September 2019 vs. January 2020???

• September 2019!

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • January 2020!

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

Rachel GB

DIS Veteran
At the beginning of this year, we booked a mid-September 2019 trip with a great discount at our favorite/ dream resort (Grand Floridian main building club level):lovestruc.
We were apprehensive about the hot and humid weather, daily rain, and possibility of hurricanes. Then came the announcement of the SWGE opening (wanted to avoid), possible cancellation of MK Early Morning Magic in September (we REALLY want to do this), and now renovations starting soon at the hotel (we like quiet resort time during the day). We would also have to take the kids out of school just a couple of weeks into the school year.
Therefore, we're considering pushing the trip to the last week of January, 2020. That is the latest we can go while still using the airline credit from the tickets we purchased for September, otherwise we lose the $$ (which we are prepared to do, but would rather not).
Pros-September 2019: DISCOUNT, warm enough to swim:beach:
Cons-September 2019: SWGE opening mania, hot/humid/rainy :umbrella: weather and chance of hurricanes, possible cancellation of MK EMM, construction in hotel, leaving already hot weather at home for HOTTER weather at WDW, taking kids out of school right after it starts
Pros-January 2020: more moderate weather, can use airline tix, get to leave awful weather at home for nice weather in Florida :sunny:
Cons-January 2020: possibly NO or LOW DISCOUNTS due to SWGE, possible chilly weather, tour groups and dance competition around that time
***If we couldn't get a discount in January, we would cancel the trip altogether.***:scared:

We aren't locals and don't typically get to go on a big trip more than once a year, so we're putting a lot of thought into making the right choice.
What would you do????
Thanks so much in advance for your input! :thanks:

Honestly, I think you should keep your September trip, especially if you don't think you'll be able to go if January isn't discounted. September brings so much to do at WDW, and you already have your dream vacation booked on a discount! If you can't do EMM, you would also be able to do Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. Don't know if you've done that yet, but it's my favorite event!

I also personally feel like I would be more apprehensive to take kids out of school mid-January than mid-September, as things will still be pretty easy-going in September. Last week of January will be lessons in full-force, and it could be harder to keep up after missing a full week of lessons. I know that in Jersey, the last week of January/first week of February was around the time I did standardized testing for the state a few years ago :scared:

Honestly, I think you should keep your September trip, especially if you don't think you'll be able to go if January isn't discounted. September brings so much to do at WDW, and you already have your dream vacation booked on a discount! If you can't do EMM, you would also be able to do Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. Don't know if you've done that yet, but it's my favorite event!

I also personally feel like I would be more apprehensive to take kids out of school mid-January than mid-September, as things will still be pretty easy-going in September. Last week of January will be lessons in full-force, and it could be harder to keep up after missing a full week of lessons. I know that in Jersey, the last week of January/first week of February was around the time I did standardized testing for the state a few years ago :scared:

@Newsies , THANK YOU for your reply! :-) I really appreciate your input, and you make a great point about missing less content at school in September vs. January!
We have never done the party as my kids are usually asleep by 7:30/8, even at Disney! However, I can't wait to do one of the parties when they're older. It's great to hear you love it.

Being in Florida (live outside of Tampa) for the past 25 years, I would take January over September based on weather alone. I have been to Disney at different times throughout the year and nothing is worse than summer. Before the kids were in school, our choice of time to go was January. The weather can be chilly (for us anyway) but I would take that over oppressive heat any day of the week. Usually by late morning, the temps are back into the high 50's on the coldest of days. We did have a rainy January/February this year but that is not the norm.

There are no more slow times at Disney and we have grown out of going and now spend our vacation time in the Caribbean. We get the itch at times to head back to the World but always stay away during summer months.

Being in Florida (live outside of Tampa) for the past 25 years, I would take January over September based on weather alone. I have been to Disney at different times throughout the year and nothing is worse than summer. Before the kids were in school, our choice of time to go was January. The weather can be chilly (for us anyway) but I would take that over oppressive heat any day of the week. Usually by late morning, the temps are back into the high 50's on the coldest of days. We did have a rainy January/February this year but that is not the norm.

There are no more slow times at Disney and we have grown out of going and now spend our vacation time in the Caribbean. We get the itch at times to head back to the World but always stay away during summer months.

@JimR24 , THANK YOU for your reply! Weather is definitely a concern, and even more so after your input. We aren’t used to the high heat and humidity. However, we did plan mostly resort time, pool/cabana time, etc. (only one or two park days and only partial days!), so we wouldn’t be out baking in the sun too much.
We visited WDW the first week of February this year and lucked out with only one chilly day. Otherwise, we had no rain and temps around 75/80! Is that the norm, or is it usually chillier?
I agree, as far as the weather factor of this decision, I would far prefer moderate temps to extreme heat.
Thanks again! :)

The 75/80 is the norm that time of year but the more important thing is the humidity is way down. I can handle heat without issue. Heat and humidity combined is a killer though. My daughter plays softball year round down here and we spend many weekends at the field under umbrellas while she is playing. Many weekends in the Orlando area. It can be brutal where it wipes you out and you can't drink enough. I don't know how she does it but she lives for the game.

Now we have had stretches of days where we get below 40 at night in January/February but they don't last long. Here is he January Avg for this year:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/orlando-fl/32801/january-weather/328169

The plan of resort and pool time is great. But you have to factor in the rain that pops up. I love the summer showers but not while I am vacation. I know they don't last long (most days) but once they pass, the humidity feels even worse.

The 75/80 is the norm that time of year but the more important thing is the humidity is way down. I can handle heat without issue. Heat and humidity combined is a killer though. My daughter plays softball year round down here and we spend many weekends at the field under umbrellas while she is playing. Many weekends in the Orlando area. It can be brutal where it wipes you out and you can't drink enough. I don't know how she does it but she lives for the game.

Now we have had stretches of days where we get below 40 at night in January/February but they don't last long. Here is he January Avg for this year:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/orlando-fl/32801/january-weather/328169

The plan of resort and pool time is great. But you have to factor in the rain that pops up. I love the summer showers but not while I am vacation. I know they don't last long (most days) but once they pass, the humidity feels even worse.

@JimR24 , thanks again for replying! That weather sounds truly uncomfortable :umbrella:. We will definitely consider that when making our decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter