Scotland - Reviews & Packing Tips

mcgrawfamily

Earning My Ears
We are heading in June on the ABD Scotland trip. For those of you who have been there can you provide any tips on what type of clothes to bring given the weather? Also are there any current reviews?

Thank you!

We were in Scotland in sept before the Disney transatlantic Cruise. We did our own driving trip. It was unseasonably hot. But the weather changes quickly. And if you are by the ocean it will be windy and cool. You will want layers that come off and on easily. It’s beautiful and very easy to do on your own.

We were there last June, as Chirple mentioned. We were lucky on the weather. It was cool and mostly dry. (We had 1.5 rainy days out of 10). The following week, there was a heat wave and it was in the 80s, which would not have been enjoyable for me.

I would recommend layers. We brought t-shirts with flannels and sweatshirts to layer over them, fleece jackets and light rain jackets. Then we added or subtracted layers as needed. For footwear, I would recommend a lightweight waterproof hiking sneaker. My husband and I only had our heavy duty hiking boots with us and there was no need for them because there is no real hiking on the trip to speak of. We would have been more comfortable with waterproof sneakers like my son had.

Happy to answer any questions you have on the trip. I really like the itinerary; there were things I would not have thought to see on my own that wound up being highlights for us (notably Floors Castle and the driving day between Edinburgh and the Highlands).

ETA: trip report link https://www.disboards.com/threads/me-these-two-and-a-heelan-coo-scotland-june-2018.3690195/

Whether something is worth it is always tough to say. We enjoyed the trip and do not regret having gone or the money we spent. That would seem to suggest that it was worth it for us. The trip has also definitely had an impact on my son. He picked up some knight and highlander action figures on the trip and, from there, has developed an interest in medieval times. He was even a knight for Halloween last year. Before Scotland, he did not have any interest in history (other than natural history).

Our main disappointment -- and really the only reason we would hesitate to book another ABD -- was the lack of younger kids on the trip. We were hoping for playmates for our son, who is an only child. I can tell you that an 18 year old would have fit right into the group we traveled with. There were a number of teens as well as some young adults (18 to 21 range). So the only downside for us is something that doesn't really apply to you.

Putting that all together, as long as the itinerary is something that interests your family, I would think that the trip will be worth it for you. You might also check out the thread called something along the lines of "Is ABD worth it?" for other people's perspectives on this question.

Thank you all! @Jess_S - do you think the trip was worth it? We are taking our 18 yr old son for his graduation.

Not @Jess_S but I'll say if your son has expressed an interest in Scotland I'm sure y'all will enjoy it. It's an amazing country (I've been 1-2x a year for the past 6 years) with gorgeous scenery and interesting people. My DD is graduating this year, too, so congrats!

ETA-I agree with layers. I've been in every season and jeans/leggings, t-shirts, hoodies, a good pair of flats and even a pair of boots are helpful. An umbrella and rain jacket aren't a bad idea, either.

We are thinking about this trip the last weekend in June. When are you going?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!