Seaworld - Dine with Shamu

Thanks, Piglet. A little pricey, my DD is 11 so $32 times 3. I'll keep watching the boards to see if people think it's worth it. Since DD thinks she wants to be a Marine Biologist (along with every other third kid these days) it might be. Diana

I went recently and I would recommend it only for hardcore Shamu fans.

After the razzle-dazzle of the Shamu show, the experience here will seem tame. There is one orca involved and he does some mild leaps but nothing big enough to soak the seating area (although they do warn you might get wet). And he comes out onto a shallow lip area once or twice.

Other than that its fairly routine show and tell, with the trainer giving some "fun facts" about orcas and caring for them and then taking questions -- which have to be shouted across the pool.

If your child really wants to be a trainer, this is a good chance to meet one in person (and get a photo).

The food is bland but plentiful. You definitely don't come here for a fine dining experience. Beer and wine is included in the price.

The whole experience, meal and all, lasts less than an hour.

The food is bland but plentiful. You definitely don't come here for a fine dining experience. Beer and wine is included in the price.

I just ate there a week ago and beer and wine is NOT included in the price. Lemonade, water, iced tea or soda is included.

Do you get to be close to Shamu in the picture? Do you get to touch Shamu at any time - during the show or at the lunch?
Thanks!

If you are in the first row of tables you are approx. 6' feet away, and no you cannot touch Shamu. It is a wonderful experience and I got some great pictures.

My 8 year old DD and I did this meal in December. It is one of those things that I am glad we did but would not do it again. You really pay for the atmosphere not the food. Our pictures of Shamu are awesome. The meal itself was nothing to write home about that is for sure!!!!! The one very cool thing that they had was huge butter cookies shaped like Shamu.

I went on Feb. 28 for my birthday with DF. I really enjoy Seaworld and really love marine mammals so I felt that this was a must do experience. The meal was nothing to write home about but not horrible, especially for theme park dining, I actually preferred the kids buffet to the adult one, But that is just my taste. The service for drinks was a little slow as well, but they did provide unsweetened tea and lemonade on the table upon arrival. The view was great they had the largest whale and one of the older females doing tricks and showing how they learn to perform. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and excepted the fact that the food was only mediocre. I would recommend this for anyone who really enjoys the Shamu show, or who would like to be a trainer one day, because it is very informative, but otherwise it may be a pricey disappointment. I however did enjoy this dinner/show very much and would recommend it to anyone who likes the Seaworld experience.

DD and I must have had a different experience than most responding. We loved it, and DD would be really disappointed if we didn't go again. We went mid-summer 2002 (was very new at the time). DD and I thought the kids food was pretty typical (not good - but then we don't care for hot dogs and macaroni and cheese) but the adult food was pretty good. It didn't seem bland, although it wouldn't compare to Emeril's or a great gourmet meal. We had a lot to choose from on the adult buffet table. The dessert wasn't anything special. Our server was very nice. DD and I loved the close-up experience with the whale and trainers. We were right in front and got fabulous pictures of the whale a few feet away up on the shallow area. The trainers talked one-on-one with people afterward and made it really enjoyable, especially for kids. I didn't think the price was bad, especially when I am used to paying for the character meals at WDW. Granted, DD loves science and SeaWorld, so it may just depend on your children and what they enjoy. We definitely didn't go expecting "razzle dazzle" like the Shamu show. I guess it all depends on your expectations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter