Say Please in French - A June and Sept. 2018 DLP TR *Updated 4/22

Bonine does this to you, too? Man, that's disappointing. I had such a negative reaction to Dramamine that I was going to try Bonine next and see how that goes. I am not sure why my body changed how it handles motion sickness medicine (I took it during my honeymoon cruise in 2011 and was fine) but it's frustrating. Have you tried the seabands? Do they help?

Bonine might be worth a try for you. But I'd recommend trying it once someday when you don't have to do anything important in case it doesn't agree with you. Bonine is a little better for me than Dramamine, but still not great. I have some prescription meds I take, but they have their own negative side effects, so I try to avoid them whenever I can. I do use seabands! I think they help some, but sometimes I still get swimmy wearing them. But I like that there are no negative side effects. I also tried the patch behind the ear, but it makes me lightheaded and gives me dry mouth. I also try to do what I can to be preventative: get enough sleep (I get more motion sick if I'm tired) and have something in my stomach, but nothing too fatty/greasy/sugary. But those things are both a challenge on vacation! lol I also have a little essential oil type thing you put by your nose and breathe in the aroma and I find that helpful once I'm already queasy. I think it's called an aromatherapy inhaler. I also sometimes take ginger, but I don't think it's super effective for me.

Bonine might be worth a try for you. But I'd recommend trying it once someday when you don't have to do anything important in case it doesn't agree with you. Bonine is a little better for me than Dramamine, but still not great

Another DISer told me they take Bonine before bed every night, and I think I might give that a try.

I also sometimes take ginger, but I don't think it's super effective for me.

Ginger is a good tip!

Real Life Update:

Hi guys, sorry to interrupt your regularly scheduled Trip Report, but Alex and I are ready to share our latest news with everyone and I wanted to make sure you all were kept in the loop, as well.

The last six months or so have been sort of stressful for my family. Our time in Germany is coming to a close next year, and Alex’s request to stay longer was denied. So all throughout the summer we waited for a list of overseas possibilities to drop, but when it did there was nothing on it for Alex’s job and rank! We were really disappointed, but after a few weeks we began searching for specialty jobs that we could apply for back in the states. The benefit to this was that we could see where we would be moving, instead of leaving it up to chance.

Well, that was kind of a bust. It began to look more and more like we would have to wait for a list to come out at the beginning of the year stating which places in the United States we had the possibility of being sent to. And if the previous lists were any indication, it was not going to be a fun selection. Think lots of cold, remote locations.

I won’t lie, it was really bumming us out. Having to leave a great place is hard enough, but knowing you’re probably going somewhere crummy makes it even worse. Alex and I tried to make the best of it, though, by having an amazing summer and continuing to look at job listings.

Then, in the fall, another list of overseas bases was released. They all were for after we were supposed to leave Germany, but people told us to take a chance and apply for it, anyways.

You never know until you try.

And by some miracle….we got selected!!!!

:cheer2:

So without further ado:

PCS Announcement.jpg

We are moving to England next summer! :goodvibes

I can’t tell you how excited and happy Alex and I are over this news. It’s always been a dream of mine to live in the U.K. and Alex really, really wasn’t ready to finish his European travels. It was one of our dream locations to live, and I still don’t know how we were lucky enough to get it.

Of course, it’s still the early stages and any number of things could prevent us from ending up going there. If there’s nobody in the area that can treat Landon’s eye condition, if one of us isn’t cleared medically, or if they decide Alex is needed somewhere else more, than our orders can get canceled.

But for right now, it’s happening and we’re about to dive in to Moving Season. When I moved over here years ago, I had to take an extensive break from the DIS in order to focus on the big change. I’m hopeful I won’t have to do that again this time around, but if you don’t see me around much this spring, just know I’ll be back and will weed my way through your reports.

Landon has taken the news hard. We explained to him at the beginning of the summer that this was our last year here, and he’s watched a lot of his friends move away, but once we gave him an actual next destination, the reality hit him. If I thought it was going to be difficult to say goodbye to my friends, it’s going to absolutely break my heart to see Landon part from his buddies.

However, that leads me into my second piece of news. And this is the best kind.

It’s Disney news!
:cool1:

Whenever a family goes from one overseas location to another, they are given roundtrip flights back to their home of residence. The majority of people use their trip in between moves since their belongings are making their slow trek to their new home, and it’s easiest to take time off before starting work at a new job. (Although, I have met a few families who wait until the following summer when they are more settled or until the holidays.)

Well, as most of you know, our home is in Florida, and Alex and I wanted to use our flights between the move. We have people here who can help with dog sitting and watching our stuff while we’re gone, and we think going back to see family is just what Landon will need to transition from one place to another.

Understandable, right?

Welllll….if we’re going back to Florida.

And we have all this time off.

It only makes sense that we also take a vacation to Disney World.

Am I right?!

A real, true, official Disney vacation.

You heard me right.

WE’RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!!

Dsc01929.jpg

Unfortunately, because everything around the move is so fluid, a lot of our dates and trip details will have to be formulated last minute. It will be several more months until I can book anything, which means we will have to take whatever measly scraps are left from avid planners.

But we don’t mind. Us back in our happy place is all that matters. We just want to be standing in the hot, muggy, crowded tapstile line, waiting our turn to enter the Magic Kingdom. We aren’t needy people. Give us a Dole Whip and turn on Small World and we’re good to go.:thumbsup2

Tentatively, we are going to spend 8 days at Shades of Green with the first part including extended family. With the potential of Alex and I having two nights at a deluxe…

WITHOUT KIDS!
:worship:

If all goes as planned (like that ever happens) the two of us will get to relive our golden Disney days of riding coasters, commando park touring, and fancy eating within the theme parks.

And wait, there’s more!

If Alex and I can swing it, we want to skedattle over to Disneyland Paris next fall to compete in the race weekend again.

0004.JPG

We shouldn’t be too far away, and the friends we went with last year are returning. So it would be a great chance to reconnect with them and let Landon see a friend that he’ll probably be missing by that point. I haven’t gotten to the races yet in my report, but they were an amazing and unique experience that we would love to get to do again.

Originally, Alex and I thought we were moving back to the states and had already arranged with my mom to participate in the Wine and Dine Half Marathon while she watched our kids. So we’re just shifting our race locations a bit.

Whew….*sighs* That was a doozy of an update! Hope I didn’t lose any of you guys along the way. My family is thrilled to enter a new stage of our life, and we’re SOOOOO happy we’ve got another Disney trip on the horizon. As the trip starts to take shape, I’ll share our plans and goals and count down the days until I get to ride Big Thunder with Landon again.

Congratulations! That is so exciting you got someplace you wanted! I will be keeping you all in my thoughts that everything works out and is relatively stress free!

And YAY for getting to do a family trip to WDW!! I know you were hoping to do that! :banana:

That's excellent! Congratulations on moving and getting another Disney World Trip. I really hope I get to go back there soon but for the time being DLP is my best bet.

What a fantastic next chapter for your adventures! I'll be here hoping that they all work out for you and your fam :D

HOW EXCITING! My sister spent a semester abroad last year in Manchester and loved it. What an experience for all of you to have lived in Germany and now get to live in England.

And to have a Disney trip to set your sights on while you make the transition, that will be the perfect way to celebrate your new home! I feel like youll have to take some sort of funny family photo in the Germany and UK pavilions! haha

Cant wait to hear all about it!

Also hope you my home country of England and hey if your ever in London and you want some fun, gimme a shout okay?

Congrats on the great news! Living in England should be a great experience.
And congrats on the Disney trip news and potential race weekend!

What exciting news all around. I've always wanted to visit London and you'll be living it. Good luck!

Congratulations!!!! I too would love to live in the UK so I will gladly follow along.

Congratulations! That is so exciting you got someplace you wanted! I will be keeping you all in my thoughts that everything works out and is relatively stress free!

And YAY for getting to do a family trip to WDW!! I know you were hoping to do that! :banana:

Thanks! Alex and I are still in shock that we got such a lucky break!

I'm beyond ready for my family to get a real, true Disney vacation again.

That's excellent! Congratulations on moving and getting another Disney World Trip. I really hope I get to go back there soon but for the time being DLP is my best bet.

Fortunately, Disneyland Paris has some great stuff that's exclusive to their parks. I'm really happy I'll still live close enough to visit it a few more times.

What a fantastic next chapter for your adventures! I'll be here hoping that they all work out for you and your fam :D

Thank you; Alex and I are feeling very fortunate.

HOW EXCITING! My sister spent a semester abroad last year in Manchester and loved it. What an experience for all of you to have lived in Germany and now get to live in England.

And to have a Disney trip to set your sights on while you make the transition, that will be the perfect way to celebrate your new home! I feel like youll have to take some sort of funny family photo in the Germany and UK pavilions! haha

Cant wait to hear all about it!

Thank you! Living in the U.K. has always been my dream, so it's still kind of a shock that I'm getting the opportunity to do it.

Haha, that's a great idea! I'll have to start thinking of something to do for when we visit those pavilions. Just last night, Alex turned to me and went, "Hey guess what?! Soon, we will have lived in two of the World Showcase pavilions! And have visited 5 of them so far!" :rotfl2:

Also hope you my home country of England and hey if your ever in London and you want some fun, gimme a shout okay?

We've visited London two times in the last three years, already, so I imagine we'll be back again. We all love the city and always find a bunch of new things to explore.

Congrats on the great news! Living in England should be a great experience.
And congrats on the Disney trip news and potential race weekend!

Alex wants me to sign up for the 36K Challenge at Disneyland Paris, and he keeps joking that if I do those, then he's going to fly me back to the states to run the Wine and Dine Half Marathon. That way I can get the Castle to Chateau Challenge.
But I just look at him like he's crazy when he says that. Running two half marathons in six weeks would probably break me. :rotfl:

What exciting news all around. I've always wanted to visit London and you'll be living it. Good luck!

London is one of my favorite places in the world. Despite having already visited once, Alex and I went back again when the kids had a 5 day weekend in October. Of course, we had no idea we would be moving over there, and there were many other new places we should have went to, instead. We just love London and knew we'd have a great time there. I really hope one day you can make it there and see it for yourself!

congratulations and fingers crossed for a smooth transition!

Thank you! I'm hoping moving from one European city to another will be a lot easier than it was moving from the states to Europe!

Congratulations!!!! I too would love to live in the UK so I will gladly follow along.

Thanks so much! I'm really excited for this opportunity and can't wait to start planning our travels over there.

Alex wants me to sign up for the 36K Challenge at Disneyland Paris, and he keeps joking that if I do those, then he's going to fly me back to the states to run the Wine and Dine Half Marathon. That way I can get the Castle to Chateau Challenge.
But I just look at him like he's crazy when he says that. Running two half marathons in six weeks would probably break me. :rotfl:

I'm signed up for a half 9 weeks after my marathon, so take what I say with many grains of salt, but ... I think you should go for the Castle to Chateau. It's such a pretty medal!

I'm signed up for a half 9 weeks after my marathon, so take what I say with many grains of salt, but ... I think you should go for the Castle to Chateau. It's such a pretty medal!

I was extremely jealous of all the runners sporting their Castle to Chateau medals after the race. And how cool would it be to bring that medal over to WDW to take photos with after the Wine and Dine....I guess running shortly after a race just means you're already in the condition to do it. What's one more to run to help motivate you during months of training....

Congrats on the location. I hope that your plans go as planned.

Thank you, we're feeling very fortunate.

Awesome news! So glad to hear you get to extend your international travels a bit longer.

Thanks! We're excited to get to explore Europe more. Even though it's crazy to think that Evie will spent (with the exception of the first 6 months) the first 9/10 years of her life in Europe. I wonder if she'll have a culture shock when we eventually move back?:laughing:

UGH!!! So sorry I have been absent for so long- I have been so busy IRL that I have had trouble keeping up with the Beach Club FAQ and I have not even been able to check out any of the trip reports I am following. But yours is the first one I am checking on.

Evie is obsessed with all things gymnastics and counts down the days until her next class. Whereas Landon enjoys his classes, but he’s intimidated by the equipment and would rather cheer Evie on in the living room while she practices her rolls and cartwheels.

001-jpg.363306

This is adorable!!! So glad to hear that Evie loves her gymnastics classes.

:cheer2:

I also loved hearing about the cool experiences you had at the Cologne zoo. What a perfect spot for a birthday celebration!

:simba:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!