Serious Disappointment at Toledo

LNMom

Mouseketeer
My family was thrilled to try Toledo during our recent stay at Gran Destino Tower. We booked club level at Gran Destino with the plan to have breakfast and "dinner" at Chronos Club (the club-level lounge), and a heavy lunch out at our favorite restaurants (Sanaa and Jaleo). The only exception was for the final night of our trip (and my birthday) when I made a reservation for Toledo. I was looking forward to the beautiful new dining room and the Spanish-inspired menu. My family was just in Barcelona this June and we were interested in the translation imagineers developed at Gran Destino Tower.

The food and cocktails were delicious. We ordered a variety of tapas: Valdeon blue cheese, stuffed piquillo peppers, charred octopus over lentils (the octopus was a bit chewy, but the lentils were delicious, romaine salad, patatas braves, Mediterranean broccolini, and an Espumoso Punch. My children enjoyed the BAM burger and the shrimp. Our waiter, Mounir, was attentive and knowledgeable.

We arrived a few moments early and were told that our table was not ready, so I gave my phone number to receive a text when the table was available (which came through at 8:43 a.m. the next day??). My husband heard our name being called and we were quickly whisked past tables in a 1/2 to 2/3 full main dining room to an event room (standard, non-descript hotel event room) adjoining the main dining room. My family of 5 (2 adults, 2 kids, and a toddler) were seated at a 4-top next to the window. There were two other 4-tops seated as well as a party of 14. A large TV was on the wall with the standard homepage for the resort on indicating that this is clearly an event space. I was disappointed to not be seated in the main dining room, but assumed that it was full and I just hadn't made reservations in time so we got put in an overflow room.

After a couple trips to the bathroom during our meal and seeing that there were plenty of 6-tops and 2 and 4 tops that could have easily been converted to accommodate my family, I became incensed that we were seated in an event room. And there were numerous families with small children scattered at tables throughout the main dining room, so there wasn't an intent on managements part to keep children corralled in one area. The photo included was taken one hour after we were seated, the dining room was just as empty when we were seated. There are clearly a multitude of available tables options.

While taking my son to the bathroom, my husband mentioned to the hostess that his wife was deeply disappointed with where we were seated. The manager quickly came to our table with a complimentary dessert. I told her I would find her after our meal was over to convey my concerns. By this time, another family of four was seated in the increasingly loud event space which left me to wonder why this area was used when there were plenty of tables in the main dining room.

With the meal finished, my husband took the children to our room. I spoke to the manager sharing my disappointment, "I chose to dine at Toledo for the menu and the atmosphere, not a generic event room that can be found in any hotel in the U.S." I never requested a specific table, such as fireworks view. The manager told me that if I was unhappy, then I should have said something sooner. I responded that I assumed the restaurant was fully booked, only to discover that it was not when we moved through the dining room to go to the bathroom. She told me:
-the event room is part of the bookable seating area, along with the main dining room;
-customers need to be evenly distributed among servers;
-many customers want a fireworks view so the restaurant seats people near the windows;
-the management wants to create a romantic environment in the main dining room, so there are areas where they avoid seating children.
The manager had no response to my concern about my family being squeezed into a 4-top.
I asked the manager to please convey my disappointment and recommendation that the executive management reconsider seating diners in the event room, unless the diners specifically requested a fireworks view table and none are available in the main dining room (with customers with reservations being told that they will be in an adjoining event room). I left the conversation feeling that the manager was placing blame on me for now speaking up after we had been seated. I was a guest in her "home" and I should not have to ask to be treated in a thoughtful way (I would never invite someone to dinner, then seat them in the family room).

The lesson for me is to speak up early, but I didn't want to make a fuss, or make the waiter feel that we were not happy with him, or move my family after drinks and appetizers had already been delivered to the table. I truly assumed that we would never be sat in an event space unless the restaurant was overbooked. But that was not the case here. I am still so deeply disappointed by the experience.

Attachments

• IMG_8269.jpg
    IMG_8269.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
The manager told me that if I was unhappy, then I should have said something sooner.
Yes. Halfway or mostly through the meal isn't the right point to request a table change.
She told me:
1-the event room is part of the bookable seating area, along with the main dining room;
2-customers need to be evenly distributed among servers;
3-many customers want a fireworks view so the restaurant seats people near the windows;
4-the management wants to create a romantic environment in the main dining room, so there are areas where they avoid seating children.
The explanation I numbered 4 is the only one that doesn't make sense, because you saw children in the main dining room.
1-makes sense (plus, this gives each party space, unlike, say, Le Cellier)
2-makes even more sense
3-also makes sense from, probably, experience
(with customers with reservations being told that they will be in an adjoining event room)
Sorry, but I see no reason to provide this information, or even that the diner is entitled to it. If they were moving the diner to a different restaurant, sure.
I left the conversation feeling that the manager was placing blame on me for now speaking up after we had been seated.
I can see this. The longer a customer wants to express legitimate dissatisfaction (as here), the less opportunity for the business to fix it.

I totally feel your pain. There could be a completely empty restaurant, and I swear I will get the table next to the bathroom. Happens all the time. I do ask to be moved though before they even seat me. My husband gets annoyed and sometimes the hostess does too...but I don't care. I'm paying for the experience I want to have. And rarely is it next to a bathroom lol.

As a former server/hostess, it's more of a numbers game for the servers and less of a personal slight....despite what she said about kids. That's a weird thing for someone at Disney to say lol.

But the food, drinks and service were good tho?? That's a positive at least!

The number 2 reason is the one that immediately came into mind while reading the initial post. I have worked in restaurants. The restaurant is divided into sections with a server assigned to each section. They rotate new arrivals among the sections to make sure each server gets their fair share. Also keeps an individual server from being overloaded with too many tables being sat in their section at one time. Being double sat is handable triple sat and more is can impact service.

There have been times when we were being taken to table and as I surmised its location, that it would not be table. If there are other tables open, I will ask if we can be sat at one of them. The worse they could say is no.

I 100% agree with you. The logistics of the restaurant are not your problem. They can figure out splitting tables amongst the servers without the guest paying the price of a crappy table, period. That is what a manager is there for. I know EXACTLY how you feel about not wanting to start the evening off on a bad note and would have not said anything either. The point is it never should of happened in the first place. I can see using overflow space for walk ups or a full restaurant but that is only when it should be done.

We ate there on our trip last week. Party of 5 adults. We were initially seated in center of main room when there were tons of window tables open. So my SIL immediately requested a window table and we were moved to that. Had swift good service and food was delicious. We were extremely pleased. If it were DH and I, we likely would not have spoken up about our table location because there are walls of windows and the view is clear from everywhere. Plus it was like 5:45 pm and still light outside with no fireworks happening while we dined. But we will go back. I put it on par with Cali Grill. I am not sure what the issue is with the event room where you still had window views. I'd rather be in a more intimate space anyway. The main room was cavernous and loud.

I had a similar experience at California Grill. I always book for fireworks viewing time. Get up a 6 am 180+10 days in advance. The whole deal. SO excited when we got there, however, and we were sat in the room which overlooks Bay Lake. Lucky to be able to eat at California Grill but not what we intended. As soon as we sat down I looked at my husband and he knew I was not happy. (He thinks I'm a brat, which I guess I am but...) He asked the matradee if we could get a seat in the main dining room so we could see the fireworks. She was lovely. She came to get me and said she had a great table for us right next to the window. Say What! Very happy. My husband is still mad at me that I was acting spoiled but if we never said anything we would of never had that amazing table and a great night. SO speak up. But be nice.

Wow, that is really silly of them. To have a beautiful space and sit someone in a conference room, not because of a problem but because that is part of the seating is just wrong. You should not have to speak up about that kind of stuff.

I just returned from CSR and have another trip booked there, mostly because the deluxes have gotten just so expensive. But, I did get a distinct vibe from the place that Conferences/Events are simply #1 and the individual vacation guest is #2. We stopped by the Three Bridges Lounge on Sunday and they were closing right at dinner time for a special event. They had already closed a section and were closing another section in 10 minutes. We were able to get a seat at one of the sofas, but would not be able to get seated at one of the back tables because they had already closed that area. It was a little awkward to have dinner in the sofa. I had a salad and it was tough to eat it while hunching over. Anyway, I wonder if they hold the "best" tables at Toledo for those who are part of the Conferences and Events?

We went in late Sept and were also underwhelmed. Just my husband and I and never asked for a specific table until I noticed the place was empty. We were put towards th back and I asked for a different table. The table in the back area was claustrophobic because they had the shade down until sunset. We asked if they could raise it a bit and they did , but for only a few minutes. There was a private table in an enclosed glass area that didn’t seem happy about the shade going up. As we left we noticed the volume was really getting loud and it was only half full- this seems to be a pattern at restaurants. Now the food, they push it as a tapas restaurant and there are some, but not really. If you do real tapas certainly no room for the entrees they serve. Food was ok, but I would not go back.

We went in late Sept and were also underwhelmed. Just my husband and I and never asked for a specific table until I noticed the place was empty. We were put towards th back and I asked for a different table. The table in the back area was claustrophobic because they had the shade down until sunset. We asked if they could raise it a bit and they did , but for only a few minutes. There was a private table in an enclosed glass area that didn’t seem happy about the shade going up. As we left we noticed the volume was really getting loud and it was only half full- this seems to be a pattern at restaurants. Now the food, they push it as a tapas restaurant and there are some, but not really. If you do real tapas certainly no room for the entrees they serve. Food was ok, but I would not go back.

WOW. I had a totally different experience. Had a 5:30 on a Wednesday. We were seated at a window table about half way in to the left. The wife was elated.

The appetizer was spot on and the steak was excellent. Service was great and we will be returning in November.

I would have been a bit disappointed by not being in the main dining area too. However you should have mentioned that asap. They cannot fix a problem when you fail to tell them you have one. No one should be expected to be a mind reader, and that is kind of what you expected.

Last edited:
echoing what others have said, there is no harm in requesting a certain view/ room you'd like to be seated in upon check-in. You might have to wait slightly longer, but more often than not I've always had success.

My husband is very picky about where we sit. I always let him follow the person seating us to the table first. If he doesn’t like it, we ask for a different table politely but insistently. If needed we wait a bit longer. I have started to do myself it more and more. After all we are the customers.

I understand why you were disappointed but unfortunately there is not much that the restaurant can do after you are seated and eating, we would have immediately said no, with a smile and that we want to sit In the main dining room. I think offering you a dessert went above and beyond what most restaurants would do.

I did request different location at BOG last trip. It was DH's 1st time there and my 2nd. My first visit I was seated in that bright music box room. So this time I wanted a different room. And they were leading us back to the music box room. So I asked if we could sit in one of the other rooms. She went away for a second and came back and seated us in the main hall....but it was the very first table by the lobby and the open doors with all the noise from the folks waiting to be seated and the light pouring in from the doors. Will never eat there again (not worth the new fixed cost) so it's good to have tried 2 different rooms.

Always, always, always ask for the table you really want! The worst they can say is "no, that table isn't available". When I was a kid, I used to get mad at my father, because he always spoke up about moving our table. I thought it seemed entitled. As long as you ask nicely, it can't hurt to ask.

I think it's unfair to critisise LNMom for not requesting a certain table when it's their first time dining and as they mentioned wasn't sure on the tables until the bathroom break, it's always worth speaking to management be during or after so they have the feedback to pass on, if you ever do go back at least now you know to request a table.

I get the whole speaking up and asking for what you really want idea, but something rubs me the wrong way about it too. You could argue the whole "how will they ever know if you don't speak up" standpoint, but if the place isn't packed, doesn't it also seem pretty cruddy to routinely seat guests in the less desirable spots if they fail to step up and ask for better? I don't mind asking, but if I have to step up and ask right away, I feel like it's already set a less than desirable tone for the night. Like what else are you going to skip in my experience if I don't know to ask for more/better? I just don't feel like guests should have to ask for better. It feels like a no-brainer to automatically seat the main (i.e. NICER) room first before seating guests in lesser areas. Heck, in the early days of BOG, I seem to recall them not even opening seating in the Rose Gallery for dinner because many felt it to be an inferior dining space for a nice dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!