Sensory Overload in the Parks

Belle's-Library

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,
I am going to Disney World this summer, working in the International College Program.
I am autistic, and experience sensory overload many days. I have learned to deal with it but this will be my first time travelling on my own and being at the parks on my own. I'm very nervous about getting overwhelmed while working and while being in the parks alone.

Does anyone have any tips to avoid overstimulation or how to deal with it when there is no avoiding it?

Congratulations on your placement..

My son is autistic , has ADHS and SPD when we go to the parks the first day is stressful for him, after sometime in the parks its gets better.. and he can start to relax..

he has a game plane,, we study the maps and know exactly where everything is. This helps with his executive functioning issues.
he will wear sunglasses and a hoodie or hat to help with visual simulation and ear buds to help with noise ..
sometimes he will have a handkerchief handy with a scent on it so he can smell it , to help cover the park smells.
He he needs to constantly move so while waiting in lines he will be between my husband and I to avoid touching people.

Im assuming the people who are in charge of your program know you are on the spectrum, and will help you get as comfortable as possible. Disney has a very strict policy on maintaining the Disney bubble and dont like it when their cast members step out of character.. not knowing what your role at Disney will be , sort of restricts the advice you will get.

If it was my son in your position I would want him to let the program know of his diagnosis if there was a chance it would interfere with his chances of success . You may feel different and not need a lot of support.. in that case.. I would suggest that you would be anxious like most new employees , listen to your manager , do what needs to be done. , try and make friends. and after the initial business of the first week, try and relax and have fun..

Hi! Not trying to send you away - but have you checked the College Board here? You may find someone there who has gone through CP and has some tried and tested strategies for working in the Parks.

Congratulations on your new adventure! :)

I would hope disney is aware of disability and they will put you somewhere less stimulation like a small shop at the resorts

Congratulations on your placement..

My son is autistic , has ADHS and SPD when we go to the parks the first day is stressful for him, after sometime in the parks its gets better.. and he can start to relax..

he has a game plane,, we study the maps and know exactly where everything is. This helps with his executive functioning issues.
he will wear sunglasses and a hoodie or hat to help with visual simulation and ear buds to help with noise ..
sometimes he will have a handkerchief handy with a scent on it so he can smell it , to help cover the park smells.
He he needs to constantly move so while waiting in lines he will be between my husband and I to avoid touching people.

Im assuming the people who are in charge of your program know you are on the spectrum, and will help you get as comfortable as possible. Disney has a very strict policy on maintaining the Disney bubble and dont like it when their cast members step out of character.. not knowing what your role at Disney will be , sort of restricts the advice you will get.

If it was my son in your position I would want him to let the program know of his diagnosis if there was a chance it would interfere with his chances of success . You may feel different and not need a lot of support.. in that case.. I would suggest that you would be anxious like most new employees , listen to your manager , do what needs to be done. , try and make friends. and after the initial business of the first week, try and relax and have fun..

Thank you, I'm definitely going to be wearing sunglasses and ear buds while I am wandering around. I usually present as fairly 'high functioning', it's mainly the sensory overload I'm worried about since I will be at the parks much longer than usual and won't have my dad or any of my support system with me. I will be in merchandise by the way so hopefully it should be alright on the job surrounded by disney toys
The handkerchief is a very good idea, I might try that one too.

Hi! Not trying to send you away - but have you checked the College Board here? You may find someone there who has gone through CP and has some tried and tested strategies for working in the Parks.

Congratulations on your new adventure! :)

The college board is pretty dead most of the time so I figured I would try here first and hope for the best. That is a good idea though!
Thank you

I am autistic, and experience sensory overload many days. I have learned to deal with it but this will be my first time travelling on my own and being at the parks on my own. I'm very nervous about getting overwhelmed while working and while being in the parks alone.

Does anyone have any tips to avoid overstimulation or how to deal with it when there is no avoiding it?
Firsty first, congratulations. What an adventure.
Tips on preventing overstimulation and mitigating its effects when it does happen... You're asking about sensory overload, something that I'm generally okay with but I have pretty severe anxiety issues; general and social anxiety; as well as a congenital condition called prosopagnosia which makes it very difficult to perceive some non-verbal communication. I understand this can be a hangup for many with autism so maybe my experience can offer some help. I also worked with the foreign exchange program at my university and understand some of what a young person far from home for the first time goes through.

1. What will determine your success or failure in this is your ability to form a tribe of sorts. I don't know how easily you socialize, but finding and connecting with supportive people is your first goal. With this in mind, some decisions may first seem counter intuitive. Your housing preferences for example. It seems like a no-brainer to at least ask for a 1 bedroom as sharing space with one person means less overload than sharing it with 7. But what if that one roommate turns out to be a real Jackal? You have to deal with the person alone and not much gets less attention that a single person with a complaint. If you're in a higher capacity room, odds are at least some of the people will agree with you. More to the point, while having more people around you may increase your level of stimulation; these are the same people who will be there to assist you in overcoming the many normal problems and conflicts you will encounter every day.
  2. If you don't socialize easily, I find this approach helps. Early on, get to wherever you are going (orientation, training, team building, etc.) early. I like to mill around a bit and as new people come by make just a couple sentences of smalltalk. This is how to signal that you need a pack. Maybe take notice of their name tag, where it says where they are from, and comment, "[place name], huh that's really far/close. I'm from [place name] and pretty nervous about being so far away." Play it off really casual. You're saying, "I'm scared and alone." but you want it to come off like it's no big deal. Most people will hear the no-big-deal part. But some of the people you say this to will hear the "scared and alone" part, because they feel that way too. Then, after whatever you were there for is over, those are the people who will come sniffing your way. You signaled, they responded, now you've got a pack. Grow the pack into a tribe
  3. You need people in your tribe for a variety of reasons, so you need a variety of people. Your tribe is there to understand you well enough to know when you are in distress. You'll need people who will see this and lead you away from your stressors, and at other times you'll need people to make you stand your ground or even delve deeper in.

The TL;DR version is this, Isolation will break you faster than anything else.

Sounds dire, but I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck.

Tips on preventing overstimulation and mitigating its effects when it does happen... You're asking about sensory overload, something that I'm generally okay with but I have pretty severe anxiety issues; general and social anxiety; as well as a congenital condition called prosopagnosia which makes it very difficult to perceive some non-verbal communication. I understand this can be a hangup for many with autism so maybe my experience can offer some help. I also worked with the foreign exchange program at my university and understand some of what a young person far from home for the first time goes through.

1. What will determine your success or failure in this is your ability to form a tribe of sorts. I don't know how easily you socialize, but finding and connecting with supportive people is your first goal. With this in mind, some decisions may first seem counter intuitive. Your housing preferences for example. It seems like a no-brainer to at least ask for a 1 bedroom as sharing space with one person means less overload than sharing it with 7. But what if that one roommate turns out to be a real Jackal? You have to deal with the person alone and not much gets less attention that a single person with a complaint. If you're in a higher capacity room, odds are at least some of the people will agree with you. More to the point, while having more people around you may increase your level of stimulation; these are the same people who will be there to assist you in overcoming the many normal problems and conflicts you will encounter every day.
  2. If you don't socialize easily, I find this approach helps. Early on, get to wherever you are going (orientation, training, team building, etc.) early. I like to mill around a bit and as new people come by make just a couple sentences of smalltalk. This is how to signal that you need a pack. Maybe take notice of their name tag, where it says where they are from, and comment, "[place name], huh that's really far/close. I'm from [place name] and pretty nervous about being so far away." Play it off really casual. You're saying, "I'm scared and alone." but you want it to come off like it's no big deal. Most people will hear the no-big-deal part. But some of the people you say this to will hear the "scared and alone" part, because they feel that way too. Then, after whatever you were there for is over, those are the people who will come sniffing your way. You signaled, they responded, now you've got a pack. Grow the pack into a tribe
  3. You need people in your tribe for a variety of reasons, so you need a variety of people. Your tribe is there to understand you well enough to know when you are in distress. You'll need people who will see this and lead you away from your stressors, and at other times you'll need people to make you stand your ground or even delve deeper in.

Thank you so much! I really liked your tips about finding/making a pack, they will really help! I am a little awkward about making friends so I'm nervous about that but I feel like this was very helpful!

That was brilliant advice for many of us, not just the OP. Thank you.

And OP? While I have never worked at Disney, I have worked at another large theme park. I was living at home, but what worked for me during the day was to break things into small, manageable time bits. Took a little practice, but it helped me to put larger and more chaotic situations into a context which I could handle.

Congrats on the college program! I too am on the spectrum and have been labeled “high functioning.” I also have a slight obsession with all things Disney and visiting the parks on both coasts ;). So I totally understand some of the challenges you’re concerned about.

Sensory overload is definitely a challenge for me in the parks. Knowing the parks inside and out helps mitigate that since I don’t have to think about how to get somewhere or where to go if I need to get out, and also knowing the Disney system (like how to get through security efficiently, how transportation works, where discounts work, etc) helps so I’m trying to process one less thing at any given moment in the parks. There are definitely no-go areas for me in some of the parks (like the chaotic fantasyland area behind the carousel near the arches between Pinocchio’s Village Haus and Winnie the Pooh) that I just avoid. If you’re by yourself, try to stick to the areas that are easier for you to deal with.

When I’m in the parks, I usually carry a Duffy bear in a Sully costume. It allows me to squish the bear/stroke the soft fur and self soothe (and not stim so obviously) when I’m getting overloaded. He also attracts a lot of attention (from CMs and guests), and sometimes those interactions help refocus me in the moment on something small and specific so I’m not trying to process everything at once. Is there something you’d be able to bring with you when hanging out in the parks that would help you relax and refocus yourself?

Since this is going to be a day-to-day challenge for you, self-care is probably going to be really important! Finding a way to integrate something you find soothing during your breaks and lunches while working may help with sensory overload at work. Listening to Yo-Yo Ma play Bach cello solos really helps reduce my sense of overload at work when I’m starting to feel overwhelmed, so I make sure I always have that music available to me and some headphones.

I also saw that you said you can usually manage because you have your support system with you. If you’re not already planning on it, set up some regular Skype sessions, phone calls, texting time, etc with your support system back home. Just knowing that you will be able to reach out to your support system and they’ll be available for you at specific times can be super helpful so you don’t feel isolated and alone. I know for me the more connected I feel with the people who are important to me, the more I am able to cope with some of my other challenges like sensory overload.

My son is autistic and he was overwhelmed when we were in a park too long. One reason I’m on these boards a lot is to learn to maximize our time in the parks so we can get in and out by 1pm. Sometimes, after a long break at the hotel we might go out again. I suggest a long break midday.

Thank you so much! I really liked your tips about finding/making a pack, they will really help!

That was brilliant advice for many of us, not just the OP. Thank you.
Thank you both for saying so. To a lot of readers it all might sound overly dramatic. But for all of human development we have been pack animals. When the language and developmental abilities progressed enough we formed tribes. Think the mammoth hunters in Spaceship Earth. Tens of thousands of years like this. Then in the last few hundred years, larger organizational systems began applying to more and more of us as individuals, but even then we still clung to our tribes. Today, our networks are bigger, but the group of people we regularly "share air" with is shrinking. I wonder if some of the social/mental development problems arise from a disconnect between behaviors honed by 50k years of evolution and traits developing to exploit the more recent changes in human organization. Who can say, right? But if your natural inclination is towards isolation, mitigating that trend is step one.

... I am a little awkward about making friends so I'm nervous about that but I feel like this was very helpful!
I just looked up "How to make friends" and read most of the first 3 pages of results and they are awful. As a socially awkward human being, this is a problem area for me. I'm possibly the most anti-social polite person you'll ever meet. That said, I have a few strategies that get me through when the situation requires me to make friends.
  1. You have to be exposed to people to befriend them.
    • Dorm common areas, cafeterias, gyms, pools, etc.
    • Classes. Official get-togethers.
  2. You have to reach out to befriend someone. Only rarely will someone do this part of it for you. How you reach out is most important. Think, light touch.
    1. Show up at informal areas (dorm common areas and such) with a book and settle in to a crowded-ish spot like you're reading. Keep your ears open.
    2. When you hear something suitable and interesting, politely interrupt, "I'm sorry... Did you just say _________? I had been wondering about that. So sorry to interrupt."
    3. What this does is it signals that you're interested in the same thing the people you're interrupting are interested in. That you're polite enough to interject without being a boor.
    4. 9 times in 10 the response will be something like, "No, not at all (about the interruption)." Followed by a question or comment directed at you. That last part indicates they would have you participate in their conversation. If they leave that last part off, just smile and go back to 'reading' your book.
    5. Repeat as needed.
  3. Sometimes it helps to cheat. Create a situation that makes you an attractive member of the pack. The idea is to use these to break the ice, because once someone gets to know you anyway they'll want you as a part of their group.
    1. I went back to college as an adult and didn't make friends easily. But then a guy in one of my classes showed up to the student lounge with a Nintendo Wii and hooked it up to one of the TVs. In 5 minutes, strangers were lining up to play "ping pong" or "bowling". Me and Brandon are still chums to this day. A shy girl on my daughter's recent field trip broke out a Nintendo Switch to much the same result on the long bus ride.
    2. Get a Nespresso machine and a ton of capsules and then anytime you hear someone complain about the coffee, invite them to stop by for a latte or whatever.
    3. Send yourself care packages that really "must" be shared. Then you can ask a bunch of peeps to do "you" the favor and stop by for ice cream sundaes or else you'll have to dump most of it. A friend of mine pulled a version of this during a very long in-patient cancer treatment recovery. She would have 2 pizzas delivered to the clinic, supposedly by her mother from out of state. Well no one can eat 2 large pizzas, at least not many chilling in an oncology ward, but she made a lot of friends while she was there.
    4. If possible, bring a car. Yeah, holy cow this is huge. Maybe not practical so don't sweat it if not, but if you could drive down... your social life will take care of itself.
Stay upbeat. In the grand scheme, the stakes are pretty low. It's a game with many hands, you'll lose some of them.

Keep us updated!

...If possible, bring a car. Yeah, holy cow this is huge. Maybe not practical so don't sweat it if not, but if you could drive down... your social life will take care of itself.

Yep. From what I understand, having a car, and just casually letting folks know you are making a Wal-Mart run at CP housing will make you some new friends right away! Offer to drive to McDonalds or Taco Bell, let folks know you don't mind them tagging along, and you will likely set all kinds of folks in short order! :)

Yep. From what I understand, having a car, and just casually letting folks know you are making a Wal-Mart run at CP housing will make you some new friends right away! Offer to drive to McDonalds or Taco Bell, let folks know you don't mind them tagging along, and you will likely set all kinds of folks in short order! :)
The OP's coming down from Somewhere in Toronto though. Ugh, I wouldn't wish that drive on a Blue Skies Studios fan (sorry, but they ruined Ferdinand ... and everything else they've done). But if the OP is interested, I have a vintage motorbike in storage over near Titusville she can use for her time in Fla. I put it there when we were going to buy a sailboat in the local marina and I wanted some 'cheap to store' transportation for when I'm down there working on it. Boat deal fell through, now bike's just sitting in storage. The offer is probably more hassle than it's worth but it would tickle me to help a shy kid out.

The OP's coming down from Somewhere in Toronto though...

Yep, you are right - although we know a CP who drove from Seattle, so...

In that case, it looks like it's time for the old "Oops, I ordered one pizza, but they delivered 2 - who wants to help me eat free pizza" strategy! :)

The OP's coming down from Somewhere in Toronto though. Ugh, I wouldn't wish that drive on a Blue Skies Studios fan (sorry, but they ruined Ferdinand ... and everything else they've done). But if the OP is interested, I have a vintage motorbike in storage over near Titusville she can use for her time in Fla. I put it there when we were going to buy a sailboat in the local marina and I wanted some 'cheap to store' transportation for when I'm down there working on it. Boat deal fell through, now bike's just sitting in storage. The offer is probably more hassle than it's worth but it would tickle me to help a shy kid out.

I definitely wish I could have a car down there but I don't drive, due to the sensory overload thing, it causes breakdowns for me. Thank you for the offer of a motorbike though, that's so kind!

Thank you both for saying so. To a lot of readers it all might sound overly dramatic. But for all of human development we have been pack animals. When the language and developmental abilities progressed enough we formed tribes. Think the mammoth hunters in Spaceship Earth. Tens of thousands of years like this. Then in the last few hundred years, larger organizational systems began applying to more and more of us as individuals, but even then we still clung to our tribes. Today, our networks are bigger, but the group of people we regularly "share air" with is shrinking. I wonder if some of the social/mental development problems arise from a disconnect between behaviors honed by 50k years of evolution and traits developing to exploit the more recent changes in human organization. Who can say, right? But if your natural inclination is towards isolation, mitigating that trend is step one.

I just looked up "How to make friends" and read most of the first 3 pages of results and they are awful. As a socially awkward human being, this is a problem area for me. I'm possibly the most anti-social polite person you'll ever meet. That said, I have a few strategies that get me through when the situation requires me to make friends.
  1. You have to be exposed to people to befriend them.
    • Dorm common areas, cafeterias, gyms, pools, etc.
    • Classes. Official get-togethers.
  2. You have to reach out to befriend someone. Only rarely will someone do this part of it for you. How you reach out is most important. Think, light touch.
    1. Show up at informal areas (dorm common areas and such) with a book and settle in to a crowded-ish spot like you're reading. Keep your ears open.
    2. When you hear something suitable and interesting, politely interrupt, "I'm sorry... Did you just say _________? I had been wondering about that. So sorry to interrupt."
    3. What this does is it signals that you're interested in the same thing the people you're interrupting are interested in. That you're polite enough to interject without being a boor.
    4. 9 times in 10 the response will be something like, "No, not at all (about the interruption)." Followed by a question or comment directed at you. That last part indicates they would have you participate in their conversation. If they leave that last part off, just smile and go back to 'reading' your book.
    5. Repeat as needed.
  3. Sometimes it helps to cheat. Create a situation that makes you an attractive member of the pack. The idea is to use these to break the ice, because once someone gets to know you anyway they'll want you as a part of their group.
    1. I went back to college as an adult and didn't make friends easily. But then a guy in one of my classes showed up to the student lounge with a Nintendo Wii and hooked it up to one of the TVs. In 5 minutes, strangers were lining up to play "ping pong" or "bowling". Me and Brandon are still chums to this day. A shy girl on my daughter's recent field trip broke out a Nintendo Switch to much the same result on the long bus ride.
    2. Get a Nespresso machine and a ton of capsules and then anytime you hear someone complain about the coffee, invite them to stop by for a latte or whatever.
    3. Send yourself care packages that really "must" be shared. Then you can ask a bunch of peeps to do "you" the favor and stop by for ice cream sundaes or else you'll have to dump most of it. A friend of mine pulled a version of this during a very long in-patient cancer treatment recovery. She would have 2 pizzas delivered to the clinic, supposedly by her mother from out of state. Well no one can eat 2 large pizzas, at least not many chilling in an oncology ward, but she made a lot of friends while she was there.
    4. If possible, bring a car. Yeah, holy cow this is huge. Maybe not practical so don't sweat it if not, but if you could drive down... your social life will take care of itself.
Stay upbeat. In the grand scheme, the stakes are pretty low. It's a game with many hands, you'll lose some of them.

Keep us updated!

Thank you so much for all the help on this thread, you've been amazing! I will definitely use a few of these tips! Yeah the google results for that are about the least helpful things ever, but this is actually awesome

Congrats on the college program! I too am on the spectrum and have been labeled “high functioning.” I also have a slight obsession with all things Disney and visiting the parks on both coasts ;). So I totally understand some of the challenges you’re concerned about.

Sensory overload is definitely a challenge for me in the parks. Knowing the parks inside and out helps mitigate that since I don’t have to think about how to get somewhere or where to go if I need to get out, and also knowing the Disney system (like how to get through security efficiently, how transportation works, where discounts work, etc) helps so I’m trying to process one less thing at any given moment in the parks. There are definitely no-go areas for me in some of the parks (like the chaotic fantasyland area behind the carousel near the arches between Pinocchio’s Village Haus and Winnie the Pooh) that I just avoid. If you’re by yourself, try to stick to the areas that are easier for you to deal with.

When I’m in the parks, I usually carry a Duffy bear in a Sully costume. It allows me to squish the bear/stroke the soft fur and self soothe (and not stim so obviously) when I’m getting overloaded. He also attracts a lot of attention (from CMs and guests), and sometimes those interactions help refocus me in the moment on something small and specific so I’m not trying to process everything at once. Is there something you’d be able to bring with you when hanging out in the parks that would help you relax and refocus yourself?

Since this is going to be a day-to-day challenge for you, self-care is probably going to be really important! Finding a way to integrate something you find soothing during your breaks and lunches while working may help with sensory overload at work. Listening to Yo-Yo Ma play Bach cello solos really helps reduce my sense of overload at work when I’m starting to feel overwhelmed, so I make sure I always have that music available to me and some headphones.

I also saw that you said you can usually manage because you have your support system with you. If you’re not already planning on it, set up some regular Skype sessions, phone calls, texting time, etc with your support system back home. Just knowing that you will be able to reach out to your support system and they’ll be available for you at specific times can be super helpful so you don’t feel isolated and alone. I know for me the more connected I feel with the people who are important to me, the more I am able to cope with some of my other challenges like sensory overload.

I'm definitely planning to get a stuffed animal to bring around with me, hopefully a Duffy bear if I can find one! That's what I love about being at Disney, it doesn't look super unusual to see a 21 year old carrying around a stuffed animal in public! Bringing music and headphones is a really good idea, thank you! I'll make sure to have some with me when I'm at the parks on my own.
(Also, unrelated, but I read the thread about your wedding a while back and it was beautiful! I showed one of the pictures of you and your wife to my girlfriend because it made me so happy to see other lesbians at Disney!)
Thank you so much for your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!