Sept 2 Magic to Canada - Hopefully NO MORE Drama.....

Henlady

DIS Veteran
This is my first PTR, as if you won't be able to tell.......
This will be the 6th Disney Cruise for DH & I (3 on Wonder and 2 last year on the Dream). Going along with us will be my Mom (85) and DH Mom (87)......
Neither Mom has traveled anywhere in many years, and neither has been on a cruise (DH Mom was on an overnight ferry to Halifax once, but that wasn't really a "cruise").
Phase I
We had talked last fall about doing a Canada cruise this summer and taking the Moms, but DH Mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma in November. She completed her Chemo about 4 months ago and thankfully it did away with the Lymphoma!! At her age she came thru it very well. So, when the VGT rates came out, DH & I decided to jump on it, but first we had to get the Moms to go.....It took them about a week and a phone call to each other.("If you go, I'll go" sort of thing)to finally decide. When they gave me the "go" I booked.:cool1:

Phase II
DH and I have passports - no problem. DH Mom said she had a birth certificate & her Drivers License and my mom had hers, HOWEVER, the first and middle names on my Mom's birth certificate are one way and every other legal document she has had since are reversed:eek:....Not good when you're useing BC and Drivers license to travel and the names don't exactly match. SOooooo, she had a passport in the late 70's issued in the name she uses, we ended up fileing for a passport card and the PP person said it wasn't a problem and sent her old passport along with her application so we're waiting for that to arrive.:rolleyes:
Next: I asked to see DH Mom's BC just to make sure it was good. WELLLLL it wasn't an official Birth Certificate it was a Record of Registration of Birth. Off to Vital Statistics.....PA Vital Statistics is now taking 14 Weeks to process a mailed in request!!! :eek: Our only option is to order online(3-4 weeks) or take the application to Pittsburgh (2 hrs away) and get one from there on a one day visit. When we present the application, we are informed that they no longer do 1 day issues. It takes 5 days and DH Mom has to return to pick up the Birth Certificate herself. She decides to just have them mail it back to her, that is also a 3-4 week process. Currently waiting to get her Official Birth Certificate.

DH says he's not getting excited about this trip till their documents are in hand and we are actually sitting in the terminal. :sad2:

So that's where we stand........Waiting on the government to "promptly" process and return the needed Documents.
Waiting for DCL to select our staterooms for us. Waiting as patiently as possible, when I'm getting excited about this trip.
Oh, and the Moms are now getting excited and looking forward to going. I think it was just the initial decision to actually take a trip at their ages, even though they both get around pretty well.

This should be interesting.....:rolleyes1...........To be continued

Oh geeze what a whole lot of stress!
I hope that you get all your documents in time and have
a wonderful cruise:)

Well, DH can now start getting a little excited now, my Mom's Passport Card came today. One document down, MIL's Birth Certificate to go...

I am getting very excited for the cruise. I even have some stuff packed, which is normal for me. For our May '11 cruise I was 95% packed 2 months in advance!!

I've been trying to clue the Mom's in on some of the fun stuff on the cruise. This will be our first cruise on the Magic, so that will be new for us. The Mom's do not know we have verandah staterooms yet, so that will be an additional surprise for them.

Counting the days - 32 to go now.:goodvibes

You'll really make some memories, cruising with both Moms:)! Are you thinking of any port excursions? We loved both Halifax and Saint John! Both are very walkable, but I'm not sure how mobile your octagenarians are. Let us know what you're planning!

Wow good on you both for taking the Moms! Looking forward to reading how it all turns out.:thumbsup2

Hermantriplets+1: We currently have the excursion to Peggys Cove booked for our day in Halifax. I think for St. John we may just walk in the port area a bit, maybe visit the St.John Market that is nearby.

I am SOOOO FRUSTRATED with PA Vital Statistics office in Pittsburgh.
MIL's application for her birth certificate was dropped off there on 7/10. The man who took the form told my DD that they say 3-4 weeks, but it is usually returned by 3 weeks. The BC has not been delivered yet, so I called the office....here is the convo:

Me: I am calling about a Birth Certificate request form that was dropped off on July 10th and it hasn't been received yet.
Vital Statistics: What is the name on the BC and what is the Birthdate?
Me: gave him the info.
Vital Statistics: OK hold on a minute.
8 minutes later....
Vital Statistics: This is vital statistics can I help you (same man).
Me: Uhmmm I'm waiting for someone to check on a BC for me.
VS: Oh, just a minute
puts me on hold again
2 min later
VS: Was that for XXX XXX, date of birth XX xx?
Me: Yes
VS:OK wait a minute I can't find it are your sure that's the right name?
Me: Yes that is the correct name.
3 minutes later:
VS: I can't find anything at all on that person are you sure that's the right name and birthdate?
ME: Yes, (respelled the name) & gave the birthdate again. "It was dropped off on July 10th, the check that was with it was cashed the same day"
VS: When the check is cashed doesn't matter...Hold again
2 minutes later:
VS: Was it for xxx xxx, birthdate xx xx?
Me: Yes thats it.
VS: It was just dropped off on July 10th. It takes 3-4 weeks.
ME: Yes, and it has been 3 1/2 wks and I want to make sure there is no problem with processing.
VS: Well, it takes about 4 weeks or more to be issued.
ME: What happened to 3 wks we were originally told.
VS: It might take more than 4 weeks.
ME: She needs the BC by August 15th.
VS: OK, I'll put a note on it that you need it by Aug 15. He then repeats the address it is to be sent to and ends the conversation.
NOW: If we went to Pittsburgh to pick up the BC, it takes 4 days after drop off. Why on earth does it take 4 weeks to mail out the same BC??? Makes no sense to me, except that we're dealing with the state. If it doesn't come by next Tuesday, I'll call and have them pull the "mail the BC" option and tell them we'll come over to pick it up. It'll be ineresting to see what happens then.

Yipppeeee, Took MIL to Pittsburgh this morning to pick up her "Certificate of Birth". She says at 87 she is now "officially born. ;) We can now start moving forward to the cruise. 17 days to go. Time to start packing!!

Things seem to be going smoothly now. As noted, MIL picked up her Birth Certificate last week. Pennsylvania has changed their form, it is now about 8 1/2 by 11 in size instead of the approx 5 x 7 in the past.

Rooms have been assigned to the VGT bookings, we have 2 5Bs on deck 7 which we are happy with. Great location halfway between forward and midship elevators. They are 4 doors apart - connecting would have been ideal, but I don't think we'll get lost going 4 doors away.

The Moms still don't know that we booked Verandah, they think we have ocean view port hole rooms. They should be pleasantly surprised.

Just called DCL and requested our preferred dining rotation and asked that the beds be split into 2 singles instead of 1 bed. Of course, "it is a request and not guaranteed":rolleyes:. Hopefully it's done before we get there, if not, they'll just have to do it after we arrive.

12 days and counting:cool1:

Almost time for your Cruise!!
Hope you have a great time!!
We are on the last New York to Canada Cruise after yours!!
Wishing you smooth Sailing!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter