Selling a home resort to buy elsewhere via disney or reseller

Salokin

Mouseketeer
Hi all apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, please direct and delete if so but how expensive is it to sell your home resort and re-buy elsewhere? I popped into DVC during a recent vacation (bliss, can only go every two years from uk) to ask this question and was heavily warned straight away to avoid doing this as it would cost thousands. For context I currently own 200 points at SSR (this wasn’t even asked when I visited DVC but I understand why they would discourage requests of my nature) and ideally would like to switch home resort to preferably MK (including CCV and BR) but also Epcot area. Would consider doing so via disney direct or a re-seller but despite doing some background reading I’m still pretty confused. Any advice / help greatly appreciated, thanks.

You will make much more money selling your contract via the resale money than Disney will give you to buy it back. I’d contact someone like The Timeshare Store and start talking to them-they are well regarded and will walk you through it. You can get an idea of what you can sell it for and what your new contract will cost by looking at listings on the resale sites and at the sales thread on this board.

Depending on what resort to which you switch but there are a lot of factors to consider.

Note - costs are approximated based on current asking prices and do not include closing costs.

1. CCV - hard to get studios at 11 months (cost of about 10000) Dues are higher. Longer contract life.
2. BRV - losing 15 years of contract life. Higher dues. (cost of 1000-2000)
3. BLT - similar length and dues. Cost about 10000
4. BWV - losing 15 years of contract life. Cost about 5000
5. BCV losing 15 years of contract life. Cost about 8000$
6. Riviera - longest contract cost about 15000$

Your time of travel and room type will make a big difference. At many points in time BRV is not hard to get at 7 months.
I find BLT to have decent availability a fair amount of the time.

Another question is are you currently getting benefits that you take advantage of, such as discounted APs and will you lose that buying resale now.

One possible consideration is trying to rent the stay you want, then rent out your points to subsidize your costs, but that does get expensive (maybe 1000 a year) and of course you are now a renter, and if you have to cancel you are probably SOL.

I guess the bottom line is how much do you want to switch, and how often are you not able to do so.

I have done this a few times over the 10 years I have owned. I am in the process of selling BWV resale and I bought RIV direct,

In my case, I am making a profit on BWV, which really reduced the cost of my new resort,

In your course, you have to weigh the loss you will take on SSR against the new purchase and decide if that loss is worth having a different home resort,

You will get a lot more resale than Disney. Recently, it’s was posted that Disney paid someone $65/point. But they won’t always buy back either.

Everytime I have done what I did, it was clear that the financial aspect of doing it made it worth it.

Just consider it all and once you weigh the pros and cons, the you will know if it makes sense for you!

Thanks for this info, that’s helpful.

I think our preferred time of travel going forward will be late October / early November and we usually look to book studios or 2 bed units.

I think we will only be visiting every couple of years so annual pass discount is not a perk we would miss, not being able to visit TOWL (I think this perk is lost too) would be a shame though, particularly if owning at BLT.

We were really spoilt on our last trip by managing to stay at BCV on my sisters points and VGF in a 2 bed standard with two nights at SSR sandwiched in between. We have a young family and the ability to stay in the MK area compared to SSR is so attractive although I note that VGF doesn’t have many units so can be difficult to secure.

thanks again.

I think we will only be visiting every couple of years so annual pass discount is not a perk we would miss, not being able to visit TOWL (I think this perk is lost too) would be a shame though, particularly if owning at BLT.

TOTWL is available to resale purchasers. You don't have to be a "blue card" member to go up.

The EPCOT lounge, on the other hand, is a "blue card" member benefit.

In your case, I would sell via the resale market and buy via the resale market if your heart is set on switching up your home resort. We own at VGF and BLT. They’re both great! We just sold BWV and bought RIV, so it does happen a lot.

Thanks for that. Nice lounge the Epcot one but can easily live without it, especially if TOWL remains available!

In your case, I would sell via the resale market and buy via the resale market if your heart is set on switching up your home resort. We own at VGF and BLT. They’re both great! We just sold BWV and bought RIV, so it does happen a lot.

thanks I’ll give it all some thought. At the back of my mind is buying a small add on contract at one of the current resorts or waiting until reflections. We did well exchanging at 7 months this time round with the exception of the weekend because of all the race events that were on so with the money I’d lose I’m thinking it would be better just to buy a small contract. Obviously more points = more dues but at least then I could maintain a direct dvc membership too with my SSR ownership.

I understand there are more hoops to go through as an international seller to prove there would be no profit in the sale that would result in tax being owed, the broker should keep you right

We have a young family and the ability to stay in the MK area compared to SSR is so attractive

Your family won’t always be young. Especially going every two years, those days will be over sooner than you can imagine.

Is this the only reason you want to switch?

Hi - So are the 200 points you own at SSR right now points that you originally bought direct or resale? And how long ago did you buy them?

What is your main motivation for wanting to change home resort? If it just not being able to book the MK area resorts at the 7 month window?

Your family won’t always be young. Especially going every two years, those days will be over sooner than you can imagine.

Is this the only reason you want to switch?

This is absolutely true and we love the whole of WDW area but Disney in its purest form for us is MK area, this is where our real emotional attachment is.

Hi - So are the 200 points you own at SSR right now points that you originally bought direct or resale? And how long ago did you buy them?

What is your main motivation for wanting to change home resort? If it just not being able to book the MK area resorts at the 7 month window?

Bought direct by the family when first released all those years ago. I guess the main motivation would be to have a better chance at getting our preferred accommodation at 11 months out.

Bought direct by the family when first released all those years ago. I guess the main motivation would be to have a better chance at getting our preferred accommodation at 11 months out.

So then I assume you have grandfatherd points. I would hang on to them. If you sell them and buy resale then you will lose benefits. If you buy direct you will pay a premium. You have to weight it all out, only you know if you would be losing money or breaking even, and only you know how important changing is to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter