Scamper Camper

2China2009

Mouseketeer
I am very interested in buy a new Scamper Camper 13 inch deluxe. I have done a lot of research and have called the the guys in Bachus MN where they are made. They are currently around 15mos out from building a new one for us. At this time I have not committed yet. We would be new campers,but I love the idea of being able to easily haul anywhere. Any others out here?

2China2009,

I'm not a Scamp trailer person but I have an Aliner and subscribe to your excellent point about being able to haul easily just about anywhere.

Being light and easily towable is a big selling point. We went with the Aliner for fold down storage in the home garage and towing below the roof line of the tow vehicle. Like some of the Scamp 13' designs, we have a convertible sofa on one end and a convertible dinette on the other with the stove/sink/fridge/micro/potty in the middle. From our March 2016 WDW trip, here we are in our on-the-road configuration:

And here we are all set up at the Fort:

When I'm at the Fort I like to walk around and take pictures of different type of trailers and camping setups and got a photo of a little Scamp on that trip:

Honestly, I have not heard from any Scamp posters here although there might be some out there. But you might check other websites like irv2 and see if there is a Scamp community to tap into. I see at least one Scamp on the highway whenever I am on a long distance trip.

15 months is a long time to wait for a build out but good luck with your search. Hope to run into you at the Fort someday!

Bama Ed

Not exactly the info you wanted, but. We talked to a couple in a campground that had a Casita. They loved it.

2China2009,

I'm not a Scamp trailer person but I have an Aliner and subscribe to your excellent point about being able to haul easily just about anywhere.

Being light and easily towable is a big selling point.

Bama Ed

Being light is a big downer if it gets a little windy, could get blown away like Dorothy and Toto.......

Being light is a big downer if it gets a little windy, could get blown away like Dorothy and Toto.......

Chris,

Don't let the physics and the calculus scare you. Being small and low is better than being big and high. I've got my slide rule out and can help you if needed. It's really easy when you understand it.

When there is an Evac Order (or something close), it's best to obey the civil authorities.

It's all about whether you are the "exception" or the "rule". Weather conditions can easily be applied in any case right?

Right.

I mean, it's obvious....

Bama Ed

PS - the OP is looking for advice re: Scamp campers which are small and light...

Last edited:
2China2009,

I also checked www.rvtrader.com which pulls in a lot of ads/inventory for used trailers and there weren't many Scamps.

One thing to keep in mind that summertime is peak camping time in many places so after maybe Labor Day, you might start to see more used inventory listed for sale. So keep checking the internet.

Are you even willing to go used if you can get one sooner? Or are you really planning for a new one?

Bama Ed

have to agree with Ed here, if its windy enough to upend a scamper, my Fiver is probably not safe refuge

I almost purchased an Alto but was informed by the driver that it wasn't going to happen. Not because he dinna want to pull anything (although he was dead set against a 5er or normal sized TT as was I; don't have anywhere to park those big guys near us and well the older we get the more minimalistic we become); he's just given up on driving in general. For the record, I'm a born and raised NYCer, which translates into me being a great navigator and caller of taxis;).

Scamp was one of the first lil ones I looked at but believe there was a problem with NE distribution along with some other West Coast manufacturers. So I began concentrating on small TTs readily available on the East Coast. Ran through rv2s, Airstream, and finally found my true love @:

https://safaricondo.com/fr/caravanes/
Low weight, retractable ceiling, fantastic resale value, easy care maintenance and good looks. No need to pull with an F-150 which also didn't fit into our life.

There is a nice group of small TT enthusiasts at:

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/26.cfm

who can probably point you in the right direction for scamp info.HTH and have fun out there!

Chris,

Don't let the physics and the calculus scare you. Being small and low is better than being big and high. I've got my slide rule out and can help you if needed. It's really easy when you understand it.

When there is an Evac Order (or something close), it's best to obey the civil authorities.

It's all about whether you are the "exception" or the "rule". Weather conditions can easily be applied in any case right?

Right.

I mean, it's obvious....

Bama Ed

PS - the OP is looking for advice re: Scamp campers which are small and light...

The best part of small and light is you fit everywhere.

I almost purchased an Alto but was informed by the driver that it wasn't going to happen. Not because he dinna want to pull anything (although he was dead set against a 5er or normal sized TT as was I; don't have anywhere to park those big guys near us and well the older we get the more minimalistic we become); he's just given up on driving in general. For the record, I'm a born and raised NYCer, which translates into me being a great navigator and caller of taxis;).

Scamp was one of the first lil ones I looked at but believe there was a problem with NE distribution along with some other West Coast manufacturers. So I began concentrating on small TTs readily available on the East Coast. Ran through rv2s, Airstream, and finally found my true love @:

https://safaricondo.com/fr/caravanes/
Low weight, retractable ceiling, fantastic resale value, easy care maintenance and good looks. No need to pull with an F-150 which also didn't fit into our life.

There is a nice group of small TT enthusiasts at:

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/26.cfm

who can probably point you in the right direction for scamp info.HTH and have fun out there!

I've seen those but super pricey. But anyway after a disastrous tent camping trip last Labor day and us seeing a Scamp in the park my wife this spring says "lets start looking for a trailer" OK so we didn't want a pop up since we were parking it away from our house and was worried about putting away damp canvas and an A Liner was too small since our adult sons are still camping with us even though one has moved away.

We bought the smallest lightest but not super expensive KZ 180BH GVWR 3,500 lbs which the only issue my Jeep Cherokee has is gas mileage.

Attachments

• jeep trailer.jpeg
    jeep trailer.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 39
I've seen those but super pricey. But anyway after a disastrous tent camping trip last Labor day and us seeing a Scamp in the park my wife this spring says "lets start looking for a trailer" OK so we didn't want a pop up since we were parking it away from our house and was worried about putting away damp canvas and an A Liner was too small since our adult sons are still camping with us even though one has moved away.

We bought the smallest lightest but not super expensive KZ 180BH GVWR 3,500 lbs which the only issue my Jeep Cherokee has is gas mileage.

Looks good, chartle!

Bama Ed

PS - seems like err'body is dreaming about new campers.... :cloud9:

We have a Trailmanor. 2900lbs and easy on gas mileage because of its low profile. It’s a type of pop up with all hard sides. When we bought it, I thought we would want a bigger trailer after awhile. Instead I’m thinking about downsizing. I’ve researched all of the ones y’all mentioned. Right now I’m leaning toward a teardrop. Even though the Trailmanor only takes a few minutes to set up, I’m liking the idea of a trailer that just requires leveling and hook ups.

I’d like to know how the scamps and casitas and teardrops tow. With the TM, we don’t need a wdh or sway control. (Although we’re planning on adding wdh before our next trip) We tow with a Tacoma. I think I’ve read that the “egg” campers are very stable and don’t need a sway bar, but I’m skeptical.

BamaEd, how long does it take to set up your camper?

We have a Trailmanor. 2900lbs and easy on gas mileage because of its low profile. It’s a type of pop up with all hard sides. When we bought it, I thought we would want a bigger trailer after awhile. Instead I’m thinking about downsizing. I’ve researched all of the ones y’all mentioned. Right now I’m leaning toward a teardrop. Even though the Trailmanor only takes a few minutes to set up, I’m liking the idea of a trailer that just requires leveling and hook ups.

I’d like to know how the scamps and casitas and teardrops tow. With the TM, we don’t need a wdh or sway control. (Although we’re planning on adding wdh before our next trip) We tow with a Tacoma. I think I’ve read that the “egg” campers are very stable and don’t need a sway bar, but I’m skeptical.

I'm assuming you know you don't use a teardrop like a "normal" RV you use it like a tent since inside its just a mattress and maybe a TV if its "fancy". All your cooking and really living is outside.

As for a Scamp or Casitas anti sway can give you some piece of mind. It a bigger wall moving down the road so more likely to be effected by cross winds and passing Trucks.

We inquired about how to look at a Scamp and your options, since it a direct from the factory sale, are go to the factory or they set you up with a local owner to check them out. I don't even think they go to RV shows. One other thing about Scamps is that I heard is that the waiting list is 15 months for a new one.

Not long at all, mom. Minutes.

We had a Jayco popup when my three kids were at home and we wore it out using it. The kids cranked up the room, cranked down the jacks, and helped pull out the bunks and slideout dinette. One negative about it was when staying overnight on the way to our destination, we either had to stop early to disconnect the tow vehicle to set up (bunks extended into tow vehicle space). Now I can stay hitched, pop up the roof and walls, drop the two rear jacks, plug in and spend the night. The morning takedown is equally speedy.

Here is my thread about when I got it: https://www.disboards.com/threads/bama-ed-has-a-new-camper.3259749/

It has several pictures.

I toured the T@b teardrop trailer factory in Ohio about three years ago. There were T@bs on the dealer lot where I bought my Aliner so I had been in them. They are VERY small and tight inside with low ceilings and my factory visit confirmed that. Although about a year ago T@b introduced a 3-person teardrop that's about 2 feet longer. My Aliner has the 14-foot box and with the pointed roof feels very spacious inside and I have spent two days back-to-back in it during a rainy campout and not felt claustrophobic. We are generally outside most times when we can.

I'm sure the Casitas and Scamps feel more spacious inside than a T@b but then you are pulling an upright trailer and you lose the slipstream benefit of your TM and my Aliner. Of course, the one thing about the Aliner (and all little popups) is that there is not much storage space. One of us has trouble with regards to overpacking. :love2: :rolleyes1

Bama Ed

bama_ed, do you have a bathroom in your A-Liner? If not, do y'all use a portable camp toilet or just use the campground facilities in the middle of the night?

bama_ed, do you have a bathroom in your A-Liner? If not, do y'all use a portable camp toilet or just use the campground facilities in the middle of the night?

MudQueen22,

My Aliner does have a toilet only (a Thetford casette tank type) which is the same style my old popup had. Here is a picture of it in the cabinet:

We are state park/COE/FortW campers so we normally camp in locations with Comfort Stations. As such, we rarely use it (it is available for cold nights and emergencies) for #1 use only (you're talking to the Thetford tank technician here). And as the linked thread above showed, I got a door to cover up the white toilet from regular view. It actually is swivelled sideways when closed up so when we use it we have to open the door, lift the countertop (bungee strap included with a hook to hold it up), swivel it forward, and use.

Like i said, it's a casette which I was used to using in my old Jayco popup.

Some models do come with a shower option with soft/curtain walls or a hard wall option (our Jayco actually had the soft curtain shower option which we never used in 10 yrs of ownership - just the potty option). Again, it depends on how you camp - no hook ups on raw property or state parks.

Hope this helps.

Bama Ed

Thank you, Bama Ed.
On one of our first camping trips, an A-Liner was camped in the site next to us. He said he had a bathroom in it.

I've always thought they were so neat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter