Seeking Help: Booking with Expedia

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
My DH & I are trying to book a night at a quaint little Bed & Breakfast. The B&B's website shows two rooms available. Expedia shows an entirely different room available (an upgraded one that the B&B's website does not show available).

I've never booked through Expedia before. Would love to book the upgraded room, but I'm a little skeptical as to why that room did not show up as available on the B&B's website. Am I risking Expedia not being up to date? Or do some places reserve certain rooms for only Expedia buyers?

Called the B&B, but no answer (its very small & remote, so I don't expect them to get back to me right away).

Thanks!

Sometimes a boutique hotel will release rooms to travel sites and take them off their own. The national chains typically don't do that but depending upon how they like to do things, the small ones sometimes do.

My DH & I are trying to book a night at a quaint little Bed & Breakfast. The B&B's website shows two rooms available. Expedia shows an entirely different room available (an upgraded one that the B&B's website does not show available).

I've never booked through Expedia before. Would love to book the upgraded room, but I'm a little skeptical as to why that room did not show up as available on the B&B's website. Am I risking Expedia not being up to date? Or do some places reserve certain rooms for only Expedia buyers?

Called the B&B, but no answer (its very small & remote, so I don't expect them to get back to me right away).

Thanks!

1) Check the address of the B&B you want vs. what Expedia is showing. Sometimes names will be similar on travel sites but the address will be different so you know it's not the one you want.

2) If that checks out, go ahead and book the room (I wouldn't book a non-refundable). Then wait about 24 hours and send the B&B an email to confirm dates and room type. As long as they see it, you're good to go.

3) Just to let you know, I very rarely book on Expedia. I prefer some other sites like Orbitz that typically have a 15% coupon code available or hotels.com which have their own reward program. Expedia doesn't give you much.

I think it is a case of what the pp said- Expedia is given a certain number/types of rooms to book for the hotel.
I've used Expedia several times to book and have always gotten the room I booked.
As long as the terms say you can cancel without penalty I would book the room you want, then call the B&B and confirm it (even though Expedia will tell you there is no need).

I can't imagine a small B&B handing over rooms to a site like Expedia???
Larger resorts, cruises, etc.. might do this. As, yes, they can 'block' rooms.
We have had luck with this when visiting Dolly's Dreammore Resort.

I would check other web-sites, such as Cheaptickets and Orbitz...
We have seen better coupon code discounts on Cheaptickets lately, even though they are basically one and the same.

If it is fully cancellable... which it often is on the web-sites I mention, up until the date set by the Resort/Inn, then you are taking no risk.

I would also continue to try to get a hold of the Inn directly.
I would be very wary about a place that is that small, remote, and does not answer communication in a somewhat timely manner.

That same thing happen to me once, I called them up, got a real nice man, and he went and looked at there website and seen it for himself, he says he thinks he might no whats happening, but I should just book it and if they cant give me what i want, call him and he will fix me up. I decided not to do it but he sounded sincere, gave me his name and extension

I mostly book through Expedia and have never had a problem. I have even booked under the circumstances you described.

I second what PP stated to double check that’s it’s the same place because there are places with similar names.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter