Scooter rental on-site vs off-site

I just rented a scooter for the first time for a WDW trip a few weeks ago. I wrote a report here on the forum if you are interested. I had a wonderful experience with Gold Mobility, but would also consider renting from Scooter Bug for the convenience of using bell services for pickup and drop off. I got the Victory 10 3-wheel model and would choose it again easily, It had a great, long lasting battery and maneuvered very easily. I didn’t have any trouble turning it around corners in the ride queues. There is an optional basket that you can have attached to the back, which is great for shopping around Epcot, but it did make it harder to fit into the ECV spot on the buses. We took it off after the first day.

I plan on renting my first scooter for my trip in January. I need a scooter because I have a bad back and bad knee. After 20-30 min of standing or walking, I begin having pain. I can walk and if you look at me, I can step off that scooter and walk normally.

With that said, the scooter is primarily for the long days in the park. I’m trying to decide in this time of Covid would it be better to rent off-site or at Disney. I have heard in the past it can be hard to get a scooter onsite at the parks and the scooters go fast.

I want to be at the parks when they open so I’m thinking we need to wait in line to get on a bus or the skyliner (staying at CBR). I also know the lines in the parks are long too.

I totally see myself being able to walk around the resort or going to another resort or Disney Springs for dinner without the use of a scooter. That’s why I’m debating renting at the parks. I think I’m worried of how long the bus and skyliner lines are and how long the standing may be.

It’s sort of awkward for me because I do not use a mobility scooter at home. I have just experienced long walks and standing it is really bad on my back and knee.

Thoughts about which scenario would be better for me? Are the bus/skyliner wait times really long or? That’s probably going to be the deciding factor for me.
I just returned from a week at WDW, and I strongly recommend you rent from an off-site scooter vendor. WDW has changed their ECV's so that they only go VERY slow! So slow that people strolling by were passing me easily. I felt like I was crawling! Earlier in my stay I had rented from an off-site vendor, and their scooter was so much faster, and easier to get through the crowds. Until WDW changes their ECV's to go faster, I will never rent from them again.

Here now and renting an ECV from the approved rental company that can leave at bell services. This is my 3rd day and now have my 3rd ECV. First looked like it was run over by a truck! Battered, head lamp twisted left, seat torn. The brake engage did not work, ECV kept drifting. 2nd ECV in better shape but drained 1st battery after 2 hours. It and the second battery were charged overnight. Replaced 1st battery with 2nd and that did not work at all! Called for support. 1st call never got callback. 30 minutes later called again. On a bit of a rant by then. Was promised that another ECV would be delivered but would take an hour! We were stuck in the middle of HS for over 2 hours waiting for this company to make things right. I will never rent from this company again. I have used 2 others in the past and will go back to one of them for future trips. Quality and care of the devices very poor as was customer service.

Here now and renting an ECV from the approved rental company that can leave at bell services. This is my 3rd day and now have my 3rd ECV. First looked like it was run over by a truck! Battered, head lamp twisted left, seat torn. The brake engage did not work, ECV kept drifting. 2nd ECV in better shape but drained 1st battery after 2 hours. It and the second battery were charged overnight. Replaced 1st battery with 2nd and that did not work at all! Called for support. 1st call never got callback. 30 minutes later called again. On a bit of a rant by then. Was promised that another ECV would be delivered but would take an hour! We were stuck in the middle of HS for over 2 hours waiting for this company to make things right. I will never rent from this company again. I have used 2 others in the past and will go back to one of them for future trips. Quality and care of the devices very poor as was customer service.

Thanks for the report! That's so sad, that the only company that Disney allows the "privilege" of leaving at bell services would supply ECVs with that level of "quality" I wonder if a report to Disney disability services (accompanied by some pictures of the ECV) are in order

We went with a large group where several had mobility issues last week. It was also my first time renting a scooter for some nerve damage I have in my feet. 4 of us rented off site and had marvelous experiences. The scooters worked well, had long battery life, and were super easy to get around in. One of our group rented at the parks each morning. The line to rent in the park each morning was very long and took at least 20-30 minutes to pick it up. Then the scooters in the park were sooooo much slower than the off site rentals. Small children were passing her walking at normal pace. The park scooters also have a terrible turning radius and were difficult to maneuver in many of the line queues. The offsite rentals we had worked awesome the whole way around. Good luck. This was my best trip with mobility ever. I held out getting a scooter for a long time. When I finally broke down and got one this trip, it made the whole thing so much better! My one suggestion is to make sure you are renting a scooter with a 12 hour plus battery life so you don't have to plug it in part way through the day

I'm torn on giving a recommendation. If there was no pandemic, I'd say Gold Mobility all the way.
Buuut, Scooterbug seems to be very upfront on their website about their cleaning procedures and policies, which I didn't really see on Gold's site. I've rented from both and were happy with 3-wheeled ECVs from both. I like Gold Mobility better but I like how upfront Scooterbug is about cleaning their ECVs.
I think you'll be happy either way. I also like Scooterbug you can pick up and drop off at Bell Services and the process is very easy. GMS you have to meet them at the delivery truck (but the guys who do the drop offs and pick ups are also very nice!)

I'm torn on giving a recommendation. If there was no pandemic, I'd say Gold Mobility all the way.
Buuut, Scooterbug seems to be very upfront on their website about their cleaning procedures and policies, which I didn't really see on Gold's site. I've rented from both and were happy with 3-wheeled ECVs from both. I like Gold Mobility better but I like how upfront Scooterbug is about cleaning their ECVs.
I think you'll be happy either way. I also like Scooterbug you can pick up and drop off at Bell Services and the process is very easy. GMS you have to meet them at the delivery truck (but the guys who do the drop offs and pick ups are also very nice!)

*Any* vendor I would consider (Gold, Scooterbug, anyone) I would get on the phone and CALL them in person, and ask pointed questions about exactly what their cleaning procedures are between rentals and prior to drop off.

It's also a good time to ask them what their after hours/emergency policy is, in case there *is* an issue (poor battery performance, or some other physical issue like "won't go at all") with the rental. If they close the office at 6pm, and there is no after-hours way to contact them, then at least you know ahead of time not to wait if you sense a problem with the rental unit.

*Any* vendor I would consider (Gold, Scooterbug, anyone) I would get on the phone and CALL them in person, and ask pointed questions about exactly what their cleaning procedures are between rentals and prior to drop off.

It's also a good time to ask them what their after hours/emergency policy is, in case there *is* an issue (poor battery performance, or some other physical issue like "won't go at all") with the rental. If they close the office at 6pm, and there is no after-hours way to contact them, then at least you know ahead of time not to wait if you sense a problem with the rental unit.

This. Call and ask. Even if its on their website, the info can be outdated.

Also, FWIW, although I had to dig and find it, Gold had this on their social media page: "delivered certified sanitized by a uniformed and masked / gloved wearing employee". The don't specify what "certified sanitized" means. One would have to call to find out. They sanitized them even when we rented from them in December 2019, so that part is not new, though it is possible the extent is more. Again would have to call to find out more.

I do agree with the sentiment that I do like it when a company is upfront on their website with what their proceedures are. For example, when looking at pre-post hotels for our summer 2021 Alaska cruise [which at this point is probably going to be moved to 2022], an important factor for me was information on the hotel's website about what their covid procedures are. Some hotels were very upfront, while others had next to no info, and everything in between. Even though I still contacted the hotels of interest for more info, I really appreciated those who had the info on the website. Clearly and pubicly commit to what you are doing.

SW

Just remember a few things...
  • When crossing the rail tracks on Main St in MK, cross at a 90 degree angle to the rail so the wheels don't get stuck in the gap between the rails and the pavement.
  • Watch where you're going, a lot of people who are walking aren't looking out for people in ECV's. The horn is useless because everyone ignores them.
  • Practice a bit at your resort, especially speeding up and stopping quickly (letting go of the throttle)
  • Freshen up on parallel parking on the left side of the street. This is what you do on the bus. And the drivers will help you if needed.
  • Don't be afraid to drive it off the bus. It will just fit onto the ramp going off the bus and go slow on and off the bus otherwise you'll feel like it's either running away or will fall over.
  • Consider buying or renting a cup holder to hold a bottle of water or a drink.

I just returned from a week at CSR. I rented an ECV from Gold Mobility and was very happy with their scooter and their customer service. However, I did have a terrible time with the busses...there were quite a few people at the resort using scooters and 8/10 times leaving from the resort to go to a park I had to wait for multiple busses before there was space for the ECV. One morning i was out at bus stop at 6:50 am for a 9:00 am park opening at MK and did not get on a bus til 8:15! The busses came to my stop with the ECV spaces already full of either people or ECVs...they did not move the people seated in the ECV spaces but just told me to wait for another bus. One morning I finally went over to the first bus stop 90 min before park opening to wait for a bus. So although the ECVs at the parks are definitely slower and the cost is higher over multiple days I may just rent at parks next time.

I just returned from a week at CSR. I rented an ECV from Gold Mobility and was very happy with their scooter and their customer service. However, I did have a terrible time with the busses...there were quite a few people at the resort using scooters and 8/10 times leaving from the resort to go to a park I had to wait for multiple busses before there was space for the ECV. One morning i was out at bus stop at 6:50 am for a 9:00 am park opening at MK and did not get on a bus til 8:15! The busses came to my stop with the ECV spaces already full of either people or ECVs...they did not move the people seated in the ECV spaces but just told me to wait for another bus. One morning I finally went over to the first bus stop 90 min before park opening to wait for a bus. So although the ECVs at the parks are definitely slower and the cost is higher over multiple days I may just rent at parks next time.

I've always taken my scooter to the first bus stop at the larger resorts that have multiple stops to avoid what happened to you. With the current situation, unless you can walk a distance, getting an ECV in a park can be difficult.

I decided to go with Gold Mobility for our upcoming trip. I wanted to just get one at the parks, but with the reports of how slow they are it just won’t work with 2 fast moving people with me. Honestly, I think it’s going to be better all around having a seat any time I need it.

We have decided to postpone our trip again (3rd time) due to COVID. Our state has travel restrictions now. I’ll definitely refer t this thread when we try again later in the year. Off site sounds like the better bet!

We have decided to postpone our trip again (3rd time) due to COVID. Our state has travel restrictions now. I’ll definitely refer t this thread when we try again later in the year. Off site sounds like the better bet!

Had you already reserved your scooter with Gold Mobility? If so, don't forget to cancel it I just cancelled a trip, and DH had to remind me to cancel the scooter They were extremely nice and understanding, and we both look forward to doing business with each other in September

I'm working on a trip for my mom and she will need a scooter. What are the best off-site rental options? And will they all deliver to the resort? Even a Disney Springs resort?

The only vendor allowed to deliver via Bell Services at WDW resorts is Scooterbug. Other vendors will meet you in person at the resort, some using a set schedule and some making specific plans with you.

if you are staying off-site (including the Disney Springs area) you’ll want to confirm procedures based on your hotel.

I'm working on a trip for my mom and she will need a scooter. What are the best off-site rental options? And will they all deliver to the resort? Even a Disney Springs resort?

I was looking on the website for Gold Mobility and their list of resorts they deliver to is EXTENSIVE. Depending on how long your trip is, Gold may be the better option financially. Gold Mobility seems to be the most popular, with Scooterbug probably second. I've rented from both and have been happy with both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter