• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Servers wages

Desertbloom, please say you were only joking about people leaving you a bible as a tip!

It happens, been there had it happen to me. Usually on a Sunday.

I waitressed at 3 large chain restaurants (In California and Oregon- maybe the laws are different in these states) between 1992-1995; I do not recall getting less than minimum wage as a base salary...I feel like it was that standard $5 an hour or whatever it was at the time. We were required to report 8% of our tips for tax purposes. Luckily 2 of the 3 restaurants I worked at had clientele who for the most part knew how to tip. The third restaurant though........geez...........a 15% tip was a miracle...20% almost unheard of...and unfortunately, I have to agree with the poster who said something about getting a Bible or biblical literature as a tip. I don't think I ever received that, but I often worked Sunday nights and every Sunday night this church group (10-15 people) would come in maybe 15-20 minutes before closing. They would work us to the bone getting drink and french fry refills (this restaurant had complimentary fry refills), lecture us about working on a Sunday, run up a $100+ tab of burgers and colas and leave $2-3 as a tip. It was nauseating. Finally, the manager at the time told the group, you must call ahead before coming, and you will automatically be billed the 15% tip. They stopped coming for awhile. I was happy my manager stood up to them. I am a church going gal and was appalled by their treatment of other people.

I worked at a Nice Fish and chips / seafood restaurant in the 70's. The Bible verse or pamphlet in lieu of a tip was pretty common especially on Sundays.
I worked as a backup to the wait staff running coffee and rolls etc, the waitstaff usually offered some small $3-$5 token to us on a busy night (this was the 70's and $5 went a long way for a 16y/o kid). One of the waitresses who would have a fit if she got the bible verse tip, used to do the same thing me if I got stuck with her on a busy night. Quite the hypocrite.

Well, it is nice to see I am not the only one getting Bible tips. I was starting to think I must really look like I need help...LOL.

Originally posted by desertbloom
Well, it is nice to see I am not the only one getting Bible tips. I was starting to think I must really look like I need help...LOL.

Nah, I've gotten them too! I've even received poems.

I wonder how many customers reading this board are as shocked as I am that folks actually have the nerve to leave religious literature or Bibles as a tip :eek:

That is something I never would have imagined. Well meaning or not, those folks should be ashamed of themselves.

Once, when I was a poor college student and dining with other poor college students, we came up short on the tip (before anyone accuses me of anything, I had enough for my burger and tip, but some people only had enough cash for their meal). I rummaged through my purse and left a book of stamps (plus the little cash we did have). At least it had monetary value, and not simply spiritual value.

My fiance is a server at IHOP, and they make her claim a flat rate of 10% of her sales, as income. I suppose they figure people will tip at least 10%. She usually makes out for the good though, people are generally more generous. :earsboy: :earsboy:

I don't think its that people are more generous but the fact that everyone is told 15% is the minimum for normal service. 10% for bad, 20% for excellent.

I can only go by guidelines like this as we do not tip well in our country generally and so I need to follow guidance of expectations when away.

Minnster.......you said it all!!! Thanks from your Dis pal and co-worker! ;)

Originally posted by Chuck S
I wonder how many customers reading this board are as shocked as I am that folks actually have the nerve to leave religious literature or Bibles as a tip :eek:

You can count me in as shocked & annoyed!!

We dine out about one day a week. We always leave 20% tip and make sure our three kids say "please" and "thank you" to our waiter.

I had a friend who while waitressing in College had a family who left her pictures there children had drawn on the back of the placemats as her "tip". They left a note saying " please accept these drawings as our tip." While she appreciated the cuteness of the pictures she was not overly impreessed, considering she had split meals brought extra plates, cups and cleaned up a big mess!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter