Scooter rental on-site vs off-site

slyster

DIS Veteran
I plan on renting my first scooter for my trip in January. I need a scooter because I have a bad back and bad knee. After 20-30 min of standing or walking, I begin having pain. I can walk and if you look at me, I can step off that scooter and walk normally.

With that said, the scooter is primarily for the long days in the park. I’m trying to decide in this time of Covid would it be better to rent off-site or at Disney. I have heard in the past it can be hard to get a scooter onsite at the parks and the scooters go fast.

I want to be at the parks when they open so I’m thinking we need to wait in line to get on a bus or the skyliner (staying at CBR). I also know the lines in the parks are long too.

I totally see myself being able to walk around the resort or going to another resort or Disney Springs for dinner without the use of a scooter. That’s why I’m debating renting at the parks. I think I’m worried of how long the bus and skyliner lines are and how long the standing may be.

It’s sort of awkward for me because I do not use a mobility scooter at home. I have just experienced long walks and standing it is really bad on my back and knee.

Thoughts about which scenario would be better for me? Are the bus/skyliner wait times really long or? That’s probably going to be the deciding factor for me.

Your situation sounds like my husbands, after his back surgery.
We just rented ECV's in the park. They always had plenty of ECV's at each park, and we usually got to the parks around rope drop. If you go to another park the same day, you just take your paid receipt and you can get another one. We did this a couple of times and had no problem getting one in the afternoon. Of course, NOW, with only one park a day, that point is moot!
My husband could get off the ECV and walk a little bit. So the on site rental worked for us.
I have rented one too and could get off and walk around at times.
I don't know about the bus/skyliner waits, but with the decreased capacity, there would be decreased ECV use, I think?

I plan on renting my first scooter for my trip in January. I need a scooter because I have a bad back and bad knee. After 20-30 min of standing or walking, I begin having pain. I can walk and if you look at me, I can step off that scooter and walk normally.

With that said, the scooter is primarily for the long days in the park. I’m trying to decide in this time of Covid would it be better to rent off-site or at Disney. I have heard in the past it can be hard to get a scooter onsite at the parks and the scooters go fast.

I want to be at the parks when they open so I’m thinking we need to wait in line to get on a bus or the skyliner (staying at CBR). I also know the lines in the parks are long too.

I totally see myself being able to walk around the resort or going to another resort or Disney Springs for dinner without the use of a scooter. That’s why I’m debating renting at the parks. I think I’m worried of how long the bus and skyliner lines are and how long the standing may be.

It’s sort of awkward for me because I do not use a mobility scooter at home. I have just experienced long walks and standing it is really bad on my back and knee.

Thoughts about which scenario would be better for me? Are the bus/skyliner wait times really long or? That’s probably going to be the deciding factor for me.
I have had the parks be out of ECVs if I got there later in day or left and came back. you can not take it with you out the gate and they would not hold for your return. it can be a walk plus waiting for a table can take some time. what would happen if at end of night after long day in park and you have to stand in line with the crowds. no place to sit and wait until your party gets to front of line and park rental a would not help you. I would look at offsite as I have had better luck that way and I do not use at home either

Good point. Definitely something to consider. I wondered about waiting in lines to go to the park. Every day except day one we are arriving close to opening. I wondered if there were issues getting a scooter in the park.

Get off-site. Have it delivered to your resort (it is better to use one of the preferred vendors that can leave it on site so you don't have to arrange to be present). Then you can use it around the resort too.

It's really hard right now to know what lines are like at any given day/time. Things are just so different; lines that *look* horrendously long can actually move fairly quickly because you have 6 feet of space between each party...

The Skyliners don't really stop (if you dont have to load a mobility device) so the lines there do tend to keep moving fairly well. Bus lines can be a whole different critter; a lot depends on how many buses they are running, is it at Park open/close, or the middle of the afternoon?

Also - no offense, but have you been to Disney Springs lately? It's SO much bigger than it used to be - and there is so much more walking. The bus no longer drops you at the east end; now it's more towards the middle, on the parking lot side, but there's a lot more buildings to walk around now, for starters. And I'm not sure if the water taxis are running at Disney Springs right now, to be honest; without them, for example, you can't make that shortcut from the east end to the west end, or the middle to either end, etc. Granted, you can rent (another)(expensive) Disney scooter there...

Like others here, generally speaking, I would recommend renting from an outside vendor for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that you will have a seat if lines at (any) bus stop/Skyliner/Security/etc.etc.etc. is crazy long.

HOWEVER, if you are determined to rent a scooter in the Parks that is: slower, bigger, less comfortable and *more* expensive? Then I would recommend buying, renting or borrowing a Rollator to bring along for the trip. It's basically a walker with a built-in seat, and you can fold it up and leave it at the ECV rental counter at the Park, once you get there.

And please remember that most of the people you see at Disney that are using a scooter are like you - they don't need one at home in their daily lives, because they aren't walking an *average* of 5 to 10 miles *per day*. For years and years, until my condition advanced, I only used a scooter when I was at WDW.

And please remember that using that scooter - at the hotel and Disney Springs, and everywhere at WDW - is nothing more than using a tool to get a job done. Just like using prescription glasses to see better, or a hearing aid to improve hearing function, or a hammer to pound a nail. It's a personal mobility device you use for a temporary situation.

If you decide to rent a scooter - regardless of where - just remember that you can always use the "park and walk" strategy, where you find a spot to park the scooter that is kind of centrally located to what you will be doing for a while. Park the scooter (always take the key) and then you can walk around until you need the scooter, or move on to another area. Cast members may have to move your rental scooter (they fight a constant battle to keep walkways clear and parking organized) but just tie a brightly colored length of ribbon or a brightly colored bandana somewhere on the scooter (like the basket, or the armrest, or the tiller) to help it stand out.

The logistics of renting offsite can feel overwhelming, but I promise you it's not a big deal - it's just until you do it once, it *seems* like a big deal 😉 Depending on the length of your trip, it can also save you enough money that you can go on a (tiny) shopping spree at Disney Springs! 🙂

Get off-site. Have it delivered to your resort (it is better to use one of the preferred vendors that can leave it on site so you don't have to arrange to be present). Then you can use it around the resort too.
It's really hard right now to know what lines are like at any given day/time. Things are just so different; lines that *look* horrendously long can actually move fairly quickly because you have 6 feet of space between each party...

The Skyliners don't really stop (if you dont have to load a mobility device) so the lines there do tend to keep moving fairly well. Bus lines can be a whole different critter; a lot depends on how many buses they are running, is it at Park open/close, or the middle of the afternoon?

Also - no offense, but have you been to Disney Springs lately? It's SO much bigger than it used to be - and there is so much more walking. The bus no longer drops you at the east end; now it's more towards the middle, on the parking lot side, but there's a lot more buildings to walk around now, for starters. And I'm not sure if the water taxis are running at Disney Springs right now, to be honest; without them, for example, you can't make that shortcut from the east end to the west end, or the middle to either end, etc. Granted, you can rent (another)(expensive) Disney scooter there...

Like others here, generally speaking, I would recommend renting from an outside vendor for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that you will have a seat if lines at (any) bus stop/Skyliner/Security/etc.etc.etc. is crazy long.

HOWEVER, if you are determined to rent a scooter in the Parks that is: slower, bigger, less comfortable and *more* expensive? Then I would recommend buying, renting or borrowing a Rollator to bring along for the trip. It's basically a walker with a built-in seat, and you can fold it up and leave it at the ECV rental counter at the Park, once you get there.

And please remember that most of the people you see at Disney that are using a scooter are like you - they don't need one at home in their daily lives, because they aren't walking an *average* of 5 to 10 miles *per day*. For years and years, until my condition advanced, I only used a scooter when I was at WDW.

And please remember that using that scooter - at the hotel and Disney Springs, and everywhere at WDW - is nothing more than using a tool to get a job done. Just like using prescription glasses to see better, or a hearing aid to improve hearing function, or a hammer to pound a nail. It's a personal mobility device you use for a temporary situation.

If you decide to rent a scooter - regardless of where - just remember that you can always use the "park and walk" strategy, where you find a spot to park the scooter that is kind of centrally located to what you will be doing for a while. Park the scooter (always take the key) and then you can walk around until you need the scooter, or move on to another area. Cast members may have to move your rental scooter (they fight a constant battle to keep walkways clear and parking organized) but just tie a brightly colored length of ribbon or a brightly colored bandana somewhere on the scooter (like the basket, or the armrest, or the tiller) to help it stand out.

The logistics of renting offsite can feel overwhelming, but I promise you it's not a big deal - it's just until you do it once, it *seems* like a big deal 😉 Depending on the length of your trip, it can also save you enough money that you can go on a (tiny) shopping spree at Disney Springs! 🙂

thank you. No I have not been to Disney springs in a while. Maybe 7 years ago? I definitely appreciate that feedback.

I don’t think I realized it’s cheaper to rent offsite so that sort of makes it a no brained. Thanks for your feedback!

I would use off-site scooter. I too can walk 15 to 20 minutes before my back or hip starts to hurt but standing in line is uncomfortable. And the distances you have to travel within the resorts. Well worth having a scooter.

Our last Disney trip, I finally rented an off-site scooter and quickly realized I should have done on so previous trips. Not only was I able to enjoy my trip so much more because I wasn't in so much pain, my family also had a much better trip because they weren't held back by me. The onsite scooters are much bigger and look harder to turn, etc. I rented a 3 wheel scooter that can come apart and fit in a trunk and was really easy to maneuver. I was really glad to have it not only in the parks but to go get transportation and around the resort at the end of a long day.

Rent offsite from Gold Mobility. They always keep their scooters clean and rotate them every 4 months and sell the retired ones to the public.

I second Gold Mobility. We were at Yacht Club October 26-November 2. Was less than half the price of the parks and Pop needed one to get around the resort. The person who delivered was on time for delivery, and although he was early picking up, reassured us to take our time (he was an hour early, but we were ready- just not down to the lobby yet). Will definitely use them again. Those ECV’s were spotless! Good luck and hope you have a wonderful time!

Well you guys have convinced. I’m so glad I asked! Offsite scooter it is.

Our plan on day 1 is to arrive into MCO at 9am and use ME to get to the CBR. What is a good time to plan a scooter rental drop off? We want to get to the parks as soon as we can.

Our plan on day 1 is to arrive into MCO at 9am and use ME to get to the CBR. What is a good time to plan a scooter rental drop off? We want to get to the parks as soon as we can.

if you use Buena Vista Scooter rentals they will drop off and leave with bell services and pick up from bell services. This eliminates the necessities of you having to meet them.

if you use Buena Vista Scooter rentals they will drop off and leave with bell services and pick up from bell services. This eliminates the necessities of you having to meet them.

Buena Vista is no longer allowed to do this; instead they have to meet the guest directly for pickup and dropoff.

Disney changed how they handled ECVs and wheelchairs. The only external provider now allowed to leave ECVs and wheelchairs with Bell Services is Scooterbug.

See https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/guest-services/ecv-rentals/

Typically, if you rent the scooter in advance, you can work with the scooter rental company to have them deliver the unit at a time/place that is best for you. So, you might decide you want to meet them in the lobby, but not until you all have been there for an hour or so - to give you a chance to freshen up from the flight, and then make your way back to the lobby.

They should be able to tell you (based on your flight arrival time) fairly accurately when they will arrive; they know how long the ME trip from MCO takes, and then you can just tell them how long after you land/arrive at CBR you want the scooter delivered. If you are not doing a Park that day, you could even arrange for delivery the second day of your trip if you wanted.

Be sure to work with them about pick up as well - if you are meeting them in person for pick up, then add that time into your departure day planning. It shouldn't take long, but you will have to account for that when you are looking at ME departure times, etc.

I’m assuming we won’t be able to get in our room when we arrive to the resort. That would be around 10am-11am. I hear what you are saying though. We will reach out to the scooter company for their guidance. Thank you!

When I've rented from Gold Mobility, they initially plan on 1 1/2 hours after landing if I'm taking DME, but 1 hour if I'm taking Uber But then I'm supposed to text them when I land and we keep in contact until they meet me When I get to the resort, I just sit on the nearest bench and within a few minutes, they're there! (Sorry my "period" button stopped working today, hope this is still readable)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter