Scooter vs. Powerchair vs. PERSONALLY OWNED Manual Wheelchair on a Disney Cruise?

Groot

I am Groot
Ok, now this is going to be WAAAAAY down the road, but I’m thinking of going on a Disney Cruise in the next few years. (And mods, feel free to move the thread over to the cruise section.) But there’s one thing that I’m not sure about.

If I do a cruise, it’ll most likely be a land/sea cruise. I’ll most likely be renting a scooter for the land part, but for the cruise, would it be the best to have a scooter on board (I’m doubtful of this because I’ve heard that because of the buses, scooters ain’t allowed on the islands.), or a powerchair (most likely be rented since I’m afraid of taking it on the plane and heard horror stories of how the grounds crew treated other people’s powerchairs. I’ll also need to know if the rental powerchairs are either Midwheel or Rear wheel drive, since I’m most comfortable driving those two types. I’ve tried a front wheel powerchair once, but couldn’t get the gist on how to drive it.), or just bringing my own personal manual wheelchair with me, and only using it for the cruise part. (I can push myself if it’s set up for my needs (i.e. no armrests, ultralightweight, etc.))

FYI, the manual shown below is the one in question. 575DDCEB-2B0D-4C1D-954D-75C86C69B5B7.jpeg

So, what should I do?

Contact the rental companies. Few, if any, posters here rent power chairs, so would be unable to advise what type of drive is available - or will be some years down the road when you book. Tell the companies your plans and ask for advice.

I think the mobility device you use will really depend on your personal needs. Things to consider include: Do you use it full time? Are you able to walk, with a cane or walker or rollator? Are you capable of wheeling yourself manually every day throughout the ship and ports, or will you have someone with you to push? People do use ECVs onboard the ships. They also use manual wheelchairs. I guess it's your choice. Be aware that you will need to reserve an HA room if you wish to bring the ECV or a powerchair into your room; doorways into standard rooms are not wide enough and in most the layout isn't designed with space to store a large mobility device. HA rooms are designed differently.

I’ve heard that because of the buses, scooters ain’t allowed on the islands.

I haven't heard that specifically. What I do know is that many of the island locations on a Bahamian or Caribbean cruise are not particularly wheelchair-friendly. They don't have the same accessibility requirements that we have in the US. There may or may not be curbcuts, stairs without alternative access routes, etc. Some excursions may or may not be accessible -- sometimes due to transportation challenges (yes, many of the island "shuttles" are open-air and won't accommodate a non-folding mobility device or someone who can't transfer) or simply because the destination is not accessible.

I’ll also need to know if the rental powerchairs are either Midwheel or Rear wheel drive, since I’m most comfortable driving those two types.

You would need to ask those kinds of questions of the rental companies. Not many ECV/wheelchair rental companies rent powerchairs, and those that do may require that you use one at home (sounds like you do).

Enjoy your land & sea vacation!

Feel free to cross-post on the DCL Forum as well. As PP mentions, not a lot of cruisers visit the disABILITIES Forum. There are some on the DCL Forum who use a mobility device themselves, or a family member does, and could give you some feedback on accessibility around the ship and specific ports.

I think the mobility device you use will really depend on your personal needs. Things to consider include: Do you use it full time? Are you able to walk, with a cane or walker or rollator?

Yeah, but not for long distances (1/4 mile a day is my max limit on a good day.)

Are you capable of wheeling yourself manually every day throughout the ship and ports, or will you have someone with you to push?

The chair pictured in the OP is the manual that I’ll be using and it’ll be set up so that I can push it myself. (No arms, lightweight, etc.)

People do use ECVs onboard the ships. They also use manual wheelchairs. I guess it's your choice. Be aware that you will need to reserve an HA room if you wish to bring the ECV or a powerchair into your room; doorways into standard rooms are not wide enough and in most the layout isn't designed with space to store a large mobility device. HA rooms are designed differently.

I was going to get a handicap room anyways for the shower. Plus, have you seen the size of some of those balconies on YouTube?!?!

I haven't heard that specifically. What I do know is that many of the island locations on a Bahamian or Caribbean cruise are not particularly wheelchair-friendly. They don't have the same accessibility requirements that we have in the US. There may or may not be curbcuts, stairs without alternative access routes, etc. Some excursions may or may not be accessible -- sometimes due to transportation challenges (yes, many of the island "shuttles" are open-air and won't accommodate a non-folding mobility device or someone who can't transfer) or simply because the destination is not accessible.

Oh, okay.

You would need to ask those kinds of questions of the rental companies. Not many ECV/wheelchair rental companies rent powerchairs, and those that do may require that you use one at home (sounds like you do).

Yeah, I do. This is my current powerchair that I have at home (but in blue): 5559E748-E3F3-4241-A7E3-00B276D87127.jpeg

The majority of companies that rent power wheelchairs use the Jazzy Select shown in this picture from Walker’s website.
It’s a midwheel drive and looks very similar to your chair.

As the other posters mentioned, a scooter or power chair may not work the best for a cruise. Many of the outings will not be accessible.

F84ADDD2-8E22-4843-BD63-DA94582B6D4E.jpeg

I can’t use that on as its front wheel drive and not as familiar to me compared to a mid or rear wheel drive chair.

I can’t use that on as its front wheel drive and not as familiar to me compared to a mid or rear wheel drive chair.
If you look up the specifications for the Jazzy Select, it says it is a midwheel drive and you can see the front wheels are casters that are on the ground.
https://www.pridemobility.com/the-jazzy-select-6-a-truly-dependable-power-chair

Jazzy also has a front wheel drive that looks fairly similar, which is called Jazzy Select Elite. It has tiny wheels on the front that are probably just for stability when going up and down.

My daughter is on her third power chair. Her first one was an Invacare Arrow rear wheel drive. Her second one was an Invacare TDX mid wheel. Her current power chair is a Permobil F5 VS, which is a front wheel drive. So, she’s driven all 3. There was a bit of a learning curve switching between them.
When she the Invacare Arrow chair, there were some places that rented rear wheel drive wheelchairs, but all I’ve seen recently is the Jazzy Select (and one company rents a new more specialized wheelchair called the Whill wheelchair that drives quite a bit differently.

Hm... I wish more places rented powerchairs because I’m starting to think that’s the way to go on a cruise, you get the power and convenience of a scooter and the maneuverability of a manual all rolled up into one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter