Sedona for two nights - what should we do?

starshine514

DIS Veteran
So, we're staying in Sedona for 2 nights mid-May. We arrive on Friday and leave on Sunday, with 9:00 - 10:30 am on Saturday reserved for a timeshare presentation (in exchange for our resort stay). We'll have our girls, 6 and 8, with us. What should we do? Hiking is out - DH can't even walk a quarter of a mile. Most of the activities seem outdoorsy, which usually involves a lot of walking. I would love to see (and photograph) the area, though.

We were throwing around the idea of driving up to the Grand Canyon on Saturday - should we, or just stay in Sedona?

Go for a jeep tour -- the driver will take you up close and personal over the rocks.

Also visit Tlaquapaque (means the best of everything) -- very nice shopping center. http://www.tlaq.com/

Along the main road of Sedona are a lot of places to stop and take pictures of the famous Red Rocks. You need to get a Red Rock pass to park at any of them. There is a visitor center where you can get one. Also, you need to check out Red Rock Crossing. It is the most photographed area of Sedona.

A jeep tour is a good idea for seeing Sedona without hiking.

The Grand Canyon is about 3-4 hours away from Sedona, so kind of hard to do in one day.

If you backtrack to Cottonwood, there are some Indian ruins to explore (Tuzigoot) as well as the Out of Africa Wildlife Park.

16 miles north of Sedona is a lookout vista. The highway climbs through a series of switchbacks to the top of the canyon where the scenic vista is. There is ample parking available there. At the vista is a paved walkway along the edge of the canyon with incredible views. It's a flat walkway, no hiking involved. There are also local Indians here selling their arts and crafts.

20 miles east of Sedona is Cottonwood where a very fun western dinner theater is located. Great food, ribs, chicken, corn etc. and really fun entertainment with singing, jokes, skits etc. Horse Carriage rides, western shops are also there. Fun for kids and all! http://blazinm.com/

Thank you all for the suggestions! I think we may concentrate on Sedona and save the Grand Canyon for another trip. I'll definitely look into the jeep tours and Indian ruins and the girls might enjoy the animal park.

Are there any restaurants that my unadventurous family has to try?

Slide rock! Your kids will love it! Also the drive up to the vista thru Oak Creek canyon is beautiful. Cottonwood has a few wineries as well. They are ok.. Arizona stronghold probably has the best taste of the bunch and is owned by the lead singer of tool who sometimes works and talks to visitors.

Slide rock! Your kids will love it! Also the drive up to the vista thru Oak Creek canyon is beautiful. Cottonwood has a few wineries as well. They are ok.. Arizona stronghold probably has the best taste of the bunch and is owned by the lead singer of tool who sometimes works and talks to visitors.

Slide Rock might be a bit too cold mid-May. However, the location just to walk around is beautiful.

We love Alacantara winery. Some of the best wines in AZ. Partly because the owners are from Lodi Ca. and get most of their grapes from there.

Slide rock! Your kids will love it!

If you park in the pull outs on either end of Midgely Bridge there is a short easy trail to hike down to the creek on the south end of the bridge. At the creek is a slide area much longer than slide rock and only a few people there.

If you park in the pull outs on either end of Midgely Bridge there is a short easy trail to hike down to the creek on the south end of the bridge. At the creek is a slide area much longer than slide rock and only a few people there.

Thank you! I'm totally hoping to be able to find all these places via google. I really have no idea as to where to start and where would be good to see, so these suggestions are wonderful!

We did the Pink Jeep Tour...the children loved it. Just a word of warning, it is a bumpy ride, but great to see views and the outskirts. We had the jeep to ourselves.

Have fun!

FWIW - there are other jeep tour companies, at least there were a couple years ago. I can't recall the name, but one of them had a cowboy theme. We used both them and Pink Jeeps . . . Both did a great job.

Our whole family loves this place: www.oaxacarestaurant.com/

It is right in the center of uptown and great for any meal - breakfast is really good too!

The Hitching Post is a basic coffee shop - the food isn't fancy but it is still a cool place.

Another vote for a Pink Jeep tour and for Slide Rock. With all the vacations we've taken, both DSs still ask to return to Sedona.:cloud9:

We went horseback riding at M Diamond Ranch ( I think that is the name). If your husband can't do that he can wait at the ranch with your younger child & the younger one will get to ride a smaller horse in a corral. Then there is a cowboy breakfast or dinner (depending on the time you go). Our family loved this experience. My kids were 10, 9, 6 at the time. They still talk about the experience.

We also did the Pink Jeep Tour & loved it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter