Scathing report from Frommer's on Genie+/LL

I agree with you in general, though my preference would have ben to not emulate a "location" at all and rather jsut be a theme park land with a mish-mash of regognizeable Star Wars things.

You're right though - who wants to go to Tatooine! 🤣
But there are nice places there, too! Luke's aunt and uncle's house and Mos Eisley. Tosche station to pick up some power converters. Maybe we could add a dash of Endor and some cloud city :)

Search this forum. You'll find plenty of people planning months to years in advance.
I'm aware of that. I was only talking about the people I know in real life. Months or years in advance are too long for us. Although I like going to the parks, I'm not 100% sure if I want to be there  X months or years from now. That's why I appreciate the spontaneity of G+/iLL.

I've said it before but I still stand by it. I don't think Galaxy's Edge is made for Star Wars super fans. It's not made for those who already love the franchise and would be able to tell the door is in a dif place. It is made to evoke the feeling of Star Wars without actually committing to a in-world location.

It works great in that sense, my parents love it and aren't Star Wars fans. I love it as well, and I'm not a super fan either even tho I really enjoy the franchise. I would never have been able to tell about the door for example.

Honestly not to sounds cliche, but all that sand? No thank you :rotfl: , I am glad they didn't recreate the dump that is in-world Tatooine.

Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing I don't know, I just know that everyone I've ever gone to that land with (around 8 dif ppl from 2 dif generations) have loved the place. I just wish there were more things to do in it.
I've only been to SWGE once (so not enough times to possibly get bored with it) but I loved the theming—the buildings, the landscaping, the droid prints in the concrete, the Disney Play app interactive elements. Well, and hey, the Millennium Falcon!

I'm definitely an Original Trilogy person (I saw Episode 4 when it first came out), but I don't mind at all that Batuu isn't a world I know from the movies. It looks SW-ish enough for me.

I've only been to SWGE once (so not enough times to possibly get bored with it) but I loved the theming—the buildings, the landscaping, the droid prints in the concrete, the Disney Play app interactive elements. Well, and hey, the Millennium Falcon!

I'm definitely an Original Trilogy person (I saw Episode 4 when it first came out), but I don't mind at all that Batuu isn't a world I know from the movies. It looks SW-ish enough for me.
Same! I could swear the air itself changes as soon as I walk thru the tunnel. The immersiveness is expectacular.

Star Wars as an IP just ain't the same thing it was 10 or 15 years ago. Disney took a risk making Galaxy's Edge in Batuu but if it was Tatooine (again?) or some other recognizable location I feel like it could be received as tired and played out quick.

I agree with you in general, though my preference would have been to not emulate a "location" at all and rather jsut be a theme park land with a mish-mash of regognizeable Star Wars things.

I understand they were going with something immersive like Harry Potter at Universal, but I absolutely love your idea and it would have been a million times better than what we got. Give me some sort of crazy thrill ride set on Hoth or with pod racing. Give me a tamer ride set on Endor. The Mos Eisley Cantina has to be there. The Falcon and ROTR can stay exactly as they are. A "fancy" table service place themed to Naboo or Coruscant could work too.

As far as Genie+ goes, I just returned from a quick trip to DLR for Adventureland Day. I fly down from Sac airport. We were busy doing the scavenger hunt, photo ops, and decoding etc and meeting with other ALD attendees on Sunday so Genie+ would have been a waste that day. The lines weren't bad Sunday evening. But yesterday (Mon), DL was insanely busy. A CM told us that Mondays are often now the busiest day. Not sure if that's correct, but it was certainly far busier than I'm used to. I don't like massive amounts of people packed in tightly and Genie+ isn't going to alleviate that issue.

As far as Genie+ goes, I just returned from a quick trip to DLR for Adventureland Day. I fly down from Sac airport. We were busy doing the scavenger hunt, photo ops, and decoding etc and meeting with other ALD attendees on Sunday so Genie+ would have been a waste that day. The lines weren't bad Sunday evening. But yesterday (Mon), DL was insanely busy. A CM told us that Mondays are often now the busiest day. Not sure if that's correct, but it was certainly far busier than I'm used to. I don't like massive amounts of people packed in tightly and Genie+ isn't going to alleviate that issue.

Mondays have been the busiest day for a while now!

I've felt like Sunday/Monday seemed most crowded on our recent visits. Surprisingly, Saturday wasn't too awful.

Perhaps because all but the most expensive Magic Keys have at least some Saturdays blocked out, and most of them are blocked out all Saturdays?
This, plus the single day tickets are cheapest on weekdays and most expensive on weekends. It definitely impacts crowd flow. Saturdays and holidays with max MK block outs and expensive single day ticket prices are now the least crowded days (still crowded, but less crowded than other days).

This is why, perversely, Saturdays/holidays/summer are all LESS crowded than random weekends and weekdays throughout the year.

This, plus the single day tickets are cheapest on weekdays and most expensive on weekends. It definitely impacts crowd flow. Saturdays and holidays with max MK block outs and expensive single day ticket prices are now the least crowded days (still crowded, but less crowded than other days).

This is why, perversely, Saturdays/holidays/summer are all LESS crowded than random weekends and weekdays throughout the year.
Thanks for the additional information, OlliePop. I think this is surprising for WDW veterans who are planning Disneyland trips. The visitor composition and therefore the crowd patterns are so different between Florida and California!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter