Seeking Cruise Line Advice

webcreatrix

DIS Veteran
I have taken one cruise, a "girls" trip without my family, on Royal. It was a southern Caribbean cruise sailing out of PR. This was in 2012 (?). Since then, I've been dying to get my family on a cruise, but we always end up at Disney World, or the last two years at Disneyland. I'd really like to finally get them on a ship this summer or next, but I'm having trouble deciding on a cruise.

We live in Texas, so cruising out of Galveston seems obvious, but I am looking at 3 potential cruises, each with their own benefits and am hoping someone can help me figure out which cruise provides the best overall experience for my group, so we can hopefully do this again. DH is reluctant cruiser.

My kids are DS13 and DD16 this year and here are the options we're looking at:
  • Carnival Freedom out of Galveston: I am not sure this is the ship for us, but my sister and her family are cruising on this ship in June. Ship doesn't appeal at all. DH hates smoking and drinking, of which my sister and her husband will do a lot, probably on their balcony. My cousins and nieces, while we love them, are not my kids' ages - they are 30, 11, and 6. I don't feel like this ship has a lot to offer my kids, DH will hate it if it's a "party ship", and I just like Royal better?!? But it is the only chance we've ever had to vacation with my sister and family. Itinerary is Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Jamaica. Fun for kids seems to be a slide and sports court.
  • Royal Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston: Shrek is going away, which is a disappointment for my kids, but they have a skating rink, rock climbing, flow rider, slides, etc. Activities here go above and beyond Carnival as far as I can tell. Itinerary is Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Jamaica.
  • Magic 5 or 6 nights (?) out of Miami for Christmas or Spring Break: I have to dig deep to get to the same price as sailing out of Galveston, plus add airfare. Love the Key West, Nassau, Castaway Cay itinerary though. It's my impression that the ship and service may be nicer than Royal? We do love Disney, but not sure my kids will be into characters and shows at this age.
Can anyone offer their experience on any of these ships, lines, or destinations to help me choose? I kind of feel like I should take this one opportunity to cruise with family, but my concern is my husband or kids being disappointed in their first cruise experience. I'd still like to sail Alaska and the Mediterranean in upcoming years.

Edited to add: I can also currently get an inside and balcony on a "good" deck for Royal, but Carnival options are limited to all of us in a Spa balcony at the top and forward on the Freedom until someone cancels. We'd ideally have two cabins very close to each other. I'm not finding any on the Carnival ship. :(

Last edited:
I've never been on Liberty but I have been on her sister ships Independence and Freedom. My kids had a great time.

During her teenage years, our DD loved the Freedom and all its activities. Check out what your family can do while in port as well.

I'd go with Liberty. The ports look good and the ship itself would give you a lot to do that the kids would enjoy. Generally we prefer Carnival but that ship is probably not the best option, and since you mention you would have two cabins on Liberty that would be a better bet I think. I think Liberty has the added water slides that would be a lot of fun as well.

Grand Cayman is awesome, we did a private excursion that was my son's favourite - we were on a yacht and went out to the sting rays, then did some snorkeling, then to a beach for lunch and finally we were driven back to the boat. It was an amazing day. Cozumel there are so many options, depending what you want to do! Jamaica, well some people don't like it, personally I want to climb Dunn's (there is zipling and things like that as well, or beaches, or Blue Hole which is supposed to be amazing).

Your choice if you want to get any type of drink package, if the kids like pop/soda it might be a good option. The nice thing about Royal is they have a bunch of choices of packages.

We have been on Freedom of the Seas, sister ship to Liberty, and my kiddo loved the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!