Segway Ban

ChoirBoy

Earning My Ears
I just wanted to add something to this topic from the podcast:
What would happen to the Segway tours if Segways were allowed in the parks? I'm not saying business would drop drastically, but it would make riding a Segway through the World Showcase more common and not special, thus making it obsolete. Do you know what I mean?

I think that would be a concern only if Disney took to renting them out for anyone, which is not likely to happen. They schedule the tours around low times, before the WS is open, because they know the danger they can pose, both to the rider and the pedestrian. I was on the last tour of the day, which was when the WS was opening, and even though the park filled slowly, it became obvious that there was a conflict in traffic flows! Segways are easy to stop, but if you step out (or push your stroller) in front of something going 6 mph, chances are great there will be a collision. Imagine if private Segways, programmed to much greater speeds, were allowed in!

So what's the difference between these and ECVs, you might ask? I don't see too many, except for one...if a Segway gets in a collision with a pedestrian, BOTH parties are going to get hurt.

I have a question, though...if one cannot walk, how can one operate their legs and feet sufficiently to maintain their balance on a Segway? When I did the tour, a good sense of balance was a requirement. I don't know enough about the various disabilities that might allow for balanced standing and weight shifting, but not walking.

Besides the speed factor, these machines are extremely heavy AND they require more than the average STRENGTH and BALANCE to operate. You're right UrsulasShadow!
Sorry.. it is NOT a method of transportation for disabled people and too dangerous for both the rider and the pedestrians in the path of those things.

The inventor was so totally right!

Besides the speed factor, these machines are extremely heavy AND they require more than the average STRENGTH and BALANCE to operate. You're right UrsulasShadow!
Sorry.. it is NOT a method of transportation for disabled people and too dangerous for both the rider and the pedestrians in the path of those things.

The inventor was so totally right!

You are absolutely right and I would add that EVEN IF Segways were a good method of transportation for disabled people, with so many children in WDW, it would still be inappropriate to allow their use. Certainly, most parents watch their children carefully at WDW, but they shouldn't have to hold onto them as if they were crossing the street or walking through a parking lot.

I have severe mobility issues, only being able to walk short distances and with the support of a cane. I used EVC's at WDW, they allowed me to navigate the park in a safe, slow, orderly fashion. I would never consider riding a Segway. I have no doubt that something would happen, as busy as the parks get, that would cause me to lose control or fall, and I might endanger someone else, or end up during further damage to myself. I have heard the argument for them for the disabled but I truly cannot fathom such a use.

I have seen a few of those in action around our neighborhood. Teens or young adults primarily use them, not people with disabilities. These things FLY. When they get up to speed it seems it is going faster than the posted speed limit in our neighborhood which is 25. Of course this is probably the other setting that was mentioned on the Podcast. But imagining something like that going down Main Street is a frightening thought.

With the amount of ECV, Wheelchairs and carts etc that are available the use of Segways should be like the use of heelies. I know they offer "Segway Tours" on property but this is in a Disney controlled environ and I think it was mentioned these stay beneath 12 mph and are used in Epcot and Wilderness Lodge as a new kind of tour not a method of tranportation.

(**Side Note**: If there is a concern for a lack of ECVs we have found that there are places you can rent them from on a daily or weekly basis. My Grandmother who will be travelling with us next time needs either a wheelchair or ECV for $25 a day and it can go with us to our hotel room (which is great b/c we are renting a DVC 2 bedroom villa and the layout is a long way from the elevators), They deliver to the resorts. I believe the store is called Scooterama and they have a high rating from Deb Will's AllEars.)

(**Side Note**: If there is a concern for a lack of ECVs we have found that there are places you can rent them from on a daily or weekly basis. My Grandmother who will be travelling with us next time needs either a wheelchair or ECV for $25 a day and it can go with us to our hotel room (which is great b/c we are renting a DVC 2 bedroom villa and the layout is a long way from the elevators), They deliver to the resorts. I believe the store is called Scooterama and they have a high rating from Deb Will's AllEars.)
There is a disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the disABILITIES Board.
It has a lot of information, including links and phone numbers for a number of off-site places, recommended by DIS posters, that rent ECVs and wheelchairs.

Thanks for the tip Sue!

I will deffinitely head over there before we finalize our plans and see what the best places to rent are!:thumbsup2

My DH has had a Segway for 3 years due to a heart condition and severely arthritic knees which keep him from walking for more then a few feet without stopping. We do not want WDW to allow Segways but not because they are any more of a problem then ECVs.So far we have seen many abuses of ECV. If Disney allowed Segways, off site dealers and Disney would have to rent them to anyone. If they were only allowed by people who needed them and were certified to use them then there would not be a problem as they would of had a lot of experience with them. Segways are very safe and do not require a lot of strength or balance to use them.Our seven year old grandson has no problem driving our Segway. They will back up if they bump into something automatically, so are safer then ECV or strollers. The maximum speed of normal Segways are 12 miles an hour, the speed is regulated by the key that is used in the Segway so that is why Disney's only go 5 miles an hour.A Segway does not take away pride like a wheel chair or a ECV does by bringing the driver up to adult height. I love to walk and enjoying sharing the time with my DH that we wouldn't have without a Segway. Thank you Segway.:thumbsup2

I think I take issue with idea that a wheel chair or an ECV takes away pride.

Some folks do not have the ability to stand and I think that the idea of needing the assitance of a chair or scooter taking away ones pride is hurtful.

I realize that this might not have been your intent...but putting that idea out there may cause someone needing that assistance to be hurt.

There is a member of my family that needs a chair or scooter to be able to go anywhere....and to watch her face life with strength and dignity makes me prouder of her than I will ever be able to explain.

Thanks,
Kevin

I have to agree with the above poster. Where is the loss of pride? I too have arthritis, but my knees are locked at 90 degrees from the joint damage, so being upright and standing now is just not possible. There is certainly no loss in dignity, or pride.. severe crippling pain yes, but certainly no loss of pride.

I really feel like Segway use should be an issue of functionality. There are already mobility devices that can place the user upright but these also, travel at safe pedestrian speeds as well. Segways are not purpose built mobility aids and the manufacturer has no interest in modifying them for that purpose at present, so while there may be some areas where some might fnd them helpful, they alsso need to recognize their limitations as well.

I am sorry that I gave the impression that a wheel chair or a ECV takes away pride, I wanted to point out a different view. I have been in a wheel chair when I broke my leg and it was a non-weight baring break. If you can be at a standing height rather than a sitting height you are able to see more and do not feel that you are unnoticed as I and my DH have when we were in wheel chairs. The Segway has been a blessing to us and they have also helped many service men returning from the war.Segway has donated many Segways to them and I am sure that they would prefer them to a wheel chair if they are able to have a choice.
When Segways came out they were designed as a personal vehicle to help with the environment and to be used by all ( and bought by all ). They are not a cheap toy and are as much as a good used car. Segway's designer did not want them designated as a disabled vehicle because he wanted mass appeal. He has not changed his mind.DRAFT has organized the donations to service men and other groups have designed seats for Segways for people who cannot stand.
I still do not think that they should be allowed in the parks because of the conditions there,too many wheeled vehicles in use by unskilled users. That said I would rather be hit by Segway which will reverse when it bumps into something and will only have a handle fall on me rather then be run over by a cart.By the way a Segway only weighs 60 pounds and takes up less space then a stroller.
I just wanted to give some facts and not start a war. I love the Dis and have have enjoyed the DisUnplugged since the beginning.You are number one.:thumbsup2

During our Segway class, a man had a really bad fall. This with no else around. It's just not feasible to have them in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter