September 2019 Car Rental Thread

The Mayor

How about 7"...6" is for rookies
Heading down 9/4 to 9/9 and the prices are really up there right now!! In the $330 - $350 range. I know it’s early and the prices always drop but I can’t remember seeing them this high to start.

I reserved for July 14-21 in Charleston and have a compact SUV for $380. Im hoping it goes down before then but this was the lowest I had seen so I grabbed it. I would be fine with a standard/full-size but they were priced higher. I used autoslash and found the cheapest rate through them.

I havent ever paid over $200 for a car during a week stay. Right now I'm looking at $350ish from the 17th-24th. WTH.

Rates are high every month. My threshold of what I’ll accept has changed. I’m going late April/early May, and early June. I’m struggling with those as the rate goes down one day, then really high the next day. I’m going Augment 31 to September 10. I’ve yet to even look at those rates. Those low prices we use to get are gone. I generally stay with Alamo and National because of their great service when things don’t go well.

I booked an economy through Costco for 10 days 9/13 to 9/22 for $315. This is way higher than I usually get but it’s a starting point. The key is playing around with the times. 10am or 10:30 to 10am or 10am to noon was $100 more than what I booked 10 am pickup with 11am return. You would think same time pickup and return would be cheaper but it’s not

Well after being shocked by prices, its usually under 200 for me for a week. I tried moving times and that makes a huge difference. We fly out at 6am. So I moved my drop off time from noon (default) to 7am. That knocked 100 bucks off. But prices were still super high. But to my surprise the economy and a PICK UP. Both were at 260. So I booked the pickup. I don't care at this point. So I went to Alamo and did my Veterans rate. That knocked the pickup down to 235. I can handle that so rebooked at that rate. Although not ideal, only 2 of this time.

Last edited:
We are headed down again in September well (August 30th-sept 6th) and have never rented a car or even looked into renting a car at Disney before.
There have been so many recent changes that will affect our trip that we have decided to spend a lot more time off property eating meals, groceryshopping, shopping etc..

We are staying at the beach club on points so we will not have to pay for parking.

The cheapest rental I have found so far is $251 after taxes. From the comments I have read, the prices usually go down the closer you get to your dates. What is considered a great rate for a week?

Do any of you that usually rent a car decide to take the money you would have spent on a car and use uber/Lyft instead? I am a little concerned about what the driving conditions will be like as Star Wars opens the same week.

When renting a car do you usually drive from your hotel to the parks? Is it worth it?

The breakdown at this currant rate is $35.85 per day. I'm thinking that would be close to what uber would cost if we go off property between once or twice a day on average.

Is there anything I am forgetting?

Sorry if some of my questions have been asked a million times before, I have never rented a car before as we usually travel to touristy areas that don't require one. Thanks!!

We like the freedom of renting a car. We stay on our DVC points also so we don’t have to pay for parking. We are doing HHN at Universal so definitely need a car. We also make a grocery stop the first evening so we can have breakfast and drinks for the room. Depends on where we are staying and where we are going if we drive to a park. If we have dinner at a resort we usually drive and then drive to the park we plan on after dinner. If we are going to a park in the evening and then Disney Springs we usually drive. In the morning we usually take Disney transportation. It is just nice to have the choice. Have never used lyft or Uber. I do check my rental often and it usually goes down close to the trip. last September for our trip to Disneyland our rental car went down three times in one day just two days before we left.

We like the freedom of renting a car. We stay on our DVC points also so we don’t have to pay for parking. We are doing HHN at Universal so definitely need a car. We also make a grocery stop the first evening so we can have breakfast and drinks for the room. Depends on where we are staying and where we are going if we drive to a park. If we have dinner at a resort we usually drive and then drive to the park we plan on after dinner. If we are going to a park in the evening and then Disney Springs we usually drive. In the morning we usually take Disney transportation. It is just nice to have the choice. Have never used lyft or Uber. I do check my rental often and it usually goes down close to the trip. last September for our trip to Disneyland our rental car went down three times in one day just two days before we left.
Thank you!! We have decided to rent a car. Now to find a decent rate. I have read quite a few threads today and the average best price is around $200. That seems very reasonable for a whole week.

Thank you!! We have decided to rent a car. Now to find a decent rate. I have read quite a few threads today and the average best price is around $200. That seems very reasonable for a whole week.

Maybe $200 closer to your vacation date, as in 2 to 2-1/2 months out. Right now i’m rates in area of $350 for a week my sept/oct trip.

Wow, I booked my car last fall for September 11-13 of this year at National. Pick up at MCO, drop at Fort Lauderdale. $167.00 for 3 days, midsize car so it will be Emerald Aisle. I checked them a while back, they were way above that. Yikes... best of luck to all.

Joining the thread as we just booked a Labor Day week trip.
Alamo Standard car through Costco
9/1-9/8 $225 (it was $238 last night when I booked, dropped this afternoon a little)
Fingers crossed it'll keep going down.

I am late Sept into October, it has been about $355 for the last few weeks (mid SUV, 5 nights). I need it under $250 to jump on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!