• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Security re: personal bikes and rental golf carts

FredS

DIS Veteran
We would like to rent a golf cart one or two days, and plan to bring our personal bikes for occasional use. I have never camped at FW but have visited a couple of times and am trying to remember if I've seen bikes left, for instance, at the marina and if they were secured to something. Or maybe they are NOT to be left unattended in the FW area??

Also, I have seen tons of golf carts sitting around, but don't know if there is the possibility of someone else getting one's rented cart or if they are strictly operated by individual keys.

Sorry for the newbie questions!

Originally posted by FredS
We would like to rent a golf cart one or two days, and plan to bring our personal bikes for occasional use. I have never camped at FW but have visited a couple of times and am trying to remember if I've seen bikes left, for instance, at the marina and if they were secured to something. Or maybe they are NOT to be left unattended in the FW area??

Also, I have seen tons of golf carts sitting around, but don't know if there is the possibility of someone else getting one's rented cart or if they are strictly operated by individual keys.

Sorry for the newbie questions!

The golf carts have individual keys for each one. So no one can steal it. (I wouldn't leave personal stuff in though....but I have seen people do it and it has been fine...I wouldn't though).

As far as bikes, I have always just parked my bike at the rack at the marina or even the Meadow pool without a lock and had no problem. Now...if I were going to one of the theme parks for the day....I would then lock it up and not live it all day unattended at the marina. Just my thoughts.

We don't bother with locking up our bikes if we are just hanging out at the pool, movie, or other things at FW. We do however lock up our bikes if we ride them to the marina with plans on being off at a park or resort hopping for some time. Nothing fancy, just a Wal-Mart bike lock cable. We get a longer one and secure all three of our bikes with the same cable.

We never feel the need to do this if we choose to drive someplace in the car and leave the bikes at the campsite. We figure if we trust them not to slit open our pop up and get at what's inside there, we may as well assume that they won't lift our bikes from our campsite either.

-lori

We generally lock our bikes up. Although I have never heard of a problem with bike theft at FW, I don't want to be the first victim.

:(

Originally posted by loriandmatt
We don't bother with locking up our bikes if we are just hanging out at the pool, movie, or other things at FW. We do however lock up our bikes if we ride them to the marina with plans on being off at a park or resort hopping for some time. Nothing fancy, just a Wal-Mart bike lock cable. We get a longer one and secure all three of our bikes with the same cable.

We never feel the need to do this if we choose to drive someplace in the car and leave the bikes at the campsite. We figure if we trust them not to slit open our pop up and get at what's inside there, we may as well assume that they won't lift our bikes from our campsite either.

-lori

I totally agree with you on that one. We also have a popup and if they really wanted to steal anything, they can just peel back the velco on the popup or just cut it and have what ever they want from it. We don't leave anything of "value" in our popup anyways....money, etc.

nope- those things get hidden out of view and locked in the car OR toted with us OR locked in the safe they have available at the "front desk". (where you check in)

- lori

We didn't lock our bikes at the marina, and we were gone all day to the parks. We didn't lock them anywhere at the campground, and they were fine.

In "normal life", we always lock up our bikes when going anywhere. But the logic against it was that if a kid stole our bike, his father or mother would see it when they packed up to leave the cg, and he would get caught.

Of course, if an adult had stolen our bikes, than my logic would not apply. :D

Cluemeister

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter