Scooter advice needed please

Leigh123

DIS Veteran
I apologize in advance for this long winded post am thank you in advance for your help...

So I am a seasoned WDW traveler. my husband an I an AP holders an take multiple trips a year and I am an obsessive planner. My friend an I take a girls trip every year (usually to the beach) to my surprise this year she decided she wanted to go to WDW. In February she broke her ankle, has completed therapy an is released from her doctor. Now about a week before we go she decides she wants a scooter...I talked her into having one delivered to the resort, as I was not going to be delayed at rope drop :>...here is the real kick, she is a terrible driver (honest to god she doesn't even know the difference between her lights an windshield wiper buttons), she has knocked displays over in Walmart, ran into people into other stores on a scooter. I could go on an on.....but here are my questions to avoid a smidgen of embarrassment. (Did I mention she is loud an usually causes some kind a uproar)?

1) Do all ride lines permit you to to drive the scooter through the que, both regular at FP? (we are only doing EPCOT an DS)

2) Are you permitted to drive them into restaurants/gift shops?

3) Are there battery charging stations throughout the park?

Thanks again, please do not judge me, I am a nice person....you would have to know her level of crazy to realize I am not being heartless...

1) Nearly all. If you can’t, then theres an alternative entrance that the cm will direct you to.

2) You can take the scooter in stores, but theres very little room in many stores, as well as kids (and some adults) not paying attention. Extreme caution is needed. Extreme caution is needed everywhere, but especially in the stores or any other location with lots of people and little room. I don’t know about restaurants. It seems like there’s not really enough room for a scooter (wheelchairs, yes, but not scooters). Tables are really close together, and even a wheelchair can be a challenge. If it were me and I could walk short distances, I would leave the scooter outside/at the entrance for restaurants.

3) No. There are some places that have outlets (if you look really hard for them) that people use, though I don’t think they were ever intended for guest use. The only exception is the Tangled area at MK. I know The Land has some outlets; we charged my grandmas electric wheelchair near our table while we ate lunch once. People with low battery on phones seem to be an expert at finding outlets and plopping down to plug in :p

Based on your description of your friend, here are my suggestions:

1) Most of the queues have switchbacks, which take some skill to maneuver without taking out a pole or other guest. Have her turn the power all the way down to turtle while in queues.

2) I would recommend that she NOT try to drive in stores or restaurants. Park the ECV and walk in. Was she given a cane or crutches?

3) If you practice good ECV power management, there is no need to charge in the parks. If the ECV is not moving, turn off the power. This means while watching a parade/show, waiting in line, riding any type of Disney Transportation, etc.

When is your trip?

I apologize in advance for this long winded post am thank you in advance for your help...

1) Do all ride lines permit you to to drive the scooter through the que, both regular at FP? (we are only doing EPCOT an DS)

3) Are there battery charging stations throughout the park?

1. I don't know if I was given correct info, but the CM at Test Track told me that I would have to transfer to a wheelchair to go thru the line-no scooter, no separate entrance.
3. I did notice in many restrooms, actually in the hallway before you go in, that there were often electrical outlets. As said, it isn't necessary, if you properly charge your scooter overnight and turn it off when not driving. However, if it's raining out and you have some spare time, it's handy to "top off the tank".

If she needs to stay in the scooter in the stores, I suggest going to the stores and shopping earlier in the day rather than in the evening - they're usually way less crowded.

Once picking up the scooter perhaps you both can have some time to go on a practice run around the resort so she can get used to driving it. If it's not a crowded resort, I found that being able to get into and elevators is a good way to practice going forward and backwards and driving carefully - we were at CSR when I first rented a scooter and the elevators in our building during the day were fairly quiet (some place like CR - not so much).

I had a hard time finding a place to charge my scooter at DHS - ended up near some info kiosk (realized later the battery was going bad). If she rents a scooter appropriate for her weight the charge should hold all day. The scooter company hopefully helped her pick the right one if there is any question about weight. Turning off the scooter if you're parked for awhile (like for a show) will help as well.

@Leigh123 - when the scooter is delivered, just tell her that it HAS TO STAY ON "TURTLE" all the time. This will help slow her down, which might help increase her response times, and avoid a few incidents.

If she asks why, tell her it helps the battery last longer :upsidedow

And remember the "park and walk" strategy - encourage her to park the scooter someplace out of the way (you can always ask a CM where the best spot is to park wherever you are) and the get off and walk around a bit to "stretch your legs". During this time, keep her distracted with shops, or food, or taking pictures - she may not want the scooter in her selfies!

A lot of folks in this community do "park and walk" in areas like Fantasyland at MK - then when it's time to move on to another area, they drive the scooter to a central location, and "park and walk" again.

And, since it's a girls trip, you may be surprised - she may want to spend a lot of time down at Disney Springs (daytime is great; typically fewer people, and everything is much less crowded) with shopping, food and drink.

I hope you will let us know how it goes - I can tell you are a bit concerned, but remember that people are often different at WDW than they are in the real world.

Have a great trip! :)

@Leigh123 - when the scooter is delivered, just tell her that it HAS TO STAY ON "TURTLE" all the time. This will help slow her down, which might help increase her response times, and avoid a few incidents.

What I learned (and the bus learned) this last trip is that some ECVs actually go slower than "Turtle". I had it on Turtle when I got on the bus, but I still went zipping around. Then I double-checked, and discovered that the dial would go about 1/3 of a way counter-clockwise below Turtle. So she might want to check to see how far counter-clockwise she could get. Advice I should have heeded!

What I learned (and the bus learned) this last trip is that some ECVs actually go slower than "Turtle". I had it on Turtle when I got on the bus, but I still went zipping around. Then I double-checked, and discovered that the dial would go about 1/3 of a way counter-clockwise below Turtle. So she might want to check to see how far counter-clockwise she could get. Advice I should have heeded!

I had this with the scooter I rented in March except the opposite - my dial went past rabbit if I was to go top speed. I can't remember the details actually but never had that before!

Also the friend may want to ask the bus driver or one of her friends to drive the scooter onto the bus and park it. If she is able to drive onto the bus and park it herself then she should be able to do anything with that scooter - lol!

I don't know how fast of a walker you are, but that might be another reason for your friend to drive extra extra slow. After all, with all that walking your feet will hurt and you need to walk slow. I don't know about controls on a scooter, but maybe a sticker or two - leave dial at this mark. Many times one gets fluster and hits the wrong button or dial.

If she is as bad as you said with driving, I'd be concerned she would drive right over the edge of a curb and go for a tumble. It's' very easy to be looking at this or that and not notice the change of flat ground to a curb.

Could a rollentar be enough help for her? I've broken my ankle twice. The first time I went from a walker to a cane. Had a hard cast, air cast and some kind high laced brace...(I felt like Peggy Fleming). Second time I had the walker and just the hard cast. Thank God, I've had no issues with that ankle. But during that time to me, having to rest that leg was most important. With the rollenter, you always have a place to sit.

1. I don't know if I was given correct info, but the CM at Test Track told me that I would have to transfer to a wheelchair to go thru the line-no scooter, no separate entrance.

That's possible. I don't know about Test Track, but I know Haunted Mansion requires you to transfer to a wheelchair if you are in an ECV. So Test Track may as well.

Thanks all for the advice....I am sure I come off cold an heartless but my friend is just lazy. I was actually mortified for most of the trip an embarrassed by her actions. The scenes she caused an illusions of special treatment she felt she should receive were just something I can not even put into words here. It is one of those selective injuries of convenience. It was just beyond....to give you an example she even used the emergency phone at the bus stop (resort) to complain the bus was taking to long....live an learn NEVER again. Thank you again for all the tips and information on this thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!