Saw some shad stuff at Swan / Dolphin pool this week you don't see at Disney pools

Since this happened at Swan / Dolphin, and also since this is stuff you don't see at Disney pools, please, everyone - refrain from booking a stay at Swan/Dolphin. Especially mid Oct to mid Nov. You can go ahead and monitor the cheap travel sites, and if you see any eye-popping prices, please, just let me know, and I'll remind everyone to not book them, as a service to my fellow Dis-Boarders. :crazy:

And remember, if you see any eye popping prices, please let me know.

Pool hoppers and "the public" using resort guest pool services is not just a Disney thing. You find it from Hawaii to Maine. It is why controlled access was established at YC/BC and recently PR after a volume of guest complaints. PR was getting really bad before they took action to control access to the pool to at least a gate. Sometimes their hard to spot, while other times they stand out as they have huge amount of stuff, excessively loud in comparison to their surroundings...even better after a short period of time after they arrive they start to loudly talk/shout back n forth how the pool is far better than their resorts pool, as they down another alcoholic drink. People trying to use other guest paid services even extend beyond pools and include using club services too by tailgating behind club guest at doors and elevator access controls.

Pool hoppers and "the public" using resort guest pool services is not just a Disney thing. You find it from Hawaii to Maine. It is why controlled access was established at YC/BC and recently PR after a volume of guest complaints. PR was getting really bad before they took action to control access to the pool to at least a gate. Sometimes their hard to spot, while other times they stand out as they have huge amount of stuff, excessively loud in comparison to their surroundings...even better after a short period of time after they arrive they start to loudly talk/shout back n forth how the pool is far better than their resorts pool, as they down another alcoholic drink. People trying to use other guest paid services even extend beyond pools and include using club services too by tailgating behind club guest at doors and elevator access controls.
We saw a group take over the South Point pool at OKW once and none of them were staying at the resort. We called Disney Security who removed them.

Last edited:
We were at the boardwalk last month and there was a family from another resort there. I just had a feeling about them but no proof. They were sitting at the bar which I know is allowed but thy used the pool and had their things on lounges as well. But when they were leaving DH overheard the mother and father say what should we do? And go back to the resort was one of the options.

Disney does a pretty good job of keeping people out of their pools who do not belong, just because they have life guard presence. I stayed at the Dolphin this week for business, and the pool experience was not what i expect from nice / decent hotel.

Biggest issue was people/families coming from from the parks who obviously were not guests at the hotel swimming. How is it obvious???? no pool towels. in order to get a pool towel, you have to show a room key. I saw 3 separate families walk in, sit in the chairs.... pay cash for drinks.....and let 3 or 4 kids, swim in the pool wearing street cloths. litle girls in t-shirts and shorts....bit in shorts....NOT swim attire......then grandma, gets in wearing her full yoga outfit, with a standard bra and t shirt. it was just creepy.

another family...did the same, but they also brought in a full cooler full of beer and food.

When done, they just wrung out their cloths and walked off.

really turned me off. i may rethink just getting a room at the swan / dolphin in the future.
ridiculous. You have no idea if these people were guests or not. SOme people wear yoga clothing for swimwear (google it) and the towel thing....maybe. But guess what? with a couple of exceptions you can also just go and swim in just about any Disney resort pool too. (not saying you should, but you can) your post is assuming quite a lot.

I was there last week as a guest at the Swan, and there was a big sandwich-board type sign in the walkway stating that the pool was for the exclusive use of guests and that lifeguards may ask to see your room key.

I didn’t see anybody swimming in street clothes, but my group did have a small cooler with beer in it. They cost a lot less at the Speedway than they do at Cabanas Beach Bar.

ETA: In addition to beer, we got pina colada’s with rum floaters ($2 plus the cost of the plain alcoholic drink) from Cabanas. Excellent drink; the extra shot of rum raises the flavor and buzz profile of the drink exponentially. Beware the brain-freeze tho.
We have stayed here,and at many disney resorts,and always bring our own drinks and food poolside.

ridiculous. You have no idea if these people were guests or not. SOme people wear yoga clothing for swimwear (google it) and the towel thing....maybe. But guess what? with a couple of exceptions you can also just go and swim in just about any Disney resort pool too. (not saying you should, but you can) your post is assuming quite a lot.

What's ridiculous is parsing the OP regarding something that even Disney recognizes is a problem rather than addressing the OP's concerns. When this is the case, I really have to ask myself how many are just being completely disingenuous as they deny the obvious.

What's ridiculous is parsing the OP regarding something that even Disney recognizes is a problem rather than addressing the OP's concerns. When this is the case, I really have to ask myself how many are just being completely disingenuous as they deny the obvious.
Or that, perhaps, they, too, might be flagrant violators of the rules. Just sayin'.

You see it “all the time” because not everyone always agrees with original posters. It’s nice that you agree with the op. Others don’t.

What point?

That you and the OP feel it’s obvious that they were sneaks and others don’t???

So, let’s be logical. This sneaky family comes from...where?

Did they park at the swolphin?

Are they coming from the parks? Did they drive to the parks? Did they take the bus from their resort? Did they waste two hours of their lives driving in, parking at DS, walking through Epcot, exiting, and walking over there?

Ok. So. They’ve been so naughty, they’ve had their swim.

Now what?

You truly think that they are now going to leave and walk past however many employees to go retrieve their car?

They are going to go all sopping wet back to their car parked at Epcot, walking through the park dripping? Or get on that bus to go back to their resort or Disney springs to retrieve their car? While that sopping wet?

Come on.

I’ve been on cruises where you see a family dressed totally inappropriately until one day their luggage catches up with them. Then they can get out of their jeans and into their cruise clothing and bathing suits.

I think it’s far more likely that it’s a situation like that than the one where they are going to be as obvious as they can possibly be to sneak around.

When my Floridian cousins used to swim at Disney resorts (and they state firmly that it used to be allowed and not against rules) they brought suits and towels. They weren’t then driving back to Tampa or Daytona in their wet pants.

I almost never do room charging. I pay cash.

And I’ve brought food and a beverage to a pool.

I do tend to wear appropriate clothing for the pool, but here at the Ymca where I’m sitting during my son’s dance class, you wouldn’t believe what people try to wear in the pool. Jeans? Really? How is that appropriate? And yet they try.

And lastly, a version of my standard question...what did the pool staff say when you brought these families to their attention?
Exactly. The fully clothed family might be waiting on some luggage, or some other thing also...tho I wouldn't do it, some people might
Not denying the OP saw anything interesting.....stating the obvious leap based on shaky 'evidence' of wrongdoing. Yup, it was strange, nope I wouldn't have given it a second thought as there are all types of people staying at all types of resorts. the remarks about a cooler full of beer and snacks is what gets me..... there is nothing 'illegiitmate' about something like that,nor is paying with cash a red flag for anything. Swimming in street clothes ,maybe. But there are other plausible explanations too,as pp's here have noted.

Not denying the OP saw anything interesting.....stating the obvious leap based on shaky 'evidence' of wrongdoing. Yup, it was strange, nope I wouldn't have given it a second thought as there are all types of people staying at all types of resorts. the remarks about a cooler full of beer and snacks is what gets me..... there is nothing 'illegiitmate' about something like that,nor is paying with cash a red flag for anything. Swimming in street clothes ,maybe. .

This might be an inconvenient truth, but the OP's remarks aren't forwarded in a vacuum. What's most telling, is the propensity of some to pick up the incredibly improbable when confronted with the OP's concerns.

Or that, perhaps, they, too, might be flagrant violators of the rules. Just sayin'.

One has to wonder, for sure.

A situation like this is open to interpretation, but pool hopping has been a problem at Disney resorts for a while. They would not be checking Magic Bands at SAB otherwise. We can’t know conclusively that the people described were using a pool they weren’t entitled to, but it does seem the most likely explanatio. Other explanations could be: the resort had run out of clean pool towels or the people just weren’t accustomed to receiving pool towels or couldn’t find the spot where they were distributed. The cooler full of food could be a money saving measure or a way to provide food for someone with allergies or religious restrictions on their food. Going swimming in one’s clothing could be a cultural or religious custom or evidence that they had been separated from their luggage by their airline, but were financially unwilling or unable to buy new swimsuits. I’ve stayed places that ran out of pool towels, including DCL; I’ve seen people at the public Long Island beach swim in their underwear and I’ve let someone else’s kid wear my shirt to swim in a pool when her mom forgot her bathing suit, I’ve travelled with people who were kosher and could not eat in a lot of Disney restaurants and needed alternative food. I’ve worn nothing but Disney logo clothing and no make-up for the first 48 hours of vacation because my bag didn’t make the plane. I’ve paid cash for drinks, if I’ve already settled up my account and am using the pool after check-out until it’s time to go to the airport, which WDW allows you to do. However, I’ve never had all of these circumstances occur at once. It’s possible, but more likely that people are just trying to use deluxe pools without paying deluxe prices. I wouldn’t want to be in their shoes no matter what. They may have an unjustified sense of entitlement and even think the people who pay deluxe prices are suckers, but at the end of the day, they are one cast member away from being humiliated in front of their kids and they’ve just taught those kds to be dishonest.

If it did not occur frequently enough, do you honestly believe the bean counters at Disney would be paying the hourly wages CM who check magic bands at resort pools? :rolleyes:
We were at the boardwalk last month and there was a family from another resort there. I just had a feeling about them but no proof. They were sitting at the bar which I know is allowed but thy used the pool and had their things on lounges as well. But when they were leaving DH overheard the mother and father say what should we do? And go back to the resort was one of the options.
It’s shocking people let things like this bother them at Disney World.

Disney does a pretty good job of keeping people out of their pools who do not belong, just because they have life guard presence. I stayed at the Dolphin this week for business, and the pool experience was not what i expect from nice / decent hotel.

Biggest issue was people/families coming from from the parks who obviously were not guests at the hotel swimming. How is it obvious???? no pool towels. in order to get a pool towel, you have to show a room key. I saw 3 separate families walk in, sit in the chairs.... pay cash for drinks.....and let 3 or 4 kids, swim in the pool wearing street cloths. litle girls in t-shirts and shorts....bit in shorts....NOT swim attire......then grandma, gets in wearing her full yoga outfit, with a standard bra and t shirt. it was just creepy.

another family...did the same, but they also brought in a full cooler full of beer and food.

When done, they just wrung out their cloths and walked off.

really turned me off. i may rethink just getting a room at the swan / dolphin in the future.
Gross.

Tacky.

Zero class.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts