Savor the Savanna

BeachMouse1

DIS Veteran
So wanting to do the Savor the Savanna. Not going until June but just took a look at availability and wow, I checked all of April and the had like one day available in all of April!
Does this sell out that quickly? Will I need to be on first thing to get the date I want at 60 days out?
what time can you start booking these?

Yes, it fills very quickly. You will want to be online at midnight when your 60 day booking window opens and keep refreshing until it opens up. It will likely fill very quickly.

Yes, on the midnight. Manage expectations on it. We felt like the animal portion was equivalent to the regular safari. Foodwise, it was good, not great. Some things were limited,mainly desserts, so some didn't get to try what they wanted. Maybe it was just our day, but it just wasn't the best. The guides were great.

Not sure when it opens up,,,but I just secured 2 for April. I could find a spot for 1 on many days,,,but not for 2,,,kept checking daily and it finally opened up. Give yourself a couple of days your looking for. If bigger parties,,,good luck

I've done this twice with my wife as the big event to end our trips. In June 2019 it was just us and another couple which was an amazing experience. We did it again in November 2023 and it was the full complement of 12 which is probably the norm now based on what you are seeing.

Like the regular safari, you are at the mercy of what the animals do that day. On our first trip, we were up close with a group of five giraffes, got to see one sitting down which the guide said is rare, and another run full speed in all its awkward glory past us. On this last trip, it was just a couple that came up to eat but still a nice experience. There is a portion where you stop and talk with one of the cast members who cares for the animals (sample size of two, was giraffes both times, which makes sense) and have a chance to ask them questions as they feed the animals which brings them in closer for a longer period of time than you would normally get with the safari. Though ride the regular safari enough times and you'll have times when the giraffes block the way or I had one time where the rhinos were coming right up to us on a night safari and we had to stop with them walking by the side of the vehicle. Since you are in a smaller vehicle there are some routes that you can take that aren't part of the regular safari and some times when you stop for a bit and have more opportunities for pictures.

Eating at the boma is a nice experience, it is a unique location and it's nice to do a regular run of the safari in the morning and be "we'll be eating there later today" or afterwards, on future runs remembering having been there. I have fond memories of the deconstructed smores desert and the first time we did it with only four of us they were asking us to take as much as we could though on with a full group of twelve it was, take one. Similarly, on our first time, they gave us a set of 4 Savor the Savanna wooden coasters each but with the full group it was just 1 each so I do feel like we were particularly lucky on our first time though this past November we had a better view of the lions from the observation area at the boma.

I think both times we did book as close to the 60 day window as possible, though maybe a little bit later in 2019. There was a bit of a happy dance when we managed to get a spot this last time. It felt like it was something that was more sought after than previously and I was psyching myself up for the bridge crossings on the Wild Africa Trek as a backup plan since it has more time slots.

For our last trip, we were at the parks November 9th - 11th and it was busier than any previous trip. Being in Animal Kingdom on our last day and doing Savor the Savanna as our last park experience of the trip was a moment to breathe, relax. and have a drink in a "happy place" which was one of the highlights of the trip.

I've done this twice with my wife as the big event to end our trips. In June 2019 it was just us and another couple which was an amazing experience. We did it again in November 2023 and it was the full complement of 12 which is probably the norm now based on what you are seeing.

Like the regular safari, you are at the mercy of what the animals do that day. On our first trip, we were up close with a group of five giraffes, got to see one sitting down which the guide said is rare, and another run full speed in all its awkward glory past us. On this last trip, it was just a couple that came up to eat but still a nice experience. There is a portion where you stop and talk with one of the cast members who cares for the animals (sample size of two, was giraffes both times, which makes sense) and have a chance to ask them questions as they feed the animals which brings them in closer for a longer period of time than you would normally get with the safari. Though ride the regular safari enough times and you'll have times when the giraffes block the way or I had one time where the rhinos were coming right up to us on a night safari and we had to stop with them walking by the side of the vehicle. Since you are in a smaller vehicle there are some routes that you can take that aren't part of the regular safari and some times when you stop for a bit and have more opportunities for pictures.

Eating at the boma is a nice experience, it is a unique location and it's nice to do a regular run of the safari in the morning and be "we'll be eating there later today" or afterwards, on future runs remembering having been there. I have fond memories of the deconstructed smores desert and the first time we did it with only four of us they were asking us to take as much as we could though on with a full group of twelve it was, take one. Similarly, on our first time, they gave us a set of 4 Savor the Savanna wooden coasters each but with the full group it was just 1 each so I do feel like we were particularly lucky on our first time though this past November we had a better view of the lions from the observation area at the boma.

I think both times we did book as close to the 60 day window as possible, though maybe a little bit later in 2019. There was a bit of a happy dance when we managed to get a spot this last time. It felt like it was something that was more sought after than previously and I was psyching myself up for the bridge crossings on the Wild Africa Trek as a backup plan since it has more time slots.

For our last trip, we were at the parks November 9th - 11th and it was busier than any previous trip. Being in Animal Kingdom on our last day and doing Savor the Savanna as our last park experience of the trip was a moment to breathe, relax. and have a drink in a "happy place" which was one of the highlights of the trip.
Thanks. We did wild Africa trek a few years ago and as well it wasn’t very crowded I have heard now it the same very crowded. I’m hoping if I’m on at my 60 day plus I can get a reservation for 4 people

For those who’ve done this tour, how long is the actual tour? And as for the tapas, do they take dietary restrictions and or offer vegetarian options? TIA!

For those who’ve done this tour, how long is the actual tour? And as for the tapas, do they take dietary restrictions and or offer vegetarian options? TIA!
When we did the Savor the Savannah a few years ago, they definitely took dietary restrictions into account. I filled out a form when we registered for the event and, when we got to the boma, there were items for my restrictions. The tapas are set out as a buffet of sorts and not everyone shares nicely, so, there may not be enough for everyone of certain items.

On both occasions we've gone my wife has done the dairy-free option which resulted in her getting her own tiffin of items which was quite a bit of food and they encouraged her to take any leftovers with her. For our first time, I think they called and asked about any dietary restrictions but on the more recent trip it was through email. From that email:

"Special Dietary Needs This experience includes an authentic African inspired snack. Outside food or drink will not be permitted on the experience. If any member of your party has special dietary needs (Examples: vegetarian, vegan, all food allergies, etc.), please notify our team no later than 48 hours prior to your tour date with the specifics of the allergy. In your response, please include the number of guests with each allergy. Accommodations at check-in cannot be made."

It wasn't a huge buffet, it's not a full dinner but there is a fair bit and a selection of beer and wine along with POG juice ('cause you know... Disney World). You'll also probably hear from your guides that it's the exclusive menu in Disney World, made for just 12 people a day with items that aren't available on any other menu.

In terms of the amount time... probably 40-45 minutes on the initial safari, 50-60 minutes at the boma to eat and take in the views and then the remainder of the 2 hours for portion of the safari returning from the boma. During that initial part, you'll have the time you stop with cast member caring for the animals to ask questions and have a moment where your a bit closer with the giraffes and other animals in that area.

Question about this tour… it looks like it is offered twice a day, at 3:15 pm and 4:30 pm.
Any reason that one time is better than the other?

We are going to wdw the first week of September this year and wanted to try this.

If it makes a difference, we will try to get a dinner reservation at Sanaa for after park close (guessing park will close 7pm so will try for 8 or 8:30pm reservation).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Question about this tour… it looks like it is offered twice a day, at 3:15 pm and 4:30 pm.
Any reason that one time is better than the other?

We are going to wdw the first week of September this year and wanted to try this.

If it makes a difference, we will try to get a dinner reservation at Sanaa for after park close (guessing park will close 7pm so will try for 8 or 8:30pm reservation).

Thanks for your thoughts!
We are going in June and took the 4:30 the animals are not very active in the heat so figured as late as possible for us. Also it gives us more time to maybe do a pool morning at our resort and go to the park a little later.

We are going in June and took the 4:30 the animals are not very active in the heat so figured as late as possible for us. Also it gives us more time to maybe do a pool morning at our resort and go to the park a little later.
We did it in December and the animals had already been called by the bell to go “home” by the time we had our dinner on the savanna. We still enjoyed the experience, but we’ve seen many more animals having dinner at Sanaa.

We did it in December and the animals had already been called by the bell to go “home” by the time we had our dinner on the savanna. We still enjoyed the experience, but we’ve seen many more animals having dinner at Sanaa.

That was the 4:30pm? I wonder if they go in earlier in the winter months (when it gets darker ealier) or if it's the same all year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter