Second Car

dcwesley

Earning My Ears
My parents will be making their first trip to WDW in late February. They will be staying at Fort Wilderness in a preferred loop in their motorhome and with a tag vehicle.

I have a two-day business seminar, based at Coronado Springs at the same time and will be staying with them. I am hoping to fit in a little fun around the edges, but time at the parks will be at a premium since my days will be filled with work.

I am trying to decide if I should rent a car. I don't want to use my father's as I believe he will need it to transport my mother at times.

I know that if I rent a car I will be unable to park it at their campsite. So where do I park it?

I am hoping one morning to have breakfast at Rain Forest Cafe (does anyone know when they open for breakfast), dash into Animal Kingdom with early entry (if the park opens at 9:00, is EE at 8:00, and is that whne it really opens?), and then rush off to my seminar in time for 9:00. I know that this means the most I might do is explore the Oaisis, but that is much better than nothing. (I have only been to WDW once myslef - six years ago). I am guessing the only way to make that (and some similar schemes) work is to have a car.

Also, my mother is semi-ambulatory, and will be using a wheelchair borrowed from Fort Wilderness for much of the trip. Has anybody had experience with the internal bus system & wheelchairs? I am sure she will not want to stay in a wheelchair to get on the bus. Will my father have problems loading it on the bus or should he always drive?

Thanks for all of your help.

Extra vehicles must be parked at the reception outpost parking lot. Travel to the site will be by bus, or your parents can pick you up.

Let your parents know to tell the CM who checks them in that you will need a resort ID card and a parking pass for your car.

With that pass you can park at AK or other parks no charge.

I always find it easier to drive to any location other than the MK, and then I take the boat. All busses are now equipped with wheelchair lifts so your mom can stay in the chair if she wants. There is also space in all busses to park and secure the wheelchair.

I'm sorry but I can't say I would go into AK for an hour. That hour with the least expensive hopper pass is going to cost you about $45. I would take the time and have breakfast with your parents at the Trails End and then explore the marina area for an hour. I think it would be almost as much fun and cost a lot less.

Originally posted by dcwesley
Has anybody had experience with the internal bus system & wheelchairs?

Post this question over on the disAbilities board and you'll get lots of helpful info!

Have fun 'stealing' time from work for fun!!

with all the vehicles and campers i saw on sites over x-mas i would leave the extra vehicle at the site until they say something. fair is fair....;)

When I camped there summer before last my mother came to visit me. She was just out of chemo & hadn't gotten all her energy back. So I went to the check-in desk to ask about her coming & going for a few days. They told me to meet her at the parking lot & use my pass to let her thru the gate with her car & she would be allowed to park at my site. I never mentioned her fatigue problem...they just offered. I suggest you do the same & park the extra vehicle at the site. They just don't want people driving around the campground. They want you to park it, leave it, & use their transportation after that. It's a good plan too...would be way to much traffic otherwise.

:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter