Seeking Sister Wives

Do we know that Kody and Janelle still have outside jobs? On a lot of these shows the adults start with jobs but those fade away after a while. I don't think I've seen anyone mention going to work in some time.

And on Seeking Sister Wives, there was a post script that said Drew Briney gave up his legal practice when they moved and is writing a book.

I think these reality really don't give us any clue into the day to day financial concerns of a polygamous family without income from a TV show.

A lot of them collect welfare $$$ and live off food stamps.

I guess the ones on TV are making enough from that to have their own beautiful homes and care for their kids etc. like the Sister Wives show, the others I would think it would be really hard or impossible.

As I understand it, the father can claim all of his kids and provide them medical benefits from his job. It's no different than a man with kids from previous wives or girlfriends that he's financially responsible for. That's why on Sister Wives, Kody and Meri got divorced. Kody was then able to adopt Robyn's kids from her first marriage and provide them with his medical benefits.

Otherwise, only the legal wife can apply with the husband for loans, file joint taxes, etc. When the Sister Wives family purchased the four homes in Las Vegas, they said that Meri (who was the legal wife at the time) was able to file jointly with Kody for her mortgage and have his income considered as well as hers. The other three wives had to file as single women. It seems that the Brown family keeps their finances somewhat inter-mingled. Kody has a job, as does Janelle. Christine got her real estate license several years back, although it's not clear whether she's actively working in the field. The family has a business that sells jewelry and clothing. Robyn seemed to be most involved in that. Otherwise, they get income from the doing the show (which I read has dropped considerably recently as ratings have declined). Meri had to approach the family for approval to buy the bed and breakfast she wanted.

I've read books about LDS communities that are much more strict and seem almost cult-like. The man might have six or seven wives and over 30 kids. In those communities, many of the wives do file for government assistance. Some of the wives have jobs while the others take care of all the kids. The ones who work must hand their paychecks over to the husband. He gives out the money to the family members as he sees fit. He also controls the money of those who get government assistance.

On Seeking Sister Wives, they never really discussed their finances. The Briny dad is an attorney. He probably makes good money and provides benefits to his kids. No idea what Dmitri does for a living (besides womanizing!).
FLDS not LDS. They’re not the same thing.

A lot of them collect welfare $$$ and live off food stamps.
The ones that follow Warren Jeffs and pretty much live on compounds yes, this is what they do. Those people are thouroughly brainwashed and their crimes go much further than just government fraud. The families that TLC has portrayed thus far do not follow Warren Jeffs or his “teachings.”

Anyone watching the new season? The Briney family from last season has left the show as one of the sister wives (April) took her kids and left the family :crazy2:

Only one episode out so far, but looks like another interesting season ahead.

I just kind of happened upon this show last week for the first time. I watched it simply because it was so odd. I really don't get it and just sat there trying to wrap my head around it. The family with 2 wives and one child who all want to be gods and goddesses seemed really odd. The woman who told her husband to take another wife isn't gonna be able to handle it when it comes down to it. The black family with 3 kids, again I think it will be hard for the wife. They now have 3 kids and have been married for about 8 or 9 years. It just seems like they waited too long. I am not going t go out of my way to watch the show, but if I am awake and bored I might watch it now and again.

I just kind of happened upon this show last week for the first time. I watched it simply because it was so odd. I really don't get it and just sat there trying to wrap my head around it. The family with 2 wives and one child who all want to be gods and goddesses seemed really odd. The woman who told her husband to take another wife isn't gonna be able to handle it when it comes down to it. The black family with 3 kids, again I think it will be hard for the wife. They now have 3 kids and have been married for about 8 or 9 years. It just seems like they waited too long. I am not going t go out of my way to watch the show, but if I am awake and bored I might watch it now and again.
Since you didn't watch the first season, you might be interested to know that the Snowdens (black family with 3 kids) were on the show last season. They were courting a new wife and decided to meet her in person. The first time they met, the husband went off on a date with her and they ended up sleeping together. He's a slimeball IMO and I can't understand why his beautiful wife is still with him. I agree with you about the older couple, they seem to have a happy marriage and I don't think the wife will be able to handle sharing her husband.

The Briney family from last season has left the show as one of the sister wives (April) took her kids and left the family :crazy2:

yeah, apparently this went down during filming as well as the subsequent craziness associated with it so they opted to not to include that entire story line in this season.

i can't say i'm surprised she took off. she was fine with the whole dynamic when she was calling the shots. the other 2 complained that she was manipulative and put her/her kid's wants/needs above and to the detriment of all the others but the husband didn't really see it until after everything was said and done on the move out of state and she pops up with her want to stay in utah w/her friends and family and have him maintain her household there/the others in oregon while splitting his time between the 2 places (i remember it was almost like a realization swept over his face that what the other 2 had been saying wasn't jealousy-it was based in truth).

there are articles on-line that talk of how she said she was taking her kids on a hike and then just took off out of state with them and cut off all forms of contact with anyone in the family for the first month and continued the non contact for the kids for another 7.

Since you didn't watch the first season, you might be interested to know that the Snowdens (black family with 3 kids) were on the show last season. They were courting a new wife and decided to meet her in person. The first time they met, the husband went off on a date with her and they ended up sleeping together. He's a slimeball IMO and I can't understand why his beautiful wife is still with him. I agree with you about the older couple, they seem to have a happy marriage and I don't think the wife will be able to handle sharing her husband.
I did see that episode where he sleeps with the other woman. That was actually the first one I watched. He is slimy, I agree.

I did see that episode where he sleeps with the other woman. That was actually the first one I watched. He is slimy, I agree.
That couple seems more like swingers than polygamists to me.

Demtri is in it just for sex. The way he looks at the new pretty lady like he’s ready to jump in and have sex. He’s trying hard not to screw things up. He’s wife is just weird. Is she really ok with it or just doing it to please her man. They don’t eat or buy meat cuz Demtri . He’s a control weirdo. Can’t wait to see what he does because looks like he’s date ordered meat.

The new younger couple kinda weird too! The first wife facial expression tells like she’s not ok with some things but goes with it.

The older couple, I dunno that man just wants some hanky panky. Are they all really in it for religion, I think it’s for sex

I feel bad for the teenage boy of the older couple. He’s clearly uncomfortable with the situation, and on top of that he’s having to live it all out on camera. Who puts their kid through that?

Dimitri...still a slime ball.

The young ones...don’t even live in one house together yet and already wanting a third wife?

The only family that seems somewhat normal and happy is the Aldredges. But from the previews it looks like the girlfriend they’ve been courting might be playing them somehow .

April leaving was expected and I am surprised to hear people say the other two were vindictive. I think the second wife needed someone to finally come in and stick up for her. The reason it got that far is because Auralee didn't have a backbone (like her husband) and she let April walk all over her. It should have never been Angels responsibility to try and mend the relationship between April and Auralee. Drew should have had that fixed before inviting a third wife in to be his muscle. I would assume Drew knew that Auralee and April would not get along, yet he brought her into the family anyway. I personally think he is the biggest slimeball on the show.

Dimitri is a typical stupid guy with no willpower (like most of us). The biggest test Ashley gave him was to not sleep with Jocelyn and he screwed it up. That being said, if Ashley is truly interested in this lifestyle she shouldn't have to implement so many rules. I think Ashley is more interested in the sister side of the relationship, than Demitri being with her sister. I think she is bi and want's a girlfriend/wife that she can depend on for support and share her life with. I think Ashley needs to take the lead on finding a new sister wife and then introduce Dimitri to the relationship as opposed to the other way around. Dimitri will most likely support Ashley's decision regardless of who it is.

Agreed, the Aldredges seem to have the best relationship. If they bring in this new girl they would just be carrying her, she is definitely not the right fit for their family. But they are doing it right and all seem to be open to a new wife as long as she is approved by everyone in the family.

I haven't seen the last episode yet but in the commercials it looks like the sister of Dimitri's new yet to be "wife" (sorry, can't think of her name) is opposed to the relationship. Can't understand why that would be :sad2: lol.

This show just makes me angry every time I watch it. Aside from the Aldredges, I think the rest of the men are in it for sex. The older couple in particular makes me SO mad. The wife is clearly not ok with her husband courting another woman, but she’s putting on a front for him.

This show just makes me angry every time I watch it. Aside from the Aldredges, I think the rest of the men are in it for sex. The older couple in particular makes me SO mad. The wife is clearly not ok with her husband courting another woman, but she’s putting on a front for him.
I just finished watching . Bernie the older man kinda pissed me off . I watched the date night. He woukd have went for more if the lady would have allowed it. I felt bad for the wife, you can see how hurt she was. Watching the preview for next episode where he says he want to pursue it and blah blah blah. He totally want sex. When his wife caught his text messages he didn’t want her to say what she he had been texting with other women. I wish I knew . I can’t wait to see what happens next

Here's a tidbit. Vanessa Aldridge is the sister of Aspyn Brown's new husband.

These families are all intertwined somehow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter