Sea world Disability and carer discounts?

Kbrb

Mouseketeer
I posted this in the sea world thread but here might be a better place. I read a while back sea world where offering discounts for disabled guests and carers? Is this still the case. If so what proof do you have to take to the park? Im travelling to Disney in October from the uk with my DS and would like to take him for the day.

Many thanks

Does the official SeaWorld site not provide this information?

Not that i can see no. I have tried emailing them but have had no reply. The only thing i can find is links to trip adviser and other sites but they are quite old hence i thought someone where may be able to shed some light.

I dont want to rock up there and find its not available or that i have the wrong type of proof.

Does the official SeaWorld site not provide this information?

No it doesn't I just looked myself.

OP, the last time I could dig up any info on a caregiver's discount was a forum post from several years ago, so I think your best bet is to call SeaWorld directly. With more theme parks bringing attractions up to ADA code, there is less of a need for a discounted ticket for someone who in the past would have "sat out" rides as a caregiver with a disabled person. IF it's still offered, you may have to purchase that kind of ticket day-of...in the past it appears it was only available as a single day ticket anyway.

Good luck!

I would be highly surprised if a U.S. location is offering this type of discount. I understand it's pretty common in some other countries, though. The U.S. does not have any kind of official national registry or way to identify "disabled" individuals, which leaves it rather questionable how to determine qualification for such a discount. As PP's suggest, I would call (I assume you are calling from overseas and that isn't ideal, but the best way to get your answer).

Enjoy your vacation!

Sea world has very few rides. most of which are roller coaster/thrill rides. There’s no need to offer any reduced price entry based on a patrons inability to enjoy them

The last info detailed info I saw was about 10 years ago, then an article about 5 years ago saying they had eliminated the carer goes free aspect but still had the 50% discount for disabilities offered.

Hopefully you get some updated information. Keep in mind that since that last article, SeaWorld has become a Certified Autism Center and has added a lot of options to increase disability access. I do not know your son's disability but a few other sites reported that autism and cognitive disabilities were no longer considered eligible for the discount with the updates.

It would still be helpful to know exactly what it their current policy!

Here we go guys and gals they got back to me today. I have asked about my ds severe asd in terms of the below. I will update once the reply comes back

SeaWorld® Orlando offers a discount for guests with disabilities and one support companion. This discount is intended for guests who are not able to reasonably enjoy our park (blind, deaf, and wheelchair dependent). Persons who are eligible for this rate will receive a 50% discount off the regular single day admission price. The current regular admission price is $105.99 plus tax for adults and $100.99 plus tax for children ages three to nine. This discount is only available at the park on the day of your visit and is valid towards the purchase of up to two (2) SeaWorld® Orlando Single Day Tickets. Please stop by any open ticket window upon your arrival for additional details.

“We can’t determine eligibility; please visit a ticket window when you visit to request the discount”

That seems fair enough I guess I will have to take my chances and see whats what.

I would be highly surprised if a U.S. location is offering this type of discount. I understand it's pretty common in some other countries, though. The U.S. does not have any kind of official national registry or way to identify "disabled" individuals, which leaves it rather questionable how to determine qualification for such a discount. As PP's suggest, I would call (I assume you are calling from overseas and that isn't ideal, but the best way to get your answer).

Enjoy your vacation!
This will be surprising (it surprised me), but actually, while it is on the west coast, The San Diego Zoo and The San Diego Zoo's Safari Park both allow the carer free admission (and free rides on the Skyride, bus tours, etc.), both the disabled person and the carer will need to stop at the ticket booth to get the free ticket, also the ticket for the disabled person can be any form of valid admission, including comp tickets, annual passes, etc.

They also will provide special assistance for those who are blind, as long as the assistance is requested at least 72 hours in advance.

There are many other places in the U.S. that do offer similar deals, I know Sea World San Diego does, but often the 50% discount for the disabled guest and the carer is not the best discount available for Sea World (always check their website, Costco, etc.), so few people use it.

NOTE: Since this has a monetary value, this is a case where proof of disability can be required.

Having previously researched this for my dad before he passed, the requirements to qualify for the discount at Sea World, at least in California, they require one of the following:
  • A copy of the paperwork for a disabled parking placard and a government issued matching photo ID.
  • A copy of disabled bus transit pass from a transit agency and matching government issued photo ID.
  • A copy of a disability eligibility form and matching government issued photo ID (copy of disability pay stub may also be accepted)
  • A government issued photo ID that identifies the person as disabled (For example in California, a non driver ID may contain this information since they may not need a disabled placard but may still need proof of disability for purposes of getting a bus transit pass, etc.)
  • A notarized doctors note dated within the past 3 months MAY be accepted as well, but that is at the discretion of the person at the ticket booth.
NOTE: You will want to confirm the requirements, as these are from about 4 years ago now, but my guess is they are similar.

Here we go guys and gals they got back to me today. I have asked about my ds severe asd in terms of the below. I will update once the reply comes back

SeaWorld® Orlando offers a discount for guests with disabilities and one support companion. This discount is intended for guests who are not able to reasonably enjoy our park (blind, deaf, and wheelchair dependent). Persons who are eligible for this rate will receive a 50% discount off the regular single day admission price. The current regular admission price is $105.99 plus tax for adults and $100.99 plus tax for children ages three to nine. This discount is only available at the park on the day of your visit and is valid towards the purchase of up to two (2) SeaWorld® Orlando Single Day Tickets. Please stop by any open ticket window upon your arrival for additional details.
Given that Sea World is now "Autism certified" and deals with guests with Autism every day, I would not expect a 50% discount. In my experience that discount is intended for those (as stated in you reply) that cannot see the shows/animals (due to blindness), wheelchair bound and unable to ride rides (although I do know someone in a wheelchair who DOES transfer to rides).

You may be better off watching for a ticket sale to get a discount. I don't know when you are going, they may have a sale now and they usually have a good sale towards the end of May.

Given that Sea World is now "Autism certified" and deals with guests with Autism every day, I would not expect a 50% discount. In my experience that discount is intended for those (as stated in you reply) that cannot see the shows/animals (due to blindness), wheelchair bound and unable to ride rides (although I do know someone in a wheelchair who DOES transfer to rides).

You may be better off watching for a ticket sale to get a discount. I don't know when you are going, they may have a sale now and they usually have a good sale towards the end of May.
It depends on the disability, but in general the purpose of the 50% discount for the guest and the carer is to essentially cover the cost of the carer's admission, as they are medically necessary for the person with the disability and for all intents and purposes are now considered medical equipment, just as a service animal would be allowed in for free, as they are considered medical equipment. Now obviously a person is different than medical equipment or a service animal, but Sea World had explained to me that this was the reason for the discount. It is the same reason San Diego Zoo gives the carer free admission, Sea World just took a different approach. And obviously they are not legally required to do this, otherwise Disney would offer something similar, but they do choose to offer it for whatever reasons they see fit, so might as well use it if it applies to you and if it is the best deal for your situation.

But just like with the DAS, no one here can tell the OP if they will or will not qualify, only Sea World can tell them that when they get there. I would still watch for deals and if any are close to 50% (many times you can get a better discount than that), I would take it, as that is a guaranteed deal rather than risking it, but use this as a backup option.

That’s the way it works in the uk. The discount is based on the person requiring a carer in order to enter the park.

I will watch the prices online as the Uk pushes 14 day passes.

Last edited:
That’s the way it works in the uk. The discount is based on the person requiring a carer in order to enter the park.

I will watch the prices online as the Uk pushes 14 day passes.
Yeah, it is interesting that our laws don't actually require this, but there are places that offer it. You can also try the U.S. site (using a VPN if necessary) at https://seaworld.com/orlando/limited-time-offers/

Another option is to use Groupon: https://www.groupon.com/coupons/stores/seaworldparks.com

There are many other options as well.

i can give you our experience, last march, we waited in line at guest service, explained my sons autism diagnosis, i remember the counter younger lady was unaware or too inexperienced to help, another woman jumped in and i explained the das pass i had at Disney and she offered a white piece of paper that had all available rides for an express ride kind of access, we used the express lane or exit to enter ride, there was always an attendant who checked the white paper, if the express line was over 20 min they stamped it to come back, it worked nicely, hard to keep a white paper from getting soaked on water rides, but it was a game-changer for us, i used it to sit up front during shows that was great, some crowds were crazy, they also have an autism quiet room. aquatica had no use for this pass, didnt help at all.

This is a link to Sea World Orlando’s general disability page:
https://seaworld.com/orlando/help/guests-with-disabilities/

And, a link to help page and questionnaire for Guest and Ride Accessibility.
https://seaworld.com/orlando/help/The questionnaire says to fill it out ahead of time and bring it with to the park, and the help page also gives an email and phone number for more information.

The Seaworld Accessibility Guide has information about attractions and explains their Rider Access Pass, how it works, and attractions it can’t be used on.

Their website used to have very visible information about disability discount, which it specified was for guests with wheelchairs who needed an accompanying person. The reason given was that many of their attractions were not wheelchair accessible. My guess (only a guess) was that they removed it because of changes in accessibility and the easy ability to find it meant people who didn’t actually avoid any attractions were requesting it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!