Scooter rentals with "squeeze handles"

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
The kind that Buena Vista Scooters has, versus the kind with toggle accelerators that you push with your thumb, like Walker has? It's hard for me to describe any better, does that make sense? The only reason I stopped renting from Walker is because of that toggle-my thumb got so sore after a while (admittedly, I have a mild case of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome)-their service was excellent. I have no problem with BVS, but I'd like another option so that I can compare prices. Anyone know?

If you know the model you used from BV, check to see who rents that exact same model model. Call them, and make sure that they use a "squeeze" throttle, and not a thumb lever (or twist throttle) mechanism.

The reason I advocate for calling directly is because *how* they answer your questions on the phone may tell you a lot about their overall customer service prior to renting. Any place that won't take the time to answer a couple of easy questions might not be a place you want to rent from!

I didn’t know that there was anything other than thumb control available. Where can I find a picture of one. Does i the squeeze throttle work like the thumb control scooters. Thank you

Y'all, we *really* need to find some pictures of these different throttle types LOL. I just spent an hour on Google, and couldn't find (good) examples to post for @pmdeve

@pmdeve a "squeeze" throttle is generally one where you will have to pull or "squeeze" the throttle lever back to the steering mechanism on the ECV's tiller. So, there will be a little lever forward of the tiller control that is basically parallel to the tiller (steering) control, and your fingers have to pull that back on one side (or "squeeze" it) to make the unit go.

A thumb control is where you push the control that is typically on the user side of the tiller, against the tiller with your thumb.

My personal ECV has a twist throttle that has been converted to a thumb/palm control with a CrampBuster (available on Amazon) like many motorcycle riders use.

I have rented from Randy's Mobility for my last few trips - I have MS and two of my relapses have involved my right hand which is now nowhere near as strong or as controlled as it should be. This is the scooter I rented - the 3 wheel Pride Go Go Sport, their option for people less than 300lb. You pull the right hand tiller towards you for forwards and the left hand one towards you for reverse. Easy peasy. Your first finger slots nicely on the indent you can see in the picture.

You can also push the right one away for reverse, and push the left one away for forwards. One tiller on a central axis. So you can operate it one handed, and you can swap hands if one is tired.

I chose Randy's as we stay off-site and they are one of the few companys who deliver to a private address. I would recommed them, and this scooter, it pretty much can turn in it's own length so it's very manouverable.

Attachments

• 51TeZ-W5yIL.jpg
    51TeZ-W5yIL.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 21
  • l-pride-mobility-go-go-sport-3-wheel-scooter-7316-1941.jpg
    l-pride-mobility-go-go-sport-3-wheel-scooter-7316-1941.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 16
From what you have explained, I believe you are describing a Delta tiller. It is circular or oval and works with the hand rather than thumb only.
Buena Vista rents only Delta tillers. I also rented a Delta tiller scooter from Apple. I don’t know about other places.

Enjoy your trip!

I have rented from Randy's Mobility for my last few trips - I have MS and two of my relapses have involved my right hand which is now nowhere near as strong or as controlled as it should be. This is the scooter I rented - the 3 wheel Pride Go Go Sport, their option for people less than 300lb. You pull the right hand tiller towards you for forwards and the left hand one towards you for reverse. Easy peasy. Your first finger slots nicely on the indent you can see in the picture.

You can also push the right one away for reverse, and push the left one away for forwards. One tiller on a central axis. So you can operate it one handed, and you can swap hands if one is tired.

I chose Randy's as we stay off-site and they are one of the few companys who deliver to a private address. I would recommed them, and this scooter, it pretty much can turn in it's own length so it's very manouverable.
I love Randy's. I now have my own scooter, but I had such positive experiences with Randy. One time I needed an ECV at the last minute and Randy delivered it personally. He's great.

Y'all, we *really* need to find some pictures of these different throttle types LOL. I just spent an hour on Google, and couldn't find (good) examples to post for @pmdeve

@pmdeve a "squeeze" throttle is generally one where you will have to pull or "squeeze" the throttle lever back to the steering mechanism on the ECV's tiller. So, there will be a little lever forward of the tiller control that is basically parallel to the tiller (steering) control, and your fingers have to pull that back on one side (or "squeeze" it) to make the unit go.

A thumb control is where you push the control that is typically on the user side of the tiller, against the tiller with your thumb.

My personal ECV has a twist throttle that has been converted to a thumb/palm control with a CrampBuster (available on Amazon) like many motorcycle riders use.

I posted this in a different thread some time ago:

The differences between scooters was reinforced to me this weekend when I rented an ECV at the Toronto Zoo. The forward/backward mechanism was similar to the Walker ECV I rented for a previous WDW trip and which I did NOT like: you hold the handle with your hands, but use your thumb to push the activation bar toward the handle. My thumbs were REALLY unhappy with me after about an hour and it just got worse. This is with taking frequent pauses to walk around an exhibit, too.

The ECVs I have rented from Buena Vista Scooters have a different mechanism of action: your fingers are what pull the activation bar towards the hand-holding bar. I found this MUCH easier to do. And if some fingers get upset you can just use a couple to pull it. Much easier to be using a whole-hand gripping motion vs a thumbs only griping motion. And I could adjust how I held my hand and how I moved the lever as needed according to pain and unhappy joints.

In this picture you can see the little thumb tab at the bottom of the large "box". That tab is what you push in/forward toward the hand grip. There is one on each side -- one is forward, one is reverse. That is the Walker style device (and also toronto zoo and who knows where else). http://www.wdwfanzone.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/100_9333-300x225.jpg

This pictures shows a diagram of I guess it is the WDW scooters. Apparently that fwd/rev tab-thing is the "throttle control" :-) http://land.allears.net/blogs/guestblog/ECV-controls.jpg

This is a link to the PDF owners manual for Buena Vista's standard model scooter. On page 19 is a diagram of the controls: http://scootermobilitywarehouse.pridedealer.com/pdf/Owners_Manuals/US_Scooter/US_Celebrity_X_om.pdf You can see how the throttle control lever is "inside" the handles ring and how it is a "bar" lever you pull towards you with the fingers.

For me, an ECV is the only way I can handle doing the parks (or, even, four hours at the Zoo). We discovered on one trip that my limit for doing it without a scooter is about 3 hours and by then I am in a LOT of pain. With a scooter, used strategically, I can go all day. I will often "park" in an area and do the two or three nearby rides by walking instead of taking the ECV through the lines; but sometimes I am too sore to do that so the ECV comes with. But having the ECV gives me the flexibility to ride most of the time and walk when I am up to it. It is especialy good for the long distances between areas.

Thanks, looks good! At least now I have another company to compare with. However, unfortunately when I went to the website it was "Unavailable" and I don't remember any reviews of Randy's.

Thanks, looks good! At least now I have another company to compare with. However, unfortunately when I went to the website it was "Unavailable" and I don't remember any reviews of Randy's.

You're welcome! That happened to me when I clicked one of the links online - this is the website.

randys mobility. net with a www infront of it and no gaps - don't think I'm allowed to post the address in full without getting into trouble!

Twist
img109-20-400.jpg

Thumb:
media.nl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter