Seeking recipes

Beth E. (NJ)

<font color=red>Disney obsessed<br><font color=blu
Well, we don't have any plans for New Year's Eve this year. My husband and I were thinking that we would celebrate early with our daughters before they go to bed. The girls are 6 and 3 years old. I want to make them some celebratory snacks that they can eat while we have our early celebration. I'm going to pick up some sparkling apple cider for them - and we have hats and noisemakers too.

What would you recommend serving for the kiddies?

This may not be what you are looking for but my kids always loved these kiddie hors d'oervres.

One marshmallow on one Saltine. Bake for about 5 min until golden. Can even microwave if willing to forgo the golden color. What could be easier?

DD makes her own Shirley temples ginger ale, touch of grenedine & marachino cherries. (DD is 17)

My kids have always preferred the sparkling grape juice to the sp. cider. It's not quite so tart.

Crisp Rice Sushi (CA Grill)
Dole Whips served in wine glasses with little umbrellas, or spears w/cherries
cheese ball & crackers (there's a choc chip one w/cream cheese that's fun for kids)
tortilla pinwheels w/various kid-friendly fillings
Chex Mix - always a big deal here
"blooming onion"
dried beef pinwheels
7-layer Nacho dip
tacos in a parfait glass

Or . . .

If they like seafood, they might like Crab Rangoon.

CRAB RANGOON
1/2 lb. crabmeat, drained and chopped (I use the fake crab instead of real.)
1/2 lb. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 tsp. A-1® Steak Sauce
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

30 won-ton wrappers
1 egg yolk, well beaten
Oil for deep frying (I either "fry" in ~2Tbl oil or spray with olive oil, using the Misto, & bake.)
Chinese mustard and/or red sauce (We eat them "plain" - no sauce.)

Combine crabmeat with cream cheese & seasonings & blend to a paste. Place heaping teaspoonful on each wonton. Moisten edges of wontons with egg yolk. Gather the four corners of the wontons together at the top and pinch the edges together to seal. Heat oil to 375ºF. Add wontons in batches & fry until golden brown; about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Yields 30.

I usually get a more than the 30 specified & their directions for sealing never work for me. I just fold like an envelope. (hold wrapper like a triangle, fold up bottom, fold in L/R sides, then fold down top)

We're staying home with DD tonight too. I am sure we will play games or something. I haven't decided on a menu tonight, (I am sure it will be some kind of appetizers/snacks) but we always let her drink sparkling cider out of the wine glasses. She is blowing up balloons as I type this and I am sure she will have to make some signs to "decorate". I bought plastic 2002 cups at Hobby Lobby and I am filling them with candy and noisemakers and stuff for her and Daddy.

Tomorrow the Sooners play in the Cotton Bowl at 10am so I am making a Raspberry Coffee bread for breakfast and then later I will put on a pot of chili. (we have a little snow here!!) I don't think we are expecting any guests, but a couple are "iffy" and I figured a big pot of chili and fixings would keep me covered.

Have a Safe and Happy New Year All!!
Candi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter