, but pay attention and you can usually figure it out.
    • Generally service animals should not be taken into any aviaries, unless specifically advised otherwise.
    • They usually ask you not to linger near the flamingos

I don't have any advice, but I'm just glad that you asked what's best for your dog :) I've seen so many service dogs not cared for properly, or maybe not trained properly and stressed out because of it. While a service dog is a wonderful helper, it is also a living creature and shouldn't be treated like a tool. Thank you again, for considering whether it's a good place for your SD, if having the SD there helps enough to make it important to bring her along, and how she will be able to be safe and secure there as well. I hope you have a great trip!

From my experience, all of this is great advice -- but I wanted to second the cooling coat. Both shoes and cooling coats go a very long way on hot days and can save your service dog discomfort or even something like heat stroke in a worst case scenario situation. I also agree, it seems unusual for the dog to literally be stepped on while going about your day (mine never was) but shoes can still serve as protection from any sort of unexpected situation like that, or even something sharp or caustic on the ground. But primarily they're useful for hot blacktop. Just keep your eyes open to your SD's needs. You know how stoic they can be -- it's easy to miss something that could be bothering them. Take care!

we have a friend that has a service dog and have gone several times with them, so here are some things to be aware of:
  • On hot days, make sure you protect their feet
  • You should avoid moving walkways, Peter Pan will have a crate available
  • There will be crates at all rides with height requirements; however, it is up to you to determine if you feel safe with leaving the service animal in a crate or would prefer to use rider swap.
  • On really hot days, she has a cooling vest for him that works on a similar concept as a swamp cooler
  • It is a lot of waling, so much like you should be prepared for that, prepare the service animal as well by training
  • every service dog seems to end up having a favorite ride, so don't be surprised if you end up having to ride a particular ride multiple times just because they want to go. For our friend's dog, it is Haunted Mansion, sadly he is pretty much at the point of retiring and since Disneyland is our home park, there is very much a real possibility he won't get to do it again, although if at all possible she will take him one last time so he can ride it and yes, he loves it that much, you should see him when it is down for any reason. I know it sounds odd, but really it is something to be aware of.
  • Similarly, they may have attractions they really don't care for, if at all possible ask if you can do a rider swap if this occurs, less stress for them is always better. For our friends service animal, it is Pirates, but our friend doesn't care much for it either due to their issues, but would occasionally ride it if everyone else wanted to, so not a big deal.
  • As for not getting stepped on, from what I understand, she can count on one hand the number of times he has been stepped on and that includes going to Disneyland near weekly.
  • Some service dogs have issues with some of the louder shows and fireworks, something like Mutt Muffs may be beneficial. Some dogs don't mind and some take issues with the vibration from music from some of the live performances.
  • As for Animal Kingdom, there are several unique things to be aware of (much of which applies to all zoos):
    • You should check with guest relations to see if there are any "sensitive areas" that you shouldn't go or linger in. This can be when they are introducing animals to a new habitat, they just had babies, etc.
    • If any animal is getting stressed out by your service dog or your service dog is getting stressed out, you should immediately remove them from that area. This can get tricky to determine, as sometimes the animals are just curious, but pay attention and you can usually figure it out.
    • Generally service animals should not be taken into any aviaries, unless specifically advised otherwise.
    • They usually ask you not to linger near the flamingos
That is funny because my service dog love Haunted Mansion and also hates Pirates. Maybe a smell or feel or something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter